Triumph Tiger 1050 SE

Lee

RMS Regular
Picked this up recently as a replacement for my Street Triple 675. Very happy with it, 2009 SE model with only 5500 miles. Spare unused key and alarm fob etc.

I fitted two Michelin Pilot Road 5s straight away as it still had the original tyres on from new which were 12 years old. I also fitted a new genuine centre stand. Only other plans sometime are a tinted screen and maybe an exhaust.

20200807_171249.jpg

20200807_161756.jpg

20200807_161625.jpg

20200807_161651.jpg

20200807_162027.jpg

20200807_163915.jpg

20200807_164236.jpg

20200806_203841.jpg

20200802_203745.jpg

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Only 5,500 miles? I’ve over half of that done in less than 7 weeks, and I haven’t been on the bike anywhere near as much as I’d have liked...

Stunning big bike. Best of luck with it 🤙

Reactions: Lee

Lee

RMS Regular
OP
Lee
Only 5,500 miles? I’ve over half of that done in less than 7 weeks, and I haven’t been on the bike anywhere near as much as I’d have liked...

Stunning big bike. Best of luck with it 🤙

Yeah very low mileage! Couldn't believe it when I seen it to be honest. Hadn't really seen one in this model with less than 20k. Cheers 👍

That's clean, but I'm sure you'll have it cleaner and well ACF'd :grinning:

Thats actually it after a good clean, but no ACF50 yet. It arrived nice and clean but some nooks and crannies, chain and sprockets were overlooked with washing over the years. Nothing a bit of heating oil and a good drenching in snowfoam didn't sort 😊

Looks to be in some order.Best of liuck with it.And yes,get an exhaust on it :grinning:

Thanks! I have been given a low fit Remus Powercone for it, it would seem a shame not to fit it but I much prefer the position of the standard pipe up high.

That is stunning, I love finds like this. I thought it was a few years old until I read the post.

Cheers, I had sold the other bike and thought ahh I will be waiting a while for something to jump out at me. But checked ebay before bed one night and knew this was my machine.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Put a little shot of light oil or ACF50 in around the shock adjuster. They are very prone to seizing up. (Especially if you are a snowfoamer. )
Looks in great condition. Glad you're happy with it after the 675. These have a great engine, lovely spread of power across the whole rev range.

Lee

RMS Regular
OP
Lee
Put a little shot of light oil or ACF50 in around the shock adjuster. They are very prone to seizing up. (Especially if you are a snowfoamer. )
Looks in great condition. Glad you're happy with it after the 675. These have a great engine, lovely spread of power across the whole rev range.

I will do, thanks for that tip. The whole bike will be getting a good dosing of ACF50, I just used snowfoam on it to get into all the nooks and crannies for a good first wash.

Yes definately happy with it, I was scared that bikes like this would be boring after the Street Triple, but not so. I do love the triple engine, its just a sweet spot between a two and a four. Thanks for your recommendation in the other thread 👍

Triumph Fan

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus ST
It really does look like a new bike! I've had mine for 7 years and still love it. Tiger 1050's are great bikes. I've fitted the Triumph Off Road exhaust (picked it up on eBay and you can still the odd one at sensible money), modified the air intake hoses inside the airbox (easy job) fitted a K&N filter and got Philip McCallens to install the TOR map to suit the exhaust. My bike came with a MRA screen with wind deflector and mirror extensions. I don't know what my bike was like before but the screen is fine for my height up to 80mph and the mirrors give a great view. Hope the good weather continues so you can get a few miles on her. 😊

Triumph Fan

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus ST
This guy's site has some info you might find useful.

Lee

RMS Regular
OP
Lee
It really does look like a new bike! I've had mine for 7 years and still love it. Tiger 1050's are great bikes. I've fitted the Triumph Off Road exhaust (picked it up on eBay and you can still the odd one at sensible money), modified the air intake hoses inside the airbox (easy job) fitted a K&N filter and got Philip McCallens to install the TOR map to suit the exhaust. My bike came with a MRA screen with wind deflector and mirror extensions. I don't know what my bike was like before but the screen is fine for my height up to 80mph and the mirrors give a great view. Hope the good weather continues so you can get a few miles on her. 😊
This guy's site has some info you might find useful.

Cheers for that! Did you notice much difference with those performance mods done? I find that going from the Street Triple to the Tiger, there is actually a lot more wind noise on the Tiger which is surprising. But you don't actually feel any wind on your chest. A screen that gets rid of the noise would be nice

Triumph Fan

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus ST
From memory I modified the airbox first then a bit later I got the exhaust and map done. It was years ago, but from memory the bike seemed to a little sharper and smoother as it built revs. I did it as much for the sound from the TOR exhaust, which is also a bit lighter than stock, whilst still retaining the look of the original. You can drill out the cat but I didn't bother. I find the MRA screen fine for me at motorway speeds and I'm 6 feet tall.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I'm still using the standard screen but if I take it completely off and run without it, its actually much better, just looks weird. I read about people cutting the standard screen lower which works too. Check out the airbox mod for them too. And with the TuneEcu app on android, you can install your own map. Theres quite a few to try out for the SE. The forum mentioned above has all the info.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Thats an immaculate looking big yolk! Are you planning on doing big miles? Still find myself looking at the Triple R's, what are they like compared to this?

Lee

RMS Regular
OP
Lee
Thats an immaculate looking big yolk! Are you planning on doing big miles? Still find myself looking at the Triple R's, what are they like compared to this?

Cheers. I bought the Street Triple 2 years ago with 6k and sold it there with 18k. This won't see near as many miles due to some new responsibilites coming my way! But wanted something pillion friendly as my other half likes to get on the back.

I couldn't recommend a Street Triple enough. Really fun bikes. They always come out on top in reviews with bikes of the same class/era. I am 5ft 8 and I fitted fine on both bikes despite the Tiger being a fair bit bigger. It doesn't feel big on the road though.

The Tiger obviously isn't as agile as the Street Triple but not boring by any means.

ilovequo

RMS Regular
Lovely in black!
I put an Arrow onto mine - it looked great but didn’t sound as well as the Remus my Dad had on his a few years before...

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
That's class, pretty much a brand new bike lol. Looks immaculate!

Health to ride, I'm sure it's so easy to do big miles on these

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
Wow ... great condition and mileage

Owned one and put nearly 40k on it. Great bike
Some great mods for it especially the Remus twin exhaust system
Good touring seat is essential
Was never happy with the suspension as found it a tad soft especially in the twistes ... I opted for HyperPro shock and front springs. Total transformation

Pretty reliable bike too with regular maintenance

enjoy

Lee

RMS Regular
OP
Lee
Lovely in black!
I put an Arrow onto mine - it looked great but didn’t sound as well as the Remus my Dad had on his a few years before...

Cheers! I do have a Remus Powercone here for it that was kindly given to me, been avoiding putting it on as I much prefer the positioning of the standard exhaust, its what always made me like these, almost ever so slightly supermoto looking with a Delkevic etc. Also not sure how it'll work with the centre stand stop bracket.

Clearly a man of taste! Looks class!View attachment 290805

Thats lovely, I do like the white too. I see you've got the Remus, do you have a centre stand? If so, what did you do about the stop bracket for it? It mounts to the standard exhaust.

That's class, pretty much a brand new bike lol. Looks immaculate!

Health to ride, I'm sure it's so easy to do big miles on these

Thanks, yeah I've had it for a few runs and its very comfy. Just need to sort out the wind noise as its horrendous, way worse than a naked bike even! Seems to be that a screen riser kit helps a lot.

Wow ... great condition and mileage

Owned one and put nearly 40k on it. Great bike
Some great mods for it especially the Remus twin exhaust system
Good touring seat is essential
Was never happy with the suspension as found it a tad soft especially in the twistes ... I opted for HyperPro shock and front springs. Total transformation

Pretty reliable bike too with regular maintenance

enjoy

Thanks for that info. What screen setup did you have? I have seen a company called Palmer Products recommended, they do a few bits to imprive the 1050 Tiger, including a kit to raise your screen and make it adjustable.

Had it for a couple of runs. Overall I like it, as said the wind noise needs addressed. Gear changes are a bit agricultural on these, but theres a simple kit that helps with it - maybe sometime down the line. Some throttle slack to sort out too.

On the other hand, lovely to ride overall. Plenty of power, even when 2 up. Doesn't feel big on the road. And I like how it looks.

20200812_202646.jpg

ilovequo

RMS Regular
Another thing to watch for - from memory some high mounted aftermarket pipes won’t work with panniers (If you have them)

Lee

RMS Regular
OP
Lee
Another thing to watch for - from memory some high mounted aftermarket pipes won’t work with panniers (If you have them)

Cheers, I don't have panniers for it but will keep that in mind for future reference.

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
My remus works fine with my panniers, there is a tab on my remus that looks favtory that acts as a stop for the centre. I use sprint 1050 panniers with a custom bracket to allow the 2 panniers of a similar size to fit.

Lee

RMS Regular
OP
Lee
Fitted a new MRA Vario tinted touring screen to the Tiger, it actually helps the look of the bike quite a bit I think! And should help a bit with the wind noise. Also took off some of the weird reflectors. I put on a 3 digit plate too, slightly smaller than standard. Pulled it out and gave it it's second wash since getting it, I think I've done less than 400 miles on it!

I tried the Remus Powercone on but it's just not for me. Sounds quite good but I'm not fussed on how it looks. Might get a high mount aftermarket one for it sometime.

PXL_20201119_192023381.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20201121_120859282.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20201121_120736128.jpg

PXL_20201121_120709804.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

PXL_20201121_120755037.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20201121_120700379.PORTRAIT.jpg