Rate your Products.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
My windscreen has some wiper scratches so tried some of @Mel Autobrite stock to see if it made any improvements to the visibility at least
Cost- I'd say its middle of the road priced, though they've a sale twice a year can be taken advantage of.
Ease of use- 7. I followed the instructions which meant it took a while. It's not just wipe on and off. Clean glass first, apply sealant, 15min cure, wipe off, reapply for best results.
Though it was easy wiped off compared to some I've used which can take a good buff to remove.
Durability- *. Says it lasts 3 months but on first impression it'll last longer for all I use the car plus I dont use screen wash (a pet hate of mine).

IMG_20191226_212528_558.jpg

Was pretty impressive in yesterday's rain.
c66efef4-6fb7-4a93-aa4f-473d9c34d9b4.gif

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Since Mel moved in we've been trying to make our way through our combined cleaning stock. We've been using Chemical Guys shampoo to get it used up. I actually think it's pretty good !
Cost- * Unknown as it's been sitting ages. Had a quick look for it and I think it's been re-labled etc so would be keen to try a new bottle.
Ease of use- 9. Feels really slick on the panels, smells great, and a funky neon colour . It almost looks to have some hydrophobic qualities but I think that's just what's underneath as its cleaning so well.
20191227_112923.jpg

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Couldn't find a thread so kinda falls under this but what would be the shelf life of detailing products?? I'm reshelving mine currently and had some a while now.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Couldn't find a thread so kinda falls under this but what would be the shelf life of detailing products?? I'm reshelving mine currently and had some a while now.
What type ? I use shampoo, polish, wax, tyre shine, quick detailer that's been sitting ages. Only things I've noticed not keeping, was tar remover (still "worked" but had went gloopy and wouldn't spray) and RainX water repellant (tried it the other day and it did nothing).

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
@CharlySkunkWeed all sorts from various brands, have shampoo, qd, tyre dressing waxes and everything in between. Lifted a tyre dressing and it has an smell to it nearly as if it's split compounds. my sense of smell wouldn't be great so thought I'd ask.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
@CharlySkunkWeed all sorts from various brands, have shampoo, qd, tyre dressing waxes and everything in between. Lifted a tyre dressing and it has an smell to it nearly as if it's split compounds. my sense of smell wouldn't be great so thought I'd ask.
Maybe you'd know Ross ? @Big Pimp
Is there anything in products that would "go off" and giving it a shake wouldn't bring it back ?

I'd also like to know the answer as I've a mountain of stuff that'll take ages to get through so will be sitting a while.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Maybe you'd know Ross ? @Big Pimp
Is there anything in products that would "go off" and giving it a shake wouldn't bring it back ?

I'd also like to know the answer as I've a mountain of stuff that'll take ages to get through so will be sitting a while.

yeah, so most products will have a useable shelf life of minimum 12 - 18 months in unopened containers.

when they’re opened it can sometimes reduce their durability

products which are solvent based - which will obviously be tar removers as well as some tyre dressings will lose some of their stability and can separate over time.

other products with alcohol bases can evaporate and then lose some of their effectiveness also.

I know it’s not an exact answer but most daily use products will stay stable for 12months +
Occasional use products don’t and if they have separated or split I wouldn’t advise using it

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
It’s one of the differences also in dealing with a face as opposed to a larger company who aren’t so contactable.

whilst some people maybe haven’t gotten on with one product or another for whatever reason, I like to think of myself being contactable and accountable.

im not here (or on any platform) to just try and make a quick buck. I’m genuinely here for the long haul, and if I could be half as successful as some of the big name companies like auto finesse I’ll always stay true to my roots speaking to customers face to face, doing the picking packing and delivering as much as I can, and giving advice as best as I can with my experience of chemicals and chemical behaviour.

like I advise people all the time when I’m asked about waxes etc - when you have a company like bilt hamber who make things as good and durable as finis wax or double wax for £15 I will recommend them as I think it’s a fantastic product

bikeit

RMS Regular
Tried Anachem Hybrid for the first time yesterday, easy to use with great results.

Attachments

• untitled-095043.jpg
    untitled-095043.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 85

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Gtechniq crystal serum ultra = 1
Exo = 1

Easily the worst money spent on any car I have ever owned.
Looked well for first 4 weeks,after week 6 approx it began to Dip in performance and by week 12-16 it had totally failed.
Only giving it a one as it was nice for a month or so.
Gtechniq have been great to talk to over the past while and are severely disappointed at the failure of there product .I genuinely felt they did care as they couldn’t of been nicer to talk to but I then sold it on before I got it sorted .

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Exo = 1

Looked well for first 4 weeks,after week 6 approx it began to Dip in performance and by week 12-16 it had totally failed.
Gtechniq have been great to talk to over the past while and are severely disappointed at the failure of there product .I genuinely felt they did care as they couldn’t of been nicer to talk to but I then sold it on before I got it sorted .

It’s funny you should say this as I’ve thought the CS Ultra & Exo combo hasn’t performed well from about September time last year (approx 6 months after application) - especially on the bonnet and roof. I’ve carried out the fallout remover & citrus trick as suggested but it doesn’t seem to help. I’m actually thinking of changing shampoo back to Gyeon Bathe+ or else something like Nanolex Pure or Reactivating Shampoo to see if that revives it.
In my opinion the CS Light I had applied to my old Megane performed much better!

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Exo = 1

It’s funny you should say this as I’ve thought the CS Ultra & Exo combo hasn’t performed well from about September time last year (approx 6 months after application) - especially on the bonnet and roof. I’ve carried out the fallout remover & citrus trick as suggested but it doesn’t seem to help. I’m actually thinking of changing shampoo back to Gyeon Bathe+ or else something like Nanolex Pure or Reactivating Shampoo to see if that revives it.
In my opinion the CS Light I had applied to my old Megane performed much better!
It's crazy to think after spending the money on a coating it lasts a shorter time than a spray wax. I still dont fully know what the benefits are with coatings, so try to stay out of it. They say it makes it easier to clean the car but then if you aren't washing the car as thoroughly as you normally would then it seems the coating gets a build-up of contaminants and doesn't perform as well ? And I've heard recently that they dont even really protect from swirls and scratches as much as I previously thought? Or is it that the swirls are reduced as it's easier to clean so less contact ?
Am I correct in saying these things ?
@zafturbo it's a pity the car is gone and you cant get a solution to what went wrong.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
it’s not over yet.i tried all that after 6-8 weeks and it made zero difference .get on to whoever done your car or speak directly to gtech as there was a batch of ultra or exo ,or both that was faulty apparently.

Last edited:

jshek007

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 335,FN2, R56
I swear by the gtechniq coatings. Yes, the exo might be poor after a wee while due to it getting clogged up etc. But this only affects the water behaviour. The main protection is still protecting the car. I've had the coating done by @big_pete around three years now and I still can't see any swirl marks etc on the car despite regularly washing it. I'm in the same boat in saying the hydrophobic properties isn't great now. But I can't fault the protection. I actually need to see Pete again for a new application of exo just to see if it last longer this time. When you free @big_pete?

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
I am actually leaving mine back to Pete in March for a reapplication of Exo. Could possibly be that the hydrophobic properties have worn off it. In fairness when clean the car still does look brilliant and very glossy. I would be careful when washing it also so no sign of any swirling etc from poor washing. Just seem to remember CS Light performing a little better for longer which surprised me.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Ill construct a proper lengthy reply to this when I have the time over the weekend. As there is so much misunderstanding to what a coating does, how its maintained, how the environment the car is in, the products used on top or during washes etc and ill include a few diagrams that explain it.

If your using carnauba etc based detail sprays for example this will have a massive negative effect on water behaviour (which is what's provided by EXO, not the ceramic, ceramics sheet water) as the wax base then becomes your sacrificial layer and clogs the EXO simultaneously.

As for swirls, we will answer that too as different types of ceramic address it in a different way. They will massivley reduce the rate of defects reappearing, provided you wash the car properly. The one consistant comment we get when doing our care for your ceramic days is that those that attend realise they arent washing their car with the correct technique.

I will create a proper guide on how to wash a car. This is something we recommend everyone learns as it is the very foundation of caring for your cars cosmetic appearance.

As I say I will answer this in detail properly.

@jshek007 we can sort that next week for you :grinning:

I

zafturbo

RMS Regular
What has changed with the exo then if it has dropped in performance from what it used to be .i never had it applied to any other car before so I have nothing to compare it to .
Is there a better product to use from another company or is it a case if you use crystal s u that you have to use exo or can any other manufacturer supply a product to use.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
What has changed with the exo then if it has dropped in performance from what it used to be .i never had it applied to any other car before so I have nothing to compare it to .
Is there a better product to use from another company or is it a case if you use crystal s u that you have to use exo or can any other manufacturer supply a product to use.

7/10 its people using detailing sprays that contain waxes etc. A diagram will help massively to explain this. Normal decontamination process wont fix that issue.

2/10 its contaminated, needs decontamination, easy process, immediate results.

Or the EXO has been damaged and its needing replaced, very very rarely happens.

But something that is important to remember here. EXO is a sacrificial layer.

davyk31

RMS Regular
So we shouldn't use something like Hybrid on a ceramic coated car then is that an issue?

zafturbo

RMS Regular
5FB42E1B-980E-45CB-8045-D2CCCA7B6E8F.png
whats the story with this that I seen today on a car ..does this relate to the products used in case of warrenty claim