LeMans Blue E90 335d MSport

GlennM

RMS Regular
Drives
335d
So I took a mad notion lately and wanted an E90 335d... Performance, Looks, Ecomony... maybe? :neutral:

So I familiarised myself with them and came to a decision on the spec...

Must be LCi or be Facelifted ☑
Must be LeMans Blue ☑
Must be MSport ☑

And here it is...

2007 with full LCi Conversion
BMW History
Full M3 Red Leather Interior
IDrive with TV unlock
loads of carbon goodies
recently mapped by Torquetronix with print out of 376bhp and 736nm

K9tAYtD.jpg

cP9hl8M.jpg

With the 20's needing new rubber... and not being totally to my taste... I sourced a set of 403M's off an F30 MSport...

Cn1dd1u.jpg

And got my own reg on it!

xWEIM4t.jpg

Future plans are to tidy some wee bits and pieces up like, wheel spacers, paint front bumper, new headlights...

c_rad

RMS Regular
Lovely Glenn, I'm sure you're well pleased.

Love the colour, My only thing would be remove those rear bumper trims they really don't do the car any favours imo. Other than that it's fantastic 👌🏻

colin84

RMS Regular
I think the rear spats or spliters or whatever they are called, might look ok if they were moved forward or trimmed. Definitely need some spacers for the rear wheels though.

GlennM

RMS Regular
OP
GlennM
Drives
335d
Lovely Glenn, I'm sure you're well pleased.

Love the colour, My only thing would be remove those rear bumper trims they really don't do the car any favours imo. Other than that it's fantastic 👌🏻
I think the rear spats or spliters or whatever they are called, might look ok if they were moved forward or trimmed. Definitely need some spacers for the rear wheels though.

Colin your right, they have been fitted with mudflaps in the way! So I will trim them to match the shape of the mudflaps, which will move them forward and then they shouldn't stick out as much!

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Bet that goes like a train! Good choice of wheels and planning to change the headlights, they are much nicer than those black ones.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Very nice Glenn, your changes so far have made it so much better looking, was a bit OTT with those five spokes.

Cant wait to see it with spacers it will make all the difference!

GlennM

RMS Regular
OP
GlennM
Drives
335d
Please please please do YouTube videos about this :laughing:

Subscribed :grinning: Love an E90
Haha!! Yes this beast will make its debut appearance in the next video! Just so busy with work at the minute, barely got near the channel lately!

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Great video! Just a heads up when you fit your new headlamps you still may get the odd error until you code the LED's in but its a 10 min job.

Looking at your wheel as well it looks as if its the original one that came with the car as the M3 didn't have perforated leather on the sides where the M Sport did. I think the M sport one looks better.

I got Royal Steering Wheels to re-trim mine and I love it

1576492335672.png

GlennM

RMS Regular
OP
GlennM
Drives
335d
Great video! Just a heads up when you fit your new headlamps you still may get the odd error until you code the LED's in but its a 10 min job.

Looking at your wheel as well it looks as if its the original one that came with the car as the M3 didn't have perforated leather on the sides where the M Sport did. I think the M sport one looks better.

I got Royal Steering Wheels to re-trim mine and I love it

View attachment 259659
Thank you for the pointers! I am new to this whole BMW thing! You say code the LEDs in?? 🤔

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Great look to it now Glenn ... looking forward to see the progress updates

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Thank you for the pointers! I am new to this whole BMW thing! You say code the LEDs in?? 🤔

Yeah well it all depends what the car came with in the factory but I am assuming the angel eyes will be LED so the E90 never came with LED angel eyes only a halogen bulb which lit the rings up.

Again all depends what way the new headlight assembly is built as it may have resistors already in place which will stop the errors, when I had an E90 I swapped the headlights to an aftermarket set and they didn't come with resistors so the dash lit up like a Christmas tree as it thought the bulbs were blown.

The bulb error system checks for bulbs being blown by checking for resistance on the loom if there is zero resistance it registers that as the bulb been blown and triggers the light. Because LED's have nearly no resistance compared to a halogen bulb the car thinks the bulb is blown.

Theres two ways to stop it either fit resistors to the lights to provide the resistance the car is expecting so it doesn't put the error lights on or to code into the car that it has LED's fitted and not to trigger the errors at low resistance.

The coding is the better way to do as the car does what is known as a cold and warm check. Whenever you start the car the system will send a pulse down the loom to check if the bulb is blown - This pulse isn't enough to cause a standard halogen bulb to light but is enough to light an LED so you will see the LED's flickering as the car starts - This is the cold check.

The car then also performs a warm check which is the same pulse but it does it at intervals whenever the car is running so if you are driving along with the lights off if the car decides to do a warm check it will cause the lights to start flickering.

With the coding option you can disable it all and stop the flickering.

You can either do it with a Carly app and dongle or using a piece of software called NCS Expert and a laptop.

I have NCS expert installed and use it for my M3 when I did the CIC retrofit so if you need it done I am more than happy to do it for you.

GlennM

RMS Regular
OP
GlennM
Drives
335d
Yeah well it all depends what the car came with in the factory but I am assuming the angel eyes will be LED so the E90 never came with LED angel eyes only a halogen bulb which lit the rings up.

Again all depends what way the new headlight assembly is built as it may have resistors already in place which will stop the errors, when I had an E90 I swapped the headlights to an aftermarket set and they didn't come with resistors so the dash lit up like a Christmas tree as it thought the bulbs were blown.

The bulb error system checks for bulbs being blown by checking for resistance on the loom if there is zero resistance it registers that as the bulb been blown and triggers the light. Because LED's have nearly no resistance compared to a halogen bulb the car thinks the bulb is blown.

Theres two ways to stop it either fit resistors to the lights to provide the resistance the car is expecting so it doesn't put the error lights on or to code into the car that it has LED's fitted and not to trigger the errors at low resistance.

The coding is the better way to do as the car does what is known as a cold and warm check. Whenever you start the car the system will send a pulse down the loom to check if the bulb is blown - This pulse isn't enough to cause a standard halogen bulb to light but is enough to light an LED so you will see the LED's flickering as the car starts - This is the cold check.

The car then also performs a warm check which is the same pulse but it does it at intervals whenever the car is running so if you are driving along with the lights off if the car decides to do a warm check it will cause the lights to start flickering.

With the coding option you can disable it all and stop the flickering.

You can either do it with a Carly app and dongle or using a piece of software called NCS Expert and a laptop.

I have NCS expert installed and use it for my M3 when I did the CIC retrofit so if you need it done I am more than happy to do it for you.
Superb! Great insight there, typical CANBUS crap then?? I will keep in touch with you, going to fit the new lights today at some stage!

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Superb! Great insight there, typical CANBUS crap then?? I will keep in touch with you, going to fit the new lights today at some stage!

Yep exactly what it is, spend way too much time and effort trying to retrofit xenons and angel eyes into my E90. Although on the first attempt I put a massive resistor on the headlight that overheated and melted some of the surround so wish I had have tried the coding option sooner lol.

Hopefully the install is straight forward :grinning: What are you using to scan your fault codes btw?

Found this on YouTube it appears the LCI conversion may also cause the indicators to go mental and flicker which I think your car was doing as well on your YouTube video?

aaflyer79

RMS Regular
Looks fantastic! Maybe I’ll see you around the manor in my F30 ‘35d. Was that BP top road and then Rhanbuoy Park?

Mac1987

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Great motors loved mine, le manns blu is a great colour & comes up real well after a good polish. Good video too be nice to see more members on here do walk round vids of there cars & stuff, all the best with it mate

GlennM

RMS Regular
OP
GlennM
Drives
335d
Ok ok... Its been a while! The gremlins were all sorted thanks to MJM Auto Electrics in Glenoe!! Matthew is a complete wizz kid!! Also changed the seals at the intercooler, one was completely split, the other was leaking! Car is a rocket now and so much more responsive!! Next plans are Gearbox Service, new front bumper and paint!

Attachments

• IMG_20200512_003350_304.jpg
    IMG_20200512_003350_304.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_20200511_211609.jpg
    IMG_20200511_211609.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 374