Learner drivers

bill

Banned
Right i passed my test 27 years ago and i am out with the wife and she is practising her driving i have looked online at youtube videos there all England but she is doing a lot of things different and says her instructor has not said she is wrong or is told her to do things i say she is doing wrong.
How much has it changed.
First of dropping it down into first before turning a corner
When she turns out onto a main road she said her instructor said you dont have to get upto near road speed asap.
Plus not staying 3 foot away from the kerb or to close to parked cars skimming them.
Ridding on the brake around a corner.
Anything else i will add as i remember.

CarlosR

Drives
BMW
Hello good luck with it. I think the aspects you mentioned are basic to learn to drive

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Defo shouldn’t be putting it into first to turn a corner. As for the three feet thing I don’t think that was ever discussed in my lessons, you just knew to stay away from parked cars lol

bill

Banned
OP
bill
@Stu Beck when she was doing highway code i read it to her 39 inches her instructor said it doesnt matter now. we are forever in the drains its like up down up down. my back cant take it.

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but here's what I remember from my lessons;

- Road positioning - Not allowed too close to the verge / parked cars but also not allowed to ride the dashed white line.

- Gearing - Although my instructor never taught me it, you are meant to come down the gears coming up to junctions, stop signs or tight corners (don't think you'd ever need to go into 1st though). On that point if the right gear is selected for a corner you shouldn't need to ride the brakes but always be prepared to stop in the distance you can see.

Acceleration - I was always told to get up to road speed as reasonably soon as possible, ie. no harsh accelerating but don't take forever either

Airhead

RMS Regular
I was an examiner many moons ago - it never ceased to amaze me the total sh!te that instructors fed their students. I recently sat with my daughter who had taken a few lessons from an ADI and it seems little has changed. Eventually I had to get her to stop taking lessons and I got her through the test myself. There are good instructors out there but they're few and far between!

The required driving standard hasn't really changed but the elements of the test have. I've seen a few youtube videos - some are good and some aren't. Specifying distances from the kerb or parked cars isn't that helpful - it depends on circumstances (lane width, speed, other traffic etc).

Good luck.

Airhead

RMS Regular
Coming down through the gears was one of the rubbish bits of tuition. Slow down with the brakes and select the appropriate gear for the speed and conditions is the right way.

Airhead

RMS Regular
And I've been known to do a bit of heel and toeing if I'm driving something tasty but I still don't recommend it for L drivers 😂.

The point for learners is that block changing gives them more time to think about other things like checking mirrors, steering etc. To be clear changing down through the gears in itself won't be marked down but it often leads to other faults that will.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
@Airhead I quite like coming down through the gears when driving. Granted it probably is harder on the clutch but I feel it gives me more control and has me better prepared for the next maneuver :grinning:

Could always change without the clutch pedal 🤪 be very friendly on the clutch if it's not in use! Just make sure you don't break any synchros Lmfao

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
Could always change without the clutch pedal 🤪 be very friendly on the clutch if it's not in use! Just make sure you don't break any synchros Lmfao

Bit of left foot braking and rev matching, I don't think the instructor would have any problems with that! :laughing:

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
I wanted her to go auto she says no way.

Can you not just let the instructor teach her then she can drive her own car after she passes? Will save a lot of headaches / arguments while she learns if you are together.

The techniques have changed a lot, my wife learned 2 years ago and some of the ways / things she was taught was totally different to me.

bill

Banned
OP
bill
@ChrisR She is the one that wants to go out with me i am only keeping her safe i have not swore at her or raised my voice.
I have only told her what i think she is doing wrong but i would be like her and most likely not listen.
We have been married 28 years and had bigger problems than not agreeing over how to drive.
I just dont want to be telling her she is wrong if she is doing things right.