Car battery bracket stuck

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Hey folks I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to remove the bolt holding in the battery on my MK4 Golf as it just keeps spinning. This may be a Dremel job but maybe the sensible people have a better idea.

So the bolt is rusty as, I took the bumper off and I can't get my hand or any long nose pliers in under the tray to pinch whatever it is screwed into because of the bulkhead. Tried wedging up the bracket with a screwdriver whilst I ratcheted at the bolt but not much movement bar constant spin.

IMG_20200113_141502~2.jpg
IMG_20200113_141546~3.jpg

-Pete-

RMS Regular
might be easier to cut the bracket itself, a slot wide enough to let it up over the bolt or just split that first, if its easier to get to instead of trying to cut the bolt? maybe it makes no odds? could give you a bit more wiggle room to work at the bolt though.

OZRACER

RMS Regular
Drives
Ford
Can you get a socket on it from underneath, with an extension bar?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Looks like a captive nut but the weld has let go and it looks a bit too cosy for a nut splitter.
From the picture it seems you could get a long deep ring spanner or a socket on a long breaker bar in there. Just to hold it, then spin the bolt from above.

But maybe it's harder than it looks.

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Vice Grips on the nut below?

If not, Ignorance might be the only answer, try bend the bracket back and rip the battery out.. should then give you room to try get/cut it off

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
OP
DaddyCC
Drives
VW CC
The only way any grip on the nut below is going to happen is if a 5 year old arm with the capabilities of stretch Armstrong and Schwarzenegger exists lol. There's no way through that gap and little room to open up any grips unless very thin.

I've been able to get the bracket loose enough to get the battery out if I really need to, but that's pulling everything out and I'd just like to replace it before it gets worse.

Although as Apis stated, it does look like a bit where a weld has gone so probably no mission of getting something to replace the nut underneath even if I get this mess out?

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Gary, I think with the battery out, you can unbolt the plastic battery tray and work with what's left in a bit more room. I've a breaker there if I get a chance I'll have a look and see. Doesn't really help with the spinning captive nut afterwards though.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
OP
DaddyCC
Drives
VW CC
Gary, I think with the battery out, you can unbolt the plastic battery tray and work with what's left in a bit more room. I've a breaker there if I get a chance I'll have a look and see. Doesn't really help with the spinning captive nut afterwards though.
Cheers Adam but don't worry about wasting your time. Weld a nut upside is a good idea if ever got someone handy to do it some day.

Would solder be enough to hold a nut actually? It's not like it's under mega strain, just enough to help stop some wobble.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
No, I think that the torque from the bolt tightening would crack it. Car is going for scrap so there's nothing to lose!

-Pete-

RMS Regular
a stick welder would be ideal if its less than 12inches or so deep to get to it, you could certainly get a tack or two onto it. one of the nice advantages to a stick welder.