Belfast car dealer fined for selling clocked A3

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
No mention of whether the bloke got compo or the fine just went to trading standards.

fj1200aa

RMS Regular
Drives
Seat

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool

pablo

RMS Moderator
Depends on the car and cost/value/profit ?
£2k is still a fair sum if you're forking it out.

nonsense, by hairccutting cars he is probably adding at least 2k onto each one. he got caught once, how many has he sold without being caught? that falls into "the cost of doing business" for these boys.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Might be a stupid question by apart from the condition of the car how hard is it to spot clocking on a VAG car?

Would the likes of VAG COM pick it up straight away?

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
I would do the necessary checks ie uk mot history and then phone our mot centres if it has been motd here, but your never guaranteed that some crafty bugger hasn't clocked before mot age and doctored history also. unfortunately with a world full of dishonest people you just have to take a chance when buying used! but 2k is hardly a deterrent for a bloke who seems to have form for fraud
Might be a stupid question by apart from the condition of the car how hard is it to spot clocking on a VAG car?

could be wrong but I don't think computers can pick it up as those clocking know to clock keys/abs pumps in particular cars where miles are also stored,
again only thing you can do it mot checks and the way the car is presented.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
I would do the necessary checks ie uk mot history and then phone our mot centres if it has been motd here, but your never guaranteed that some crafty bugger hasn't clocked before mot age and doctored history also. unfortunately with a world full of dishonest people you just have to take a chance when buying used! but 2k is hardly a deterrent for a bloke who seems to have form for fraud

could be wrong but I don't think computers can pick it up as those clocking know to clock keys/abs pumps in particular cars where miles are also stored,
again only thing you can do it mot checks and the way the car is presented.

Cheers :grinning: Only asking as i've just bought a VAG and now I am paranoid :joy:

VanhireBoys

RMS Member
Many moons ago we went to look at an old MK2 Cavalier at the bottom of the Coleraine Mountain. The car was a real s**tbox and I happened to ask how many miles she had on - The reply was "How many do ya want on her sur?"

Looks like its moved on a generation :laughing:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

You can see the mileage on the ECU. I've had a couple of VAG cars checked by buyers in the past, all were fine.

For some reason the Cayenne has the ECU odo in KM which nearly gave me a heart attack but worked it out after a bit of panicking lol

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
You can see the mileage on the ECU. I've had a couple of VAG cars checked by buyers in the past, all were fine.

For some reason the Cayenne has the ECU odo in KM which nearly gave me a heart attack but worked it out after a bit of panicking lol
it will show you the miles coog but will show the updated miles or corrected miles once it is written over it cant be seen again, but yes I got caught out with the kms one time also :joy: then realised it was kms and the colour came back

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
it will show you the miles coog but will show the updated miles or corrected miles once it is written over it cant be seen again, but yes I got caught out with the kms one time also :joy: then realised it was kms and the colour came back

Yeah I later found it in another menu. Porsche doesn't work well with vagcom so I was using a specific scanner and coder for it lol