Toyota Yaris GR

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
This looks proper fun in a way no one else is really doing.

From Chris Harris earlier:
Toyota: “The Supra would be uneconomic if we didn’t buy half of it from BMW - oh, here’s the totally bespoke, massively expensive homologtion special we’ve made so the rally car can be a bit quicker in Finland.” Love it. A modern Integrale? Hope so. I’m having one.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
This would be so much fun on our roads 😍

No weight to worry about buckling an alloy and suspension height looks just right for rallying about proper country roads lol

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
I can’t help but notice that the power, weight, and dimensions aren’t massively different to my evo 6, slightly down on power but the gearing and power delivery should more than make up for that. It sounds like it’ll be a wee weapon.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
No idea of price yet, but it won't be cheap. The previous yaris grnm was about £35K if I recall correctly.

Article states the Japanese equivalent of £27.7k for the launch edition. So probably under 30k

Should be a decent used buy after a few years, but I imagine these will hold value as they're likely to be something special

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Helps when the Toyota boss, Toyoda-san, is mad about motorsport and just cars in general. Toyota do a lot of mad things but when they focus on making a fast car they generally get it right.

0CA459B7-AD55-4703-B701-AEC96BE29144.jpeg
30E9FFE9-76C4-4899-85B7-B29129A94F12.jpeg

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Helps when the Toyota boss, Toyoda-san, is mad about motorsport and just cars in general. Toyota do a lot of mad things but when they focus on making a fast car they generally get it right.

View attachment 262274View attachment 262275
They should have focused a bit more on the Supra then instead of just asking BMW for an oven ready one.

This Yaris does look great though 👍

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
They should have focused a bit more on the Supra then instead of just asking BMW for an oven ready one.

This Yaris does look great though 👍

Yea both the new Supra and Z4 are a bit of hash job. Pointless for actual car fans.

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
I like the new supra, class imo. I just think a lot of people were expecting some 3jz monster.
Love the Yaris. When was the last great fast Toyota? The last gt4?

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
I think I read they had to make 25,000 of these so they could homologate this for WRC.

The Supra will probably have enabled Toyota to save the development costs and use the profits to help build this on an existing platform rather than having to build, design and tool a new RWD platform. I think the BRZ is based on a Legacy!

Hopefully this will start a trend and there will be a new raft of small 4WD rally reps. VW were supposed to do a Polo R in the previous generation, journalists drove them and all but never appeared and the S1 instead became a thing

adzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Glanza V
About time Toyota came back into the hot hatch market! I’d imagine it would be serious fun to drive!

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
I love it. Just the sheer extent of the re-engineering behind it is actually exciting let alone anything else!

Front half of Yaris chassis, back half of Prius chassis, lower roofline, 3 door instead of five, frameless doors, AWD, manual, and world's most powerful triple! Nothing, at nearly any price point, gets that much reworking these days.

Nice to see there are still some cars built by motorsport engineers and not accountants trying to beat emissions figures!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Class.
My second favourite Yaris.. 1.43 in on this vid

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
I think I read they had to make 25,000 of these so they could homologate this for WRC

Unfortunately WRC homologation rules ended in 2010. The last homologation derived WRC car rallying now is the Impreza s12b and homologation for most of those runs out at the end of this season. There is no requirement to make production cars for homologation purposes any more which is the reason we don’t see more if this type of thing on the road.

It would be fantastic if the FIA brought back the group A homologation rules, we could have some great cars on the roads again.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Saw an article on this the other day, and have to applaud Toyota for bucking the current trend in hot hatches towards 5 doors and auto/dct type boxes.

3dr door, wide arch, manual, turbo charged hatch - It looks like it will be a lot of fun

56oval

RMS Regular
Remember the cool little Daihatsu Charade GTti. 3 cylinder 100hp, we all thought that was a lot back in the day.
250+ looks like a riot.

dufunk

RMS Regular
It seems to be the first proper Toyota in years, got 100kgs on my old celica for a car that size but suppose that's the 4wd system.