Motorbike test and 1st bike advice

Bizizl

RMS Member
Drives
350z
Doing my mod 2 test soon in Lisburn.

Is there anything weird or anything to be aware of on those particular test routes for those who have done it? I'd rather not fail on missing a weird sign or whatever the case may be!

Reactions: Lee

Bizizl

RMS Member
Drives
350z
Did the test today. There wasn't anything weird or wonderful. Only thing is there's not many repeater speed signs in the area so if ya miss the first signs it's guesswork.. I did it at 1205 today (Tuesday) and it was pretty busy.

Lee

RMS Regular
Did the test today. There wasn't anything weird or wonderful. Only thing is there's not many repeater speed signs in the area so if ya miss the first signs it's guesswork.. I did it at 1205 today (Tuesday) and it was pretty busy.

What is MOD 2 is that your on road test? I done my test last year but there was no mention of mod 1 or mod 2 etc lol. Did you pass? Bike ideas?

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Congrats, my friend had his first thing yesterday morning in lisburn, during rush hour. I though he was mad booking that time, and he was panicing on monday, but sailed through with 3 minors. I was impressed

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Congrats. If there's streetlights it's a 30 unless repeaters say otherwise. If there's no streetlights it's NSL unless repeated otherwise.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
don't worry you will get plenty of practice and building your skills in this regard during your future riding days!

Reactions: Lee

Bizizl

RMS Member
Drives
350z
Congrats. If there's streetlights it's a 30 unless repeaters say otherwise. If there's no streetlights it's NSL unless repeated otherwise.
I got a minor for excessive speed - came out of a 50mph into a 40mph, but I missed the first big signs before the turn and continued at 50mph as it seemed like a reasonable speed for the road. On the 40mph road there were streetlights but no repeaters (I was looking for them because the examiner had dropped back).

What is MOD 2 is that your on road test? I done my test last year but there was no mention of mod 1 or mod 2 etc lol. Did you pass? Bike ideas?

Mod1 is off road, Mod2 is on road.
Yeh I passed - two minors. I bought my KTM 690sm few weeks ago and got it taxed and insured this morning. What a machine!

Lee

RMS Regular
I got a minor for excessive speed - came out of a 50mph into a 40mph, but I missed the first big signs before the turn and continued at 50mph as it seemed like a reasonable speed for the road. On the 40mph road there were streetlights but no repeaters (I was looking for them because the examiner had dropped back).

Mod1 is off road, Mod2 is on road.
Yeh I passed - two minors. I bought my KTM 690sm few weeks ago and got it taxed and insured this morning. What a machine!

Well done, 2 minors is good going! Any pics of the Supermoto? Is that your first bike or have you had smaller bikes before?

FN2DAVE

RMS Regular
Drives
Seat Leon
Complete bike noob here , Just a quick question guys. Looking at cheaper brand boots online (for lessons/test only) have yet to try any on as I'm away quite abit form home.
I'm a size 8 shoe, do you guys go a size up when buying bike boots or stick to your size?

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
I went a size up, think most do. Sportsbikeshop is pretty decent, free next day delivery etc.

I got some Richa boots last week for £100 delivered, comfy as hell.

Bizizl

RMS Member
Drives
350z
sportsbikeshop do free first return (it says uk mainland only on their site, but I got it for free. It'd be worth a call to check..

I'd suggest checking the reviews on the boots you're looking to buy and see what people say they had to do regarding sizes.
If you have the spare cash, could buy few different pairs at once and then pick the ones you like most and return the rest.

If you're just buying boots for your test - hiking boots or literally any boots are fine. They don't have to be motorbike specific boots

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Complete bike noob here , Just a quick question guys. Looking at cheaper brand boots online (for lessons/test only) have yet to try any on as I'm away quite abit form home.
I'm a size 8 shoe, do you guys go a size up when buying bike boots or stick to your size?
Shop and check sizes between brands.I have a size 11 short boot that are tight comfy fit but my waterproof adventure style boots are loose, but not enough to get a 10

As above any sturdy footwear will do for learning/test

aaron_dp

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon
Passed my theory yesterday and was out on the road with my instructor for the first time on my second lesson. If I'm doing 1 or 2 two hour lessons a week how long would be reasonable to think it should take before I am ready for the test?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Passed my theory yesterday and was out on the road with my instructor for the first time on my second lesson. If I'm doing 1 or 2 two hour lessons a week how long would be reasonable to think it should take before I am ready for the test?

Depends on your experience, confidence and how good your instructor is, but 8-12 hours should be plenty.

aaron_dp

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon
Depends on your experience, confidence and how good your instructor is, but 8-12 hours should be plenty.

Driving 16 years although I rode mx bikes these couple of lessons are the first I've ridden a bike on the roads but seem to be progressing ok, learning with Paul Hunter down in Downpatrick so I'll be doing my test there all being well.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Driving 16 years although I rode mx bikes these couple of lessons are the first I've ridden a bike on the roads but seem to be progressing ok, learning with Paul Hunter down in Downpatrick so I'll be doing my test there all being well.

You’ll be 100% with Paul. That’s who I done my test with, and a couple of mates are doing lessons with him at the minute to get ready for their tests.

He’ll put you through the CBT as part of the lessons too, and will usually have test dates reserved as such so you're not waiting too long to get through everything.

Does he have you on the XJ600 yet?

aaron_dp

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon
You’ll be 100% with Paul. That’s who I done my test with, and a couple of mates are doing lessons with him at the minute to get ready for their tests.

He’ll put you through the CBT as part of the lessons too, and will usually have test dates reserved as such so you're not waiting too long to get through everything.

Does he have you on the XJ600 yet?

Next dates are the 14th of October for MOD1 and the 28th for MOD2. I've only had 3 lessons but he seems happy enough with me so hopefully get out on the Yamaha next week all being well. Hopefully your mates are able to get in those dates as well

Dave..

RMS Regular
Quick update lads, I passed at the end of October there, glad it's over but looking forward to getting a bike and getting out onto the roads to learn a bit more
Congrats on passing your test, when I did mine it took 25mins, a few highway code questions and I could ride anything (1979).

aaron_dp

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon
Thanks David, it was a relief to get it over and done with. Did mine in Downpatrick and they started digging up half the town the day before so it worked in my favour a bit as we had a good idea what the route was going to be. I got a couple of minors but was happy enough. Things have fairly changed with the CBT, theory and then the 2 modules but if it keeps people off the road that maybe aren't ready then it could be a good thing. I'm looking forward to getting a few test rides in before I decide what to go for

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
Well done, certainly big changes to the test format for motorcycles!
Happy and safe motorcycling

I highly recommend you to consider advanced riding - IAM or RoSPA going forward to help build aid your skills!

aaron_dp

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon
Definitely in the pipeline, my instructor Paul does a follow up lesson or two with you as well to cover things like motorways and stuff you don't do on the test so looking forward to that

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
If you're just buying boots for your test - hiking boots or literally any boots are fine. They don't have to be motorbike specific boots
As above any sturdy footwear will do for learning/test

Just noticed this from a while back...I generally agree about the boots but be careful with any boots that have laces that you tuck the knot loops well out of the way, into the tongue or wherever. Not funny if the laces get caught on the footpeg just as you're about to stop and put your foot down.