Peugeot 406 V6 coupe.

stuartyvilla

RMS Regular
Drives
182/ 208 GTI
Well, lockdown absolutely got the better of me, this was meant to be a new macbook lol, but I'll explain how I ended up with this wafty piece of frenchness.

As most on here during the boredom of lockdown I had been surfing the classifieds, as I had a real hankering to change and try something new, but to what? I'd thought seriously of chopping in both the 208 and the clio and running 1 'nice' car, so 350Zs and 986 boxsters were in my head but the lack of more seats eventually put them out of my head (I should mention one of the essential criteria was something with more than 4 cylinders).

Through no help from RMS, M3's kept being posted in members cars and the classified thread so I couldn't ignore them, of course they were still over budget even if I let the other cars go and used a bit of savings to fund one, but the idea of having a V8 or straight 6 was so tempting! Alas my head came into play again and truthfully I probably would have been getting a ropier example of an e92 and e46 was a a bit too old and ithey could have been a basket cases, plus the running costs in general would have been another level or two higher than what I'm used to, so M3 idea and changing in general was dead it seemed...

So I tried to put changing out of my head, focus on saving some cash for a laptop and enjoy using what I had when I could, but still couldn't let it go and I tweaked my criteria again! Which was basically; cheap, more than 4 cylinders, comfortable.

So i started thinking again and the one car I kept coming back to was the 406 coupe, I mean they ticked the boxes, they're dirt cheap, have a V6 version and looked pretty comfortable, plus owning a car designed by pininfarina was a big plus!

So the search began and as expected not many for sale, and the ones that were unfortunately not the v6, and located in the mainland. Until this one popped up on facebook marketplace, I couldn't believe my luck, a local car, with the V6 and a manual, so I jumped on it straight away and done the deal for the one you see below! Now i stress it's far from perfect (the front bumper being one area) but it started and seemed solid enough, plus had been stored in a garage and used for sunny days mainly for the last 6/7 years. So I done the deal and had the owner deliver it to me. So for the price of a decent macbook, I'm now the owner of this piece of design brilliance!

Fast forward to now and after giving it a service, timing belt, new fluids etc it's nearly ready for the road, I still need an engine mount and the brakes need sorted as they aren't great but hopefully it'll see some of the summer! Anyway sorry for the waffle, here are some pictures of said car.

20200601_193912.jpg
20200601_193853.jpg
20200603_161446.jpg
20200603_161434.jpg
20200603_161456.jpg
20200603_161539.jpg

stuartyvilla

RMS Regular
OP
stuartyvilla
Drives
182/ 208 GTI
Great buy I was thinking about buying this at the time. Such a great looking car for the money.

No for the money and something to slowly improve at it's a great buy! A lot of car for the money and the sound of that V6 is wonderful ♥️

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Nice find. A fair few end up looking like a Ferrari.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Love that, looks great! I’ve always fancied one of these for smoking around in.

The guy who collected me from the airport in the Isle of Man when I went to collect my white 944 was in a V6 406 saloon, I was very impressed by the noise from it!

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
Nice big wagon there, used to see these all the time and then they just vanished. My dad a 2.1 HDI navy saloon and it was such a car!

stuartyvilla

RMS Regular
OP
stuartyvilla
Drives
182/ 208 GTI
Nice big wagon there, used to see these all the time and then they just vanished. My dad a 2.1 HDI navy saloon and it was such a car!

The seats are some of the comfiest I've sat in, a big plus as well when deciding to buy it was how rare they seem to be now!

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Class! A rare sight on the roads these days.

On a side note, if thinking of selling the 182, could you send me details. My friend is looking one, and yours would be perfect.

stuartyvilla

RMS Regular
OP
stuartyvilla
Drives
182/ 208 GTI
Class! A rare sight on the roads these days.

On a side note, if thinking of selling the 182, could you send me details. My friend is looking one, and yours would be perfect.

Selling the 182 had crossed my mind, but I've spent a small fortune on it last winter so decided to keep for a while yet, but I'll keep you in mind if I ever do. 👍

ItsAdamC

RMS Regular
Drives
Scrappers
Always loved these, we look after a V6 saloon and they just don't make cars like that anymore. It's like driving down the road in your sofa with a rather nice soundtrack to boot. They certainly aren't slow either!

dh1079

RMS Regular
Drives
loads
Awesome always loved shape of these

Mate had a 407 tdv6 which I dailyed for a while was so comfy

Health to waft get induction and baffles out of rear box lol

riano

RMS Regular
Drives
C63s coupe
LOVE this! V6 406 coupe in silver with red leather was my first ever car and thought it was incredible! Look forward to seeing you round Comber in this!!