How do you afford your car?

Toeman

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf gti pp
as nicky says would rather us having to try and help out as much as we can rather than the daughter trying to study and do a part-time job as well all depends on the course and the level of work they need to put into that

amcm1

RMS Regular
I was always taught to live within my means and never get something if you cant afford to buy it out right and still live that way which has paid off in the long run for me, although i can see the temptation with the deals you can get now with finance. It all depends how you value money, i could go and buy my dream car but simply wouldn't put that money into a car as i dont think its worth it. I have almost zero interest in any cars made after 2005, see people breaking their necks at newish expensive german stuff and they ask me what it is etc and i wouldn't have even noticed it driving past unless it was an m3, c63 amg etc

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
So if someone can't buy their home outright does that also mean they aren't living within their means?

Some people prefer a payment every month as opposed to sinking their assets into the likes of a car. Nothing to do with not living within their means in my opinion.

amcm1

RMS Regular
Well obviously a house is a different matter cos very few people are going to have 100k plus lying about. Like i said its how you value money and also what suits the individual, id rather spend a couple thousand on a car that suits my needs and have less outgoings each month than get something at say 15k, pay it off plus interest, depreciation, expensive repair bills etc. By living within someones means i was referring to people that have to have something for appearances when maybe they cant afford it or its more than what they need just to keep up an image as i know a few people like that

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
I put £40k into bitcoin and two years later was able to buy my car outright for £20k.

😭

(This is a joke btw)
A boy I know boy who on the first run out with these bought a grass grinder with bitcoin to the equivalent of £12,000 in today’s value. Sick as a dog wouldn’t be in it 🤣🤣

WSM

RMS Regular
Drives
R8
A boy I know boy who on the first run out with these bought a grass grinder with bitcoin to the equivalent of £12,000 in today’s value. Sick as a dog wouldn’t be in it 🤣🤣
I've quite a few stories like that :laughing::laughing:

Sure it's hindsight - at the time spending the Cryptocurrency made sense.

WSM

RMS Regular
Drives
R8
the great finance debate of 2019
Horses for courses. If I want to drive a Supercar I will because I know I can afford to service the debt. I know I certainly cannot afford to buy a car of such calibre without finance... Similarly to my house. I know I can't buy it outright. I feel like finance for things like a car and house are somewhat different than me taking 5K on a credit card to go to Magaluf and watch Sandra from Essex slut drop to "Applebottom Jeans and the boots with the fur..." because seriously, the whole club are ****ing not looking at her.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Horses for courses. If I want to drive a Supercar I will because I know I can afford to service the debt. I know I certainly cannot afford to buy a car of such calibre without finance... Similarly to my house. I know I can't buy it outright. I feel like finance for things like a car and house are somewhat different than me taking 5K on a credit card to go to Magaluf and watch Sandra from Essex slut drop to "Applebottom Jeans and the boots with the fur..." because seriously, the whole club are ****ing not looking at her.
is Sandra good looking?

amcm1

RMS Regular
Didnt mean my original post to come across as being cheeky towards anyone who pays stuff off or stating i was loaded, i drive a 98 civic as a daily and dont get paid a whole lot and most of my dream cars could be had for 10k. Simply meant in my opinion i would prefer to buy something outright that i can afford when it does the same job as something at 5 times the cost but if its what your interested in and what you want then fair enough, i just dont see the value in spending that sort of money on a car.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
By this rate of going i'm a millionare, no car finance and no mortgage.
Reality is I havent 2p to my name, house has a second hand kitchen and currently saving to finish outside. All my choice, I dont care what anyone else thinks, got a couple of lucky breaks selling cars which helped greatly with paying to build the house, but dont know if I would recommend it to anyone.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Didnt mean my original post to come across as being cheeky towards anyone who pays stuff off or stating i was loaded, i drive a 98 civic as a daily and dont get paid a whole lot and most of my dream cars could be had for 10k. Simply meant in my opinion i would prefer to buy something outright that i can afford when it does the same job as something at 5 times the cost but if its what your interested in and what you want then fair enough, i just dont see the value in spending that sort of money on a car.
its rms someone will always be offended :joy:
By this rate of going i'm a millionare, no car finance and no mortgage.
Reality is I havent 2p to my name, house has a second hand kitchen and currently saving to finish outside. All my choice, I dont care what anyone else thinks, got a couple of lucky breaks selling cars which helped greatly with paying to build the house, but dont know if I would recommend it to anyone.
when you save up for the outside let me know I will do you mates rates ;)

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
The Golf is PCP. Still not sure if it works to our advantage but it’s our main family car and I wanted something newish with a bit of warranty.
My car is a 20 year old A4 and to be honest I love it. It’s cheap to run, can park it anywhere without worrying about dents and it’s actually quite comfy. So much so we took it to Dublin for a few nights over the summer.
I think the next family car won’t be PCP’d. I’d be happy with the A4, wife not so much lol