Once common cars that you don't see anymore

Lee

RMS Regular
Glanzas.

When I was in upper sixth there were loads of them around Lisburn etc. Saw one at the weekend and couldn't think of the last time I saw one at home. I'd say there are a good few tucked away but there was a time when it seemed like every r-plater had a glanza (most likely insured in a parent name and as a 1.3 starlet 😂).

I had this only a couple of years ago. Possibly the only car I ever regret selling.

20151016_135907.jpg

It could have done with a lick of paint to leave it right but zero rust anywhere and like brand new under the bonnet. Even the standard 130ish bhp felt nice in it. And it was sooo easy run!

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Also noticed if you drive something 25+ years old you get constant looks from people (and let out more). Just stand out so much in the sea of modernity! Honestly think people have gotten more precious about what they’re seen in and cars are becoming more and more throw away with lease deals.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Also noticed if you drive something 25+ years old you get constant looks from people (and let out more). Just stand out so much in the sea of modernity! Honestly think people have gotten more precious about what they’re seen in and cars are becoming more and more throw away with lease deals.

Tortured at the petrol pumps or parking at Tesco. Usually some auld fella with a red face and all day to burn danders over to talk about skinny tyres on modern cars / 4 star petrol / some obscure wash & wax from the 1970's / a 7 year old insignia he once owned, etc. Invariably has just hopped out of a 2019 lime green Hyundai Kona diesel.

I'm always amazed what you can get for your money in the UK, especially in the 15-20 year group. Not old enough to be classics yet, plenty of rough ones about dragging the value of the good ones down, no-one wants them but absolutely stacked with useable tech and for the most part still built to last. I'd fill sheds with them if I had space.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Tortured at the petrol pumps or parking at Tesco. Usually some auld fella with a red face and all day to burn danders over to talk about skinny tyres on modern cars / 4 star petrol / some obscure wash & wax from the 1970's / a 7 year old insignia he once owned, etc. Invariably has just hopped out of a 2019 lime green Hyundai Kona diesel.

I'm always amazed what you can get for your money in the UK, especially in the 15-20 year group. Not old enough to be classics yet, plenty of rough ones about dragging the value of the good ones down, no-one wants them but absolutely stacked with useable tech and for the most part still built to last. I'd fill sheds with them if I had space.

Haha true. preaching to converted. I'm currently waiting on a Carina e 1.8 auto with 39k :joy:

Gambit

RMS Regular
'95 Lexus LS400 still tending to daily duties spotted this morning. Not in bad shape considering almost a quarter century of use.

View attachment 251131
View attachment 251130
Billy Stevenson, owner of the Park Avenue, drove these all his life...i remember back in about 1992 he had one and used it to ferry the staff home at night - no joke he got about 10 wee waiters/waitresses squeezed into it each time! pretty sure he still has one which is always parked out front of PA

as for aul lad talking points.....ever get much chat about Duckhams oil? you know the one that was green back in the day :joy:

EDIT:
even their google promo pics has one sitting outside lol
1568882254113.png

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I had to scrap this back in March this year due to rot :worried: had lots of character and it was a complete tank. I miss it!

it was certainly one of the last in the country

View attachment 250941
A neighbour of my dad's (old essentric car collector sort, buys up anything) is selling this.

arosa

RMS Regular
Drives
LEONFR+..Cupra.
There’s at least 4 mk2 Fiesta in York Road area see them all the time
Haha true. preaching to converted. I'm currently waiting on a Carina e 1.8 auto with 39k :joy:
I’ve a set of alloys for sale my dad had on his Carina e if there of any use give me a shout

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Billy Stevenson, owner of the Park Avenue, drove these all his life...i remember back in about 1992 he had one and used it to ferry the staff home at night - no joke he got about 10 wee waiters/waitresses squeezed into it each time! pretty sure he still has one which is always parked out front of PA

as for aul lad talking points.....ever get much chat about Duckhams oil? you know the one that was green back in the day :joy:

EDIT:
even their google promo pics has one sitting outside lol
View attachment 251137

The Halfords Classic mineral oil comes in a metal can and is still green. Used to use it in the metro lol