a-kem automotive

Dan.86

RMS Regular
Going to purchase these wheel woolies. Which set is best to go for as an all rounder? Angled ones or triple set?

Alastair_S

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTI PP
So what’s the purpose of citraclean vs articulate?
Was going to ask this as well

Also @Big Pimp; would Cleanse be safe to use on diamond cut wheels? Think there's a thin coat of lacquer on GTI wheels (austin style). Running low on wheel cleaner and keen to try Cleanse :grinning:

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Has the product for exterior black trim been released yet @Big Pimp ? Could do with some for the mini.

I used Carpro Perl (mixed 1:1) on the Missus Mini Cooper as it was basically grey...comes up a treat, stays properly black.
It slowly started to lose some of the darkness after 3 weeks and a couple of washes but only a little and quick to do a second coat ...which basically just topped it up. It’s not really a coating ..more seems to seep into the plastic bringing out the black and adds some UV protection

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
OP
Big Pimp
Drives
like im late
So what’s the purpose of citraclean vs articulate?
Was going to ask this as well

Also @Big Pimp; would Cleanse be safe to use on diamond cut wheels? Think there's a thin coat of lacquer on GTI wheels (austin style). Running low on wheel cleaner and keen to try Cleanse :grinning:

okay, I'll try and keep my answer not too long, but also hope it makes sense to you guys.

Articulate will remain to be my go to traffic film remover, and the one I recommend people to use.
It's non caustic, LSP (last stage protection) safe, and does a fantastic job at the pre wash stage.

CitraClean has came from a bit of a buzz, and a bit of a necessity for some, but in typical fashion, I didn't just jump on board the 'latest & greatest' fad which takes the detailing world by storm, but rather took my time, watched what the market was doing right (and wrong in some cases) and launched a better performing product.

So what is the difference between a traffic film remover and a citrus pre wash?

On a base level they are both intended to do the same thing, but with a different chemical approach. Traffic film removers use alkaline bases mostly. Most use caustic which is a brilliant cleaner but not safe on soft metals etc which cleans really well and thoroughly. Articulate doesn't contain caustics, but strong potent alkaline cleaners and cheating agents.

Citrus pre cleaners use a solvent base. Solvents are a substance capable of cleaning a solute to form a cleaning solution and are brilliant for removing greases, oils. but repeated use (like some recommend you use every prewash) will strip waxes, sealants, and if used too long, ceramics also. They're not recommended for use around rubbers etc. as the solvent will weaken them. But when used correctly and as described they are brilliant.

Now onto when you should use one versus the other, or a combination of both.

With the recent popularity in ceramic coatings, my want to look into citrus pre washes has been ignited again.
Many will refer to ceramic coats 'clogging'

Ceramic coatings are tough, durable sealants with high resilience to extremes of pH (your typical pre wash, and occasionally post wash applications).
There has been a lot of talk around the hydrophobic performance of Ceramic coatings becoming reduced and gloss levels dropping over relatively short periods of time, but this doesn't necessarily mean that the coatings are not continuing to perform their task.

The first and most important factor to maintaining any finish is to get the wash process right.
The choice of shampoo is important. Even on cars which use traditional sealants (which have a relatively open, porous structure), shampoos containing surfactants and gloss enhancers etc. can become embedded in these open pores, which we don't want.
This would cause paintwork to look dull over time and reducing the efficacy of the sealant. The structure of ceramic coatings is more tightly composed and the pores are more densely packed. However, they can still become clogged over time, both with contamination and by ‘packed’ shampoos, and after wash products.

Gleam is a pure shampoo, and doesn't contain anything which will clog your paintwork, so it's ideal for washing of coated cars (whatever your choice of LSP is)

Ceramic coatings are formulated to be virtually impervious to extremes of pH, therefore periodically, a full decontamination using a dedicated iron particle remover, tar & bug remover and degreaser is still recommended. So long as the coating has been applied correctly, these products will not affect its integrity.

We recommend that on a monthly basis, you swap your regular traffic film remover to CitraClean to cleanse and degrease the pores. This will work equally as well on cars which have been waxed, or use normal sealants, as well as ceramic coated cars.

We also recommend that on a quarterly basis you do a full decontamination, comprising of the above - citrus degreaser, Purge and Tarminator, and then wash as normal.

These methods should increase the performance of your finish, but what about boosting hydrophobic performance?

This is where Hybrid comes into its own. Along with the depth of gloss, due to the sealants on a molecular level which encourage water to remove itself from the surface of the car it is essential in preventing contamination from adhering to the surface.

hope that makes sense!

Any more questions fire away!!!!

thanks,

rossy

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Thanks Ross, that's very informative (y) 8-|

Explains why Articulate + Gleam + Hybrid work so amazingly well with ceramic coatings, at least on my cars! Brings them back beautifully.

In winter I've been mixing in Lazer with the Articulate just to help remove all the horrible greasy winter road crime clogging everything up.

If I understand you right then Citraclean would do a similar "deep clean" job?

Plus safe to deep clean tyres, etc., as well?

Sounds worth giving it a go then (y)

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Ross @Big Pimp would you recommend washing the car and rinsing first before using the Citraclean ? I.e apply it to a clean surface? The label mentions apply to lower panels, any reason you can’t apply to all paintwork?

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
OP
Big Pimp
Drives
like im late
Ross @Big Pimp would you recommend washing the car and rinsing first before using the Citraclean ? I.e apply it to a clean surface? The label mentions apply to lower panels, any reason you can’t apply to all paintwork?

what it should have read was start with the lower panels as opposed to just the lower panels!

mid also recommend it’d be applied directly onto the dirty surface as that’s how a solvent cleaner should work - by creating solute which can then be rinsed off.

I believe one of the testers on detailing world done a very thorough examination years ago about the efficacy of rinsing your car down prior to applying the pre wash versus applying the pre wash and then rinsing and I believe that in every instance the pre wash onto the dirty panel yielded better results.

I’m waiting to hear back from @big_pete who I believe was doing some testing with it to see what his observations are.
I still think it’s too strong!

one thing it is good for is cleaning my wee fellas superstars 😂

6E7024A4-7A60-4AF5-9608-6757688D2BA0.jpeg

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
@Big Pimp any idea when the signature and Hybrid air fresheners will be back in stock? Looking to order these (amongst other things) and don't want to have to do two orders as they'd both be smallish orders then.

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
@Big Pimp Great info there dude, I'll definitely be up for getting some Cleanse to try out also. It's a perfect combo and ease of application is always key for regular cleaning. One question, when sprayed on and to the tyres too, do they need brushed or just hose off??

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
OP
Big Pimp
Drives
like im late
@Big Pimp any idea when the signature and Hybrid air fresheners will be back in stock? Looking to order these (amongst other things) and don't want to have to do two orders as they'd both be smallish orders then.
I’ve got a lot due in with me this week mate (need it for titanic dubs) and they are part of the order

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
I've noticed that not all tyre brands react the same way to tyre gel. Some simply just don't take it atall, some soak it all up and look awful and some only take a light mist/brush and look fantastic
I made the mistake of trying to put UltraSlick on the brand new Goodyear F1’s before fitted the wheels to the car and it went horrible. Ended up wiping it off but still looked very patchy.

Never had a problem before using Anachem tyre stuff but I’ve never tried it on brand new tyres that have never been washed before. Haven’t got around to trying the tyre slick on them since they’ve been washed a few times

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Going to purchase these wheel woolies. Which set is best to go for as an all rounder? Angled ones or triple set?
I need to get these ordered, been sticking my hand/arm through the spokes with half a sponge to clean the backs of my wheels 😂

had it up on the lift at work on Friday changing a track rod end and decide to grab a cloth and spray and clean the backs of the wheels from behind lol. Then washed the car and the fronts when I got home

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I made the mistake of trying to put UltraSlick on the brand new Goodyear F1’s before fitted the wheels to the car and it went horrible. Ended up wiping it off but still looked very patchy.

Never had a problem before using Anachem tyre stuff but I’ve never tried it on brand new tyres that have never been washed before. Haven’t got around to trying the tyre slick on them since they’ve been washed a few times

That's probably the waxy protective coating most brand new tyres have on though don't you think?

A good wash with Lazer (or the new Citraclean) should get that stuff off, and then do the tyre slick as usual.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
That's probably the waxy protective coating most brand new tyres have on though don't you think?

A good wash with Lazer (or the new Citraclean) should get that stuff off, and then do the tyre slick as usual.
Yeah say so, never thought tbh. I’d say articulate and purge has stripped the coating off by now. Just never got round to trying slick on them again. And new so still black enough

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Don't think Articulate or Purge would remove any waxy coating. You'd need something like Lazer (or the new Citraclean) to clean off wax and grease. And a good scrub to get it in there.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
I have really stubborn dried in bug marks on my wife's car, articulate isn't shifting it, or the mitt after a few passes. What should I try next?

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
@Big Pimp I need to place an order but wanted to wait until the new exterior trim product was available. Is it going to be a while?

davyk31

RMS Regular
@NickR85 if Ross’s product isn’t coming through soon a good option for the Mini trim is Solution Finish. I bought it for the Countryman until I can try the Anachem stuff. Pretty cheap on Amazon and lasts a good while.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Don't think Articulate or Purge would remove any waxy coating. You'd need something like Lazer (or the new Citraclean) to clean off wax and grease. And a good scrub to get it in there.
Would likely remove the oily ***** on new tyres tho. Not a proper coating of anything really just the crap they use to stop the tyres sticking in the mold

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I have really stubborn dried in bug marks on my wife's car, articulate isn't shifting it, or the mitt after a few passes. What should I try next?

Let it soak in and then powerhose, Articulate really should be enough... Schampoo and a mit should get whatever is left...

If the bugs are really ancient and baked in it might take a few attempts but they should come off...

If that fails you could try Lazer. There is nothing that Lazer won't shift :innocent: