Tesla Cybertruck

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS

Watched this video and it kinda changed my mind about it a bit.

I love that it's totally different to anything else and he's thinking totally differently, the man is bonkers. Like someone has said, take the 'pre-order' number with a pinch of salt as I know a few guys who have pre-ordered one but will have absolutely no means of buying it when the time comes

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That last video isn't a rational human being though, lol.

The one before from @Paddy_R is.

But then there has never been anything rational about Tesla :innocent: It won't be bought by a lot of people actually towing stuff or carrying anything heavy because you would be stuck forever recharging. And people who actually do tow stuff or carry big loads don't want to be stuck doing nothing half the day.

It will be bought by the same people who buy any other Tesla but who just want a truck shaped one. And it's bang on the money for that and will fly out the same way.

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
It's not something for rational human beings in my opinion. It's for people who want to be different, nobody is going to buy a Tesla Cybertruck to pull their bales of hay from Cushendun to the Balmoral show hi.

However tech millionaires in Silicon Valley who're up to their balls in debt will be buying them up in their thousands as soon as they're out, and that's exactly who they're aimed at.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Any idea when they will be on sale and what they cost? I kinda want one lol

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The shambolic launch cost him $750 million in stock devaluation so far....though he's reportedly worth $20billion so I'm sure he's not overly worried.

I have to say I'm not sure on it. It looks like the unwanted love child of a DeLorean and a pick up truck. Very strange indeed.

Seems everything he does is a loss maker....gotta wonder about that.

Wonder what the Ncap Safety rating is ? for both that vehicle and anything it might hit, including pedestrians.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Seems everything he does is a loss maker....gotta wonder about that.

I read an article where it was staring that Musks long term game is not the cars but the batteries. He's trying to (and succeeding) in creating an electric car market at the moment. As soon as this properly takes off, they predicted, that he will either pull out (unlikely) or sell off (the most likely option) the car part of the business and be a supplier of batteries to the big manufacturers as this will be where the money is apparently. It broke down investments in parts of Tesla and where the money was being spent and it did seem to mostly be going to battery R&D this included charging.

It basically concluded he was playing the long term game and gambling on EVs being the future

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The long game for him definitely looks like the batteries.

Over the next year all major manufacturers are releasing cars designed from the bottom up as EV. Across segments. He won't be able to keep up once that train is rolling. His cars are already a few years old now and he's struggling to scale.

But everyone will need batteries, and he's building huge factories to make them.

That said, not sure if his battery factories scale beyond his own needs yet either. It's a similar story there, big announcements and a different reality.

The other possible gain for him might be in licensing the "self driving" gubbins. But there are plenty of others doing that, and some better set up for it.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I'm half tempted to pre order the anachem automotive 2022 delivery vehicle! Elon tweeted that it would be available in matte black!

Screenshot 2019-11-30 at 09.33.50.png

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Wouldnt imagine onboard luggage capacity is that great for deliveries ? And at a push it might hit a 500 mile range in an ideal test world, in the real world it will be rather less. Nevermind towing 14,000lbs ( which would be totally illegal in the UK )

A friend of a friend bought one of the Tesla Model S cars a while back. And from near Glenoe, to just outside Newry and back....from a full charge it's almost on its last lags. That really isnt a huge journey.

How much does colder weather eat into charge ? Bound to use a lot of extra power for heating etc ?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Obviously nobody is ever going to get close to any official range. Just like nobody ever gets close to any official mpg. Big deal, they're just for comparison, not some sort of absolute.

You will be using aircon and heater, lights and radio, etc. None of that is in the test.

Then you won't run it from full to zero. As a rule of thumb, quickest recharge seems to be from 20% to 80%, with the first and last 20% taking longer. So you want to stay in that 20-80% band.

Add driving style - won't get many miles doing those headline launches :innocent:

As a rule of thumb, expect 2/3 of official range at best.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I think they get away with it in America because trucks are classed as commercial vehicles or something and most safety and environmental rules don't apply in the same way as for cars. That's why trucks are so cheap and popular in the states compared to an actual car.

Not sure how it would fly in Europe. But don't think it's aimed for us anyway. It's huge for starters, the size of an F150.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Engadget: Tesla Cybertruck will join Dubai's eclectic police fleet.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
More like something a five year old child might draw after watching Robocop :innocent:

Look at the size of the thing compared to the rest of the traffic!

Actually wouldn't surprise me at all if Elon drew that himself on the back of a napkin after a night out, handed it to the design department and nobody questions the boss :p

It's meant to stand out, and that it does whatever you think about it!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, there's an F250 too :innocent:

It's about the size of an F150, which is huge, lol.

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
I still think its a PR stunt compared to the original design that we saw..... I'm sceptical..