MK1 Audi A3

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
So the next post in here was meant to be me getting coilovers and some polybushes but unfortunately after a good drive on Saturday something else now needs my attention...

20200629_203234.jpg

20200629_203239.jpg

20200629_203308.jpg

...caliper fell off lol.

Started making some odd noises when braking on the drive home and gradually got worse. Limped it home and had a look and that is what I found. Looks like the two bolts that held the caliper on have been loose and fell out. Only for the fact I am still running the pepperpots and not the 18s yet or the caliper would have come away completely.

Not the end of the world though. New set of discs and pads and all will be fine 🙂

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
So, all fixed now. New discs and pads, fitting kit and caliper sliders for good measure. Do it right, do it once.

20200630_205924.jpg

Decided to try a wheel on whilst I was there too, just to get an idea of fitment...

20200630_210317.jpg

20200630_210358.jpg

...definitely needs the right size tyre though. Was tempted to just throw a set of 225/40s on but looking at how flush that's going to be it will rub like mad so a 215/35/18 I think is what I need. A 205/40 would be perfect but I'm meant to be doing this on a budget and 205s are just too rich for me right now.

Anyway, time will tell on that front as these wheels need tidied up first and I need to sort a few other small issues before I purchase the coilovers.

Cheers for reading.

Aaron

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
🤣🤣🤣 I knew someone would pick up on those....they're marvel pyjama bottoms. Was lounging in the house and thought, feck it I'm gunna sort those brakes out now, rain or not 😁

Spotted them myself 😂

Good job that was a rear caliper and not a front one or that could've been messy 😱

Mac1987

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
🤣🤣🤣 I knew someone would pick up on those....they're marvel pyjama bottoms. Was lounging in the house and thought, feck it I'm gunna sort those brakes out now, rain or not 😁
Lol! Your pulling out trolley jacks & spinning of wheels in tha PJ's mate? Your keen fairplay to ya fella 🤣👍👌

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
Spotted them myself 😂

Good job that was a rear caliper and not a front one or that could've been messy 😱

You're right Rick! If it was a front one I would've just parked it up got it recovered. Not worth the risk.

Lol! Your pulling out trolley jacks & spinning of wheels in tha PJ's mate? Your keen fairplay to ya fella 🤣👍👌

PJs on, headphones on, slightly raining, neighbours must think I'm proper weird...actually I am kinda weird 😆

Mac1987

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
You're right Rick! If it was a front one I would've just parked it up got it recovered. Not worth the risk.

PJs on, headphones on, slightly raining, neighbours must think I'm proper weird...actually I am kinda weird 😆
Nah you are the hardcore mate doing that. rms should give you an award for that lol. Nowt wrong with being a tad wierd we are all abit crazy in our own way 🤪

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
No big update but got some anti roll bars off @gingfto and tyres off @McFall1984 at the weekend.

Many thanks lads.

Just need to start stock piling parts to fit the coilovers and then arrange it with Gavin at Blackline Performance.

Normally I'd tackle coilovers myself but with needing to change the ARB aswell I'd rather just leave it with Gavin and get it done with as little hassle as possible...don't fancy dropping a subframe out on my back in the rain on my driveway lol

Anyway....here's a pic of said tyres...

20200705_181303.jpg

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
OK so finally stopped procrastinating and told Gavin to order the coilovers up.

Gunna leave it down to him next week along with this lot...

20200731_163506.jpg

New drop links, arb bushes, rear top mounts and the revised style 10mm drop Polybush top mounts for the front. Was going to get camber adjustable top mounts but I can't justify the cost at the minute.

Just need to get my backside in gear and get these wheels refurbed and get Dad to throw the tyres on :laughing:

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
Pretty much @Coog

I could go mental and replace every bush, joint and bearing underneath it but I'm trying to keep my sensible head on and live by the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" :joy:

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
So dropped it off with Gavin at Blackline Performance last week.

20200814_184447.jpg

Normally I'd tackle a coilover install myself but with having to drop the subframe to change the ARB for the one I got off @gingfto I thought I'd be better getting someone with all the tools and a ramp to do it incase of any issues.

received_1354300308110819.jpeg

Thankfully everything went well although I did have to supply a track rod end which had a bit too much play and get a pair of right hand Mercedes Vito drop links to account for the drop in ride height.

Picked it up last night and it's driving so so much better! Gavin advised me the rear left caliper is a bit sticky (probably due to it falling off that one time) so I'll have to replace that and he fixed a heat shield above the exhaust aswell.

Fantastic service and very well recommended.

20200828_072119.jpg

Now I just need to get these 18s painted and fitted :laughing:

Lee

RMS Regular
I’m looking forward to seeing the wheels fitted too! Silver or black calipers would be nice and a spoiler

I’m part of the 130 TDi brigade too, good yokes.

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
Cheers @Lee

I'm planning on giving everything underneath a good clean and paint when I get the time and some dry weather. Thinking silver on the calipers when I get that one on the back replaced.

Also, I have it in my head that a 312mm brake upgrade on these is a handy enough job but I can't be sure....maybe @purplea4T or @Fatman would know?

Reactions: Lee

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Cheers @Lee

I'm planning on giving everything underneath a good clean and paint when I get the time and some dry weather. Thinking silver on the calipers when I get that one on the back replaced.

Also, I have it in my head that a 312mm brake upgrade on these is a handy enough job but I can't be sure....maybe @purplea4T or @Fatman would know?
What size are the front discs on it currently?
If they are 288mm, straight forward, just needs discs and caliper carriers, 2 bolts and away you go. Vrs, 4mo, Anni, V5 golfs/octavia carriers.
If they are 280mm discs the hub and carrier unit need to be changed, pain in the hole job.
And 16s are your minimum so check the spare wheel!

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
What size are the front discs on it currently?
If they are 288mm, straight forward, just needs discs and caliper carriers, 2 bolts and away you go. Vrs, 4mo, Anni, V5 golfs/octavia carriers.
If they are 280mm discs the hub and carrier unit need to be changed, pain in the hole job.
And 16s are your minimum so check the spare wheel!

Yeah 288mm on her at the min (and they would need replaced soon anyway) so all I need is the 312mm discs, new pads and a pair of carriers and bolts?

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Yeah 288mm on her at the min (and they would need replaced soon anyway) so all I need is the 312mm discs, new pads and a pair of carriers and bolts?
Yep, that's the lot. Pads are the same, calipers are the same, I've reused bolts before, they tend to be a bit soft though. Easy done especially if you've to change what's in there anyway. It's just another 2 bolts.

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
20200829_161933.jpg

20200829_161938.jpg

Took it for a spin to take MJs Beetle out for the weekend and I'm driving it again this morning to work. Love how comfy it is for how low it is.

Have to remember the sump sits quite low on these (it's about 2" max away from the floor) so I might look into engine raisers just for a bit of peace of mind.

Also called in with my dad and he still hasn't got near the wheels cause he's so busy. I would do it myself but I'd probably make a mess of it and he's pretty good at painting things so I'll just have to be patient.

Think I'm going to paint the lower halfs of the bumper and the sills too but that can wait till Dubshed 2021.

Cheap fun and loving it 😁