Motorbike CBT thread - Ask all related questions here

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Still the same stuff, direct access since you're over 24 and job jobbed - ride anything after.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
I think your only option is D/A as you're over 24. Where/with who are you doing your test? If you don't mind me asking

Lee

RMS Regular
Thanks for the replies. I'm from the west so would be going to BMG motorcycle training. I have just noticed on his site this (the bit saying until 2018):

Screenshot_2018-04-28-22-00-35.png

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Don't panic nothing has changed yet (y) the main parts of new system is a theory test before CBT, revoked CBT if you collect 6 points and learning time instead of test to upgrade.

Get done sharpish :grinning:

Lee

RMS Regular
Don't panic nothing has changed yet (y) the main parts of new system is a theory test before CBT, revoked CBT if you collect 6 points and learning time instead of test to upgrade.

Get done sharpish :grinning:

Happy days. Thanks. Will get on it!

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
Is anyone experiencing difficulty booking a theory test, my friend is trying to book his but only gets the option to book a taxi theory test.

He rang persons (the organisation who run the theory test) and they said there is a block on his license and needs an entitlement check from the DVLA which takes 5 days. This seems strange as he has never had points or convictions on his license.

He then emailed the DVLA and they said this wasn't the case, there was a glitch with the system and they instructed Pearson to call him and arrange a booking over the phone.

Pearson called back but said once again that they can't book the test until there has been an entitlement check and the glitch has been sorted.

WTF, this has been going on for 2 weeks now.

theory.JPG

Last edited:

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Is anyone experiencing difficulty booking a theory test, my friend is trying to book his but only gets the option to book a taxi theory test.

He rang persons (the organisation who run the theory test) and they said there is a block on his license and needs an entitlement check from the DVLA which takes 5 days. This seems strange as he has never had points or convictions on his license.

He then emailed the DVLA and they said this wasn't the case, there was a glitch with the system and they instructed Pearson to call him and arrange a booking over the phone.

Pearson called back but said once again that they can't book the test until there has been an entitlement check and the glitch has been sorted.

WTF, this has been going on for 2 weeks now.

View attachment 253010

I had the exact same thing, I sent an email to dva@infastructure-ni.gov.uk, they rang me about booking a date over the phone. Then got an email from Pearson confirming the booking. Tell him to ring 0345 600 6700.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
I had the exact same thing, I sent an email to dva@infastructure-ni.gov.uk, they rang me about booking a date over the phone. Then got an email from Pearson confirming the booking. Tell him to ring 0345 600 6700.

Cheers Ben, got sorted today, but only because the entitlement check came back clear from the Dvla, or so they said, he tried that number before with no luck. A load of unnecessary hassle, I'm just glad I got mine sorted when it was a single theory and practical test.

Reactions: Ben

Jonny1992

RMS Regular
Drives
too much
Sooo I goofed .. I done my cbt before the start of covid. Completely forgot about the expiry on it and during covid never got round to getting lessons and getting the test.

So anyone know a good motorcycle trainer mallusk/ newtownabbey area. Could do the cbt with again and take me through the test

redxl77

RMS Regular
Sooo I goofed .. I done my cbt before the start of covid. Completely forgot about the expiry on it and during covid never got round to getting lessons and getting the test.

So anyone know a good motorcycle trainer mallusk/ newtownabbey area. Could do the cbt with again and take me through the test

Who did you do it with first time? Not exactly Mallusk but I recommend McCallen's. I failed my mod1 test back just before Christmas and I keep telling myself to finish what I started, just hate been examined by someone ticking boxes on a sheet..:mad:

Jonny1992

RMS Regular
Drives
too much
Who did you do it with first time? Not exactly Mallusk but I recommend McCallen's. I failed my mod1 test back just before Christmas and I keep telling myself to finish what I started, just hate been examined by someone ticking boxes on a sheet..:mad:

Aye mate I hate doing tests I’d not long finished my hgv when I done the cbt wasn’t feeling doing the rest of it haha then covid hit and buggered it

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
McCallens still a good place to get my CBT sorted? Any other options closer to Antrim/Belfast. Also, is there a provisional license specific to motorcycles or does my full car license entitle me to learn on a bike? then exchange when I pass my bike test? couldn't get a clear cut answer online.

Calco

RMS Regular
Drives
Octavia
McCallens still a good place to get my CBT sorted? Any other options closer to Antrim/Belfast. Also, is there a provisional license specific to motorcycles or does my full car license entitle me to learn on a bike? then exchange when I pass my bike test? couldn't get a clear cut answer online.
IV just got my CBT with go motorcycle training. based at blacks Road park and ride (between Dunmurry and Finaghy? on a Sunday, was a great seat up withh all gear provided if needs be.

I completed my CBT with my full car license. As far as I know thats what you ride on until you pass the full test and do an exchange.
IV just got my CBT with go motorcycle training. based at blacks Road park and ride (between Dunmurry and Finaghy) on a Sunday, was a great seat up withh all gear provided if needs be.

I completed my CBT with my full car license. As far as I know thats what you ride on until you pass the full test and do an

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Same as above - re. licence.

I was going to use go motorcycle training - but ended up using BMG Motorcycle Training outside Enniskillen (be down that way often) - Great setup.

Off road test booked for 2 weeks - shouldn't be an issue hopefully.

Get stuck in Venom - great craic.

Reactions: Lee

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Hoping to get this all sorted before summer. Had bikes when I was in the US but have to start from scratch again here! theory booked for end of next week and GO have a cancellation on Sunday I'm debating taking (pending marital approval)..

any thoughts on just buying a 125 so I can get scooting about or, take lessons on rented bike and get a proper bike once through..?

Lee

RMS Regular
Same as above - re. licence.

I was going to use go motorcycle training - but ended up using BMG Motorcycle Training outside Enniskillen (be down that way often) - Great setup.

Off road test booked for 2 weeks - shouldn't be an issue hopefully.

Get stuck in Venom - great craic.

I done mine with BMG in 2018. Great setup is right, and nice country roads to start and end your lessons on.

Reactions: WSK

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
CBT done, theory on Friday. CBT instructor took me on all the bike routes round Ballymena, spent 4 hours riding the routes..! few niggles to fix (kept forgetting to cancel the indicator) but looking good.

he pulled me over early on and was giving me a hard time for riding so slow being an ex-racer. Turns out I didn't realise I could ride the speed limits if I'm on the road with a qualified instructor :joy:

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Indicator got me a few times also!! I got a little 125 to practice on, mainly as it popped up pretty cheap - Good for nipping around and getting some miles in but really unless you got one cheap (not easy) i wouldn't bother + sounds like your familiar with bikes.. i had zero experience before but flying after few lessons.

Haha, yes my first time on the road the instructor was asking me to wail on, felt like i was doing 90, but when i looked down it was 35! :joy:

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
CBT done, theory on Friday. CBT instructor took me on all the bike routes round Ballymena, spent 4 hours riding the routes..! few niggles to fix (kept forgetting to cancel the indicator) but looking good.

he pulled me over early on and was giving me a hard time for riding so slow being an ex-racer. Turns out I didn't realise I could ride the speed limits if I'm on the road with a qualified instructor :joy:
Today I learned 🤣

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Indicator got me a few times also!! I got a little 125 to practice on, mainly as it popped up pretty cheap - Good for nipping around and getting some miles in but really unless you got one cheap (not easy) i wouldn't bother + sounds like your familiar with bikes.. i had zero experience before but flying after few lessons.

Haha, yes my first time on the road the instructor was asking me to wail on, felt like i was doing 90, but when i looked down it was 35! :joy:

I had road bikes from 2006 to 2012, then went track/race only so I hadn't actually ridden a bike on a public road in 10 years and never in NI. Last time I threw my leg over a bike was in 2014 so it's been a while and I was legitimately a bit nervous. The Gods smiled on me and the bike I'm learning on is an SV650 which is what I raced in the US, I had forgotten about that torque and the buzz of that twin through the frame.

I'm still debating on a 125. would def love something to get out on NOW and build up some confidence and practise the skills for the test. All depends on dates for the practical tests which I can't even check until my theory is passed. If there's going to be a bit of a wait, I'll look for a cheapish 125 and get practising. Wife still very much on the fence with this, unfortunately she saw too much back in my racing days :joy:

cheers for input and encouragement.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Is it mostly Belfast based? Dont mind travelling for the CBT but would want lessons close by.