Is it likely I was caught speeding

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ricky

RMS Regular
Hi,

So today I was driving down the road from my house in a 30mph zone and I was doing about 33mph, I was coming up behind a speed van I noticed (I was about 265ft) to its rear when I noticed it, I then dropped to 30mph and drove past it.

Is it likely I’ll have been caught??

My speedo said I was doing about 33mph but in real life Would that not mean I was doing about 29mph?

Ricky

RMS Regular
OP
R
About 265 feet......about.....seriously? You can judge distance with pinpoint accuracy but can’t control the speed of the car??

I’d say run now before you get taken to one of the speeding reform camps

Gosh, imagine me being the first person ever to Be slightly over the speed limit 😱
GO TO JAIL.... GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL.... DO NOT PASS GO.... DO NOT COLLECT £200

YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR LICENCE

YOU WILL HAVE TO RESIT YOUR DRIVING TEST

YOU NEW BEST FRIEND WILL BE CALLED BUBBA

YOU WILL ENJOY BUM SEX

Ah well the bum sex will make it worth it then! 😂😂

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
I did read this article a while back about 10 per cent rules and speed camera van,

I was caught well when I say caught I was on the Malone doing 35mph, megane has a digital speedo so I was certain I was doing 35, I was on the down hill bit anyways I was sure I was getting a fixed penalty notice or even the speed awareness but nope. none of the above, car was registered in my name and plates etc were not dirty so im guessing the 10 per cent rule possibly is valid?

article is here Truth about mobile speed vans from the 10 per cent rule - to avoiding a ticket

anyone else experienced anything similar?

@user20 we do joke about but hopefully you don't get anything but worst case scenario youll have to sit through the worst 6 hours of your life with a man convincing you to stick to speed limits

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
Be grand
If you do get pulled which will be strict but has happened, you may get the option to do the speed awareness course to avoid points

Ricky

RMS Regular
OP
R
I did read this article a while back about 10 per cent rules and speed camera van,

I was caught well when I say caught I was on the Malone doing 35mph, megane has a digital speedo so I was certain I was doing 35, I was on the down hill bit anyways I was sure I was getting a fixed penalty notice or even the speed awareness but nope. none of the above, car was registered in my name and plates etc were not dirty so im guessing the 10 per cent rule possibly is valid?

article is here Truth about mobile speed vans from the 10 per cent rule - to avoiding a ticket

anyone else experienced anything similar?

@user20 we do joke about but hopefully you don't get anything but worst case scenario youll have to sit through the worst 6 hours of your life with a man convincing you to stick to speed limits

Yeah I heard that speedos aren’t that accurate and that whatever speed it says you’re doing is just a few mph above your true speed.

Hopefully that means when I say I was doing 33 I was actually doing just below 30

Ricky

RMS Regular
OP
R
Does anybody know when I should expect to receive the letter in the post in the event that I have in fact been caught?

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Yeah I heard that speedos aren’t that accurate and that whatever speed it says you’re doing is just a few mph above your true speed.

Hopefully that means when I say I was doing 33 I was actually doing just below 30
Does anybody know when I should expect to receive the letter in the post in the event that I have in fact been caught?

In most cases yes speedos do read over, however occasionally if you alter your wheel setup, ie go bigger or smaller with different tyre profile the Speedo can be affected

Even different brands of tyres have slightly different rolling radius to one another

But generally yes 33 indicated could be 30 or below. You can download an app on your phone which will give you a more accurate GPS speed, be sure to mount it hands free if you're testing this way to avoid getting in trouble

As for the fine, I believe it's usually 3 weeks there or thereabouts

Dervhead

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT
Just out of curiosity, what is the lowest speed over 30mph you have heard or have been prosecuted for? I ask as I (eventually) saw a van and when I checked my dash cam GPS I had hit 31mph coming out of Ballymena on the Cullybackey Road last week.

Ill start, I was caught before at 37mph.

Ricky

RMS Regular
OP
R
Just out of curiosity, what is the lowest speed over 30mph you have heard or have been prosecuted for? I ask as I (eventually) saw a van and when I checked my dash cam GPS I had hit 31mph coming out of Ballymena on the Cullybackey Road last week.

Ill start, I was caught before at 37mph.

I’ve never been prosecuted for speeding before so I can’t answer your question. I don’t speed, However, there are times like today were I unintentionally go over the limit slightly
In most cases yes speedos do read over, however occasionally if you alter your wheel setup, ie go bigger or smaller with different tyre profile the Speedo can be affected

Even different brands of tyres have slightly different rolling radius to one another

But generally yes 33 indicated could be 30 or below. You can download an app on your phone which will give you a more accurate GPS speed, be sure to mount it hands free if you're testing this way to avoid getting in trouble

As for the fine, I believe it's usually 3 weeks there or thereabouts

Flip a long wait then 😑

KevM

RMS Regular
You have 14 days to receive the letter for it to be legal. You should be fine. Iv been past the van twice now with Cruise control set to a speed slightly over the limit and heard nothing. That doesn’t make it ok tho

Ricky

RMS Regular
OP
R
You have 14 days to receive the letter for it to be legal. You should be fine. Iv been past the van twice now with Cruise control set to a speed slightly over the limit and heard nothing. That doesn’t make it ok tho

Hopefully not then. Honestly cannot be arsed with a course

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Isn't it 10% +1? Plus speedo might be 1 or 2 mph over reading at that speed, so I'd say anything with an indicated 35+ would be worth concerning yourself with.

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
I thought the tolerances were at the discretion of an actual police officer?

My mate had to do a speed awareness course for doing 33 in a 30 after being caught by a camera van in ballymoney.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I thought the tolerances were at the discretion of an actual police officer?

My mate had to do a speed awareness course for doing 33 in a 30 after being caught by a camera van in ballymoney.

I believe that rule is applied to all speed enforcement methods. Or so I was told. Was sure myself I’d been scooped but this rule seemed to be in action and I heard nothing

For reference I was told 10% plus 2. Which when you consider to do a genuine 46 in a 40 most dashes will need to read near 49ish. I’ve trued gps speed in a few cars and the car usually reads 3mph over around 40

Ricky

RMS Regular
OP
R
I’m just hoping my speedo isn’t entirely accurate lol! I ought to start making use of my cruise control / speed limiter system

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.