RMS European Road Trip

European Road Trip, Summer 2018

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Ive been aiming for something like this with my TT when i finally get it to a "finished" stage...(not that it will EVER be finished),

But i was planing Across into Belgium for a car show there, and possibly hitting Spa after, then either onto worthersee in austria for wörthersee treffen or the Nurburgring then do the other after....then back home....then i started thinking too much and thinking Italy etc as well make it one epic road trip lol i then remembered i Drive a TT with little boot space to begin with not to mention adding a subwoofer and amp, and air suspension tank etc. doesnt leave much space for the camera bag, laptop, etc....then luggage for 2 people....

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
I’m not looking the merchant type accommodation but tenting is out for me. Quite happily do a 1 star ahead of tenting. As long as it’s clean, has a bed and a shower I’m easy. That said if tenting was the popular choice I could look for my own alternative accommodation

Keep us posted on thoughts. Defo would not rule a trip out

Cartunes

RMS Regular
OP
Cartunes
Drives
Schkodah
I’m not looking the merchant type accommodation but tenting is out for me. Quite happily do a 1 star ahead of tenting. As long as it’s clean, has a bed and a shower I’m easy. That said if tenting was the popular choice I could look for my own alternative accommodation

Keep us posted on thoughts. Defo would not rule a trip out
Unless you lost weight recently buddy.......

We're gonna need a wider car!!!!
giphy.gif

I'd prefer to stay in a comfy bed and will be hoteling as opposed to camping too

Last edited:

56oval

RMS Regular
Del can you fire some emails out to potential hotels and tell them you have 100k+ followers on your instagram account. Highlight the fact you are quite the maestro ( not MG ) social media influencer, if you can bag a free night for us all in the White Moose Cafe' before getting the boat out of Dublin, i'm in. (y)

Last edited:

Cartunes

RMS Regular
OP
Cartunes
Drives
Schkodah
Del can you fire some emails out to potential hotels and tell them you have 100k+ followers on your instagram account. Highlight the fact you are quite the maestro ( not MG ) social media influencer, if you can bag a free night for us all in the White Moose Cafe' before getting the boat out of Dublin, i'm in. (y)
What's an Instagram?
giphy.gif

Aha..... gotcha @56oval ....... my finger is firmly off-pulse where blogging is concerned. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.la...ngly-sends-her-massive-bill-20180120.amp.html

Edit: having read some reviews of the cafe, I can't wait to pop in for a skinny decaff latte with vegan wrap!

20180121_214020.png

Last edited:

Cartunes

RMS Regular
OP
Cartunes
Drives
Schkodah
I've finally decided to do this trip this year as I won't have a project or job to get in the way - well, apart from Job hunting in England, adding a laundry room to the house and turning three existing rooms into a family room, moving the bathroom and possibly knocking down and rebuilding the garage to aid building a small retirement cottage behind the existing property........ but hey ho, I've got a motoring journalist chum to pencil in July 2019 as a potential date. If anyone wants to come along in a Boxster to share driving duties and a few costs, then let me know. People with poor hygiene and those who fart in confined spaces need not apply. Unless @Big Pimp supplies a few litres of liquid air freshener and in case the hood has to be closed.

N.B. this is an ad-hoc trip over 4-5 days just to experience some amazing roads and scenery - we may well end up at Stelvio, alternatively, we could be re-enacting scenes from the Top Gear Trip to Romania. Open (not mucky) minds only

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Sounds class Del @Cartunes

May even see you somewhere along the way as we'll also be playing in the Alps at end of July beginning of August time en route to Hungary. Make sure you do the other passes as the Stelvio itself was a bit too busy, some of the others like the St Bernardino were awesome as they were so quiet. Actually preferred the Umbrail on the other side of the Stelvio.

The Boxster will be class to do the trip in, enjoy it!

Cartunes

RMS Regular
OP
Cartunes
Drives
Schkodah
Sounds class Del @Cartunes

May even see you somewhere along the way as we'll also be playing in the Alps at end of July beginning of August time en route to Hungary. Make sure you do the other passes as the Stelvio itself was a bit too busy, some of the others like the St Bernardino were awesome as they were so quiet. Actually preferred the Umbrail on the other side of the Stelvio.

The Boxster will be class to do the trip in, enjoy it!
The Boxster is very forgiving on fast corners. I was born with a health and safety mindset so just can't drive rear engined cars, hence didn't opt for a 911. One day I'll learn how to drive, maybe!
Might see you around Europe sometime Gav, but certainly not in Iraquistan or wherever you work. Thanks for the tips.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Funny, I've been thinking/planning something similar recently when I had to go to San Remo and thought about driving down - would like to do a Euro trip in the 996, but I don't think it's going to happen this year for me. Maybe 2020.

Give your route a bit more attention though Del. There's a ton of stuff online about this sort of thing, and good advice about places and events to stop at. E.g. you could tie it in with say Le Mans weekend, and museum visits (I'd be planning Merc/Porsche/Ferrari/Alfa). BarryPorts thread on this very forum from a while back will also give some ideas. Initially I thought hotels/B&Bs too, but the more I thought about it, the more I quite liked the idea of just sticking a tent in the car and winging it. With an airbed I'd assume I would survive ok! Might have to pretend it's a work trip too ... 8o|

Cartunes

RMS Regular
OP
Cartunes
Drives
Schkodah
Funny, I've been thinking/planning something similar recently when I had to go to San Remo and thought about driving down - would like to do a Euro trip in the 996, but I don't think it's going to happen this year for me. Maybe 2020.

Give your route a bit more attention though Del. There's a ton of stuff online about this sort of thing, and good advice about places and events to stop at. E.g. you could tie it in with say Le Mans weekend, and museum visits (I'd be planning Merc/Porsche/Ferrari/Alfa). BarryPorts thread on this very forum from a while back will also give some ideas. Initially I thought hotels/B&Bs too, but the more I thought about it, the more I quite liked the idea of just sticking a tent in the car and winging it. With an airbed I'd assume I would survive ok! Might have to pretend it's a work trip too ... 8o|
Thanks mate. I don’t like crowds or events, just love scenery and sunsets etc. So I’m simply bucket list crossing. I’m very happy if I never see a tent again but cheers for the advice. We are all different, and I’ve had some great suggestions from many folks for the trip.

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Bumping this back up again as looking some advice for driving routes from the folks who've been around the Stelvio Pass. @gav525 ?

I am thinking of flying in to Milan next month hiring an Abarth 595 Tourismo and taking a three day trip up to do the Stelvio and back down to Milan again. Is there a better side of Stelvio to go up and down, or does it not really matter?

I was also thinking I could also skirt up one side of Lake Garda and stay round there the first night, but would it just be a frustrating traffic jam?

Rather than go near Lake Garda would I be better just heading straight for Stelvio and then doing Grimsel and Furka? I'm getting the feeling from reading up on other sites that they might even be better than Stelvio. Are they much further out of the way? Any other suggestions? Ta :grinning:

Screenshot 2019-08-12 at 21.43.22.png

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Bumping this back up again as looking some advice for driving routes from the folks who've been around the Stelvio Pass. @gav525 ?

I am thinking of flying in to Milan next month hiring an Abarth 595 Tourismo and taking a three day trip up to do the Stelvio and back down to Milan again. Is there a better side of Stelvio to go up and down, or does it not really matter?

I was also thinking I could also skirt up one side of Lake Garda and stay round there the first night, but would it just be a frustrating traffic jam?

Rather than go near Lake Garda would I be better just heading straight for Stelvio and then doing Grimsel and Furka? I'm getting the feeling from reading up on other sites that they might even be better than Stelvio. Are they much further out of the way? Any other suggestions? Ta :grinning:

View attachment 246660

I'm here! Lol

We flew into Milan and hired a wee 500 a couple of years ago, its aa great idea and saves all the driving from the UK balls.

For the Stelvio, the better side is definitely 100% the Umbrail, but that's only because the cyclists, motorbikers and other cars ruin the Stelvio. Its a cracking road otherwise! If you could aim to be on the Stelvio really early morning and head up I've rut would be grand. Likewise the roads around Garda can be busy, but when you get a run there's nothing else like it. Proper Top Gear style roads, tunnels and bridges! Riva del Garda on your route is a class wee place, could be handy to stay there and leave for Stelvio early?

Though like you say, you could head the tiger way from Milan and do grimsel et all. You'd get the grimsel, tremola, gotthard, furka possibly San Bernardino all done in one day, maybe even a couple more, then head for somewhere en route to Stelvio like St moritz(or Samedan as we did).

Milan is a good wee base, nothing in the city itself worth seeing like but handy for good roads

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
There’s lots of really useful info on Pistonheads on this sort of thing. Might take a bit cross reading threads but it’s all there, esp guidance towards less busy/touristy driving routes, and motor museum stop offs etc.

For what it’s worth I enjoyed a couple of days mozying round Milan eating pastry breakfasts and checking out the architecture. DaVinci museum was interesting too.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
@Mont I would recommend the following route. Leaving Milan up the LHS of Lake Como, follow the route heading to the Stelio Pass via the Umbrail Pass (you can head down to Trafoi to get the rest of the stelvio switchbacks, Hotel Madatcsh is a good spot to stay) back up to the top of stelvio via switchbacks and down to Bormio and on to the Gavia Pass (incredible). Bardolino on Lake Garda is a nice spot to stop off then back to Milan.

Do not miss out Gavia Pass. Its my favourite of all the passes, scenery is absolutely incredible and never seemed to be busy with Tourists. Ive done a variation of that route 3 times and thats the best combination i'd suggest so far. Davos is a good stop for cake / beers on route.

Last edited:

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
How long are you planning on going for @Mont to complete the route etc with some beer stops lol

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
@Mont I would recommend the following route. Leaving Milan up the LHS of Lake Como, follow the route heading to the Stelio Pass via the Umbrail Pass (you can head down to Trafoi to get the rest of the stelvio switchbacks, Hotel Madatcsh is a good spot to stay) back up to the top of stelvio via switchbacks and down to Bormio and on to the Gavia Pass (incredible). Bardolino on Lake Garda is a nice spot to stop off then back to Milan.

Do not miss out Gavia Pass. Its my favourite of all the passes, scenery is absolutely incredible and never seemed to be busy with Tourists. Ive done a variation of that route 3 times and thats the best combination i'd suggest so far. Davos is a good stop for cake / beers on route.

Thanks Richie

I might use this as a shorter run. To do all the passes Gav has suggested has me wondering if I could do them all within the time 8o|

How long are you planning on going for @Mont to complete the route etc with some beer stops lol

Fly in on Wednesday morning and fly out on Saturday.

I've been looking a bit more in to it this weekend, and as the flight back to Belfast is 9am Saturday morning I'm not sure I could fit it all in without wrecking myself. I'm thinking I might fly out of Belfast and back home via Dublin as there are mid afternoon and evening flights.

Currently thinking about this route, although very happy to hear alternatives....

DAY 1 Arrive airport late morning and drive to Ulrichen so I can get a good run at as many passes as possible the next morning

Screenshot 2019-08-18 at 22.26.50.png

DAY 2 - Drive grimsel, tremola, gotthard, furka, San Bernardino to St Moritz/Samedan. 5hrs 21min though!

Screenshot 2019-08-18 at 22.27.49.png

DAY 3 - St Moritz, Stelvio Pass, Riva Del Garda. 4hr 45min

Screenshot 2019-08-18 at 22.51.38.png

DAY 4 - Riva del Garda to the airport

Screenshot 2019-08-18 at 22.51.49.png
[/QUOTE]

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
That looks a good plan to me there. 5hrs 21mins is nothing, though will be more like 8hrs with stopping for photos, coffee, lunch and toilet breaks. Leave at 7am and make a full day of it, easy!

St Moritz is good, but really pricey! Saying that the whole country is pricey lol. Samedan worked well for us as there was some street festival on so we were able to drink wine and eat waffles til all hours. I'd say it would be quiet enough the rest of the time though.

To be honest any of the villages just past St Moritz is a good place to stop.

Umbrail is the best one out of them lot for driving by far, it's always so quiet and like your own racetrack. Tremola is very slow, but scenic enough. Wish I was going again

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Thanks for all the advise on here folks. Flights finally booked along with the wee Abarth 595.

It had better be a fun wee car as I'd left it so late to book one the price ended up almost three times that of a Golf/A3/1-Series! Just think of the Insta-likes I guess! :weary_face:

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Thanks for all the advise on here folks. Flights finally booked along with the wee Abarth 595.

It had better be a fun wee car as I'd left it so late to book one the price ended up almost three times that of a Golf/A3/1-Series! Just think of the Insta-likes I guess! :weary_face:

Sounds class, perfect wee car for it! Plenty photos remember

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
I’ve done 3 and 4 when staying in riva del garda, lovely place and great roads, can get tight if you got off piste though!