F1 2020

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I mean proper rolling starts like they use in Indy Car and WEC. Line up in grid formation, no weaving or braking/accelerating then wait for the gantry lights to go green.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yes, the above. There is talk about that, and single file restarts, etc. Single file would be even worse, imagine how far back the end of that train would be...

But it's all from pundits and commentators, the race directors are digging in, at least in public...

It's all a bit silly though, all they have to do is stop messing about and just move the release point back again and do it properly... It was back for a reason and this is precisely why... It's not flippin' Nascar...

Reactions: DC.

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
i honestly see the point off the racism stuff

but i’d be happy if it was at the start / end off the year not every race

stevyg

RMS Regular
Another crazy race, that was brilliant! Love that track, little room for error and that DRS straight gave us plenty of overtaking. Great fights for the final podium position and final points position. Amazing lap by Leclerc in quali, him & Vettel drove the wheels off the Ferrari in the race and that's as good as they could do. Embarrassing show for their 1000th race. Glad to see Albon on the podium, though if Stroll, Sainz, Verstappen or maybe Ocon didn't have a DNF he wouldn't have come close. I was rooting for Dan Ric to hold off Bottas or at least hang with him, I think he will get a podium before the end of the season. Bottas just can't step up when it matters, he was the fastest man all weekend albeit unlucky in qualifying he should have been able to win the race. The cream always rises to the top and Hamilton outperformed him when it mattered again, great drive from him. I really hope Haas get rid of their drivers for next season, don't know what Grosjean was playing at banging wheels.

That crash at the restart was mega. Why do we even have a safety car? Let the lead driver control the pace, raise the min lap time up from the VSC. It wasn't Bottas fault, he done what he is allowed to do. It wasn't any of the back markers fault either they don't know exactly when the race leader starts all they see is a green flag. Green flag means go son! The FIA need to only wave green when the lead car actually starts. It doesn't matter if Bambi, Winnie the Poo & Lassie are all giving birth in the middle of the track, if it's a green flag they better slide because it's balls to the wall. Bit of a shambles that.

KevM

RMS Regular
I only watched the highlights last night. Total Chaos, its a great track, but Mugello may not be fit for purpose for future F1 races.

Bottas 100% caused to pile-up. Yes, he was within his rights to back things up and try to neutralise Hamilton's tow on the straight, but it was extremely dangerous and selfish to do so. Leading the pack, he had a duty of care to every driver behind him.
If I had been driving one of the cars near the back of the pack and seen greens on the start/finish, I would definitely have been Full-open too. Nearly a Billy Monger moment for someone....

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
Single file restarts with no passing until after flagman (or start line) .
There ..... sorted >>> lol .

stevyg

RMS Regular
I only watched the highlights last night. Total Chaos, its a great track, but Mugello may not be fit for purpose for future F1 races.

Bottas 100% caused to pile-up. Yes, he was within his rights to back things up and try to neutralise Hamilton's tow on the straight, but it was extremely dangerous and selfish to do so. Leading the pack, he had a duty of care to every driver behind him.
If I had been driving one of the cars near the back of the pack and seen greens on the start/finish, I would definitely have been Full-open too. Nearly a Billy Monger moment for someone....
It wasn't Bottas fault at all and he's been cleared of any wrong doing. Any other driver on the grid would have done exactly what he done, the mid pack got too racy too soon, over half the grid received a warning- 12 of them accelerated and braked according to the data before the lead car had restarted the race. But ultimately the green flags were waving and that means go so I don't blame anyone but the FIA/flag wavers for prematurely telling everyone to start racing again.
Speaking of Bottas, Russia is next and he's normally very good there. Maybe he will redeem himself.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I still think it was caused by Russell and Giovinazzi attempting to close the gap to the leading pack which the guys behind took to be the race restarted. Definitely not Bottas' fault at all.

KevM

RMS Regular
Oh I agree, he wasn't at fault, but he still caused it.

Like I say, if unable to clearly see Bottas from the back of the field (not possible), Id have took a punt & been full-throttle going onto start/finish at the sight of greens.

Track-side Signalling has caused confusion for drivers on the last 2 GP's now. Yes, they should have known better at Mugello than to rely on the lights, but they saw green and went!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Hopefully they'll see sense and just move the release point back again. That's all that needs to happen.

Moving it forward like this could only end like it did. Maybe not every time, but it leaves everyone with only one option. The guy at the front has to slow right down and go right at the line, there is no other choice. The guys at the back have to go flat out as soon as there is movement in front, there is no other choice. Any confusion in the middle and the result is exactly what happened at Monza.

There is no option for the lead car to make for a get-away with a smooth restart behind.

If they really want to force a first corner show-down every time there is a safety car then the only safe way is a standing restart off the lights.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
this is from Kimi Raikkonens Instagram :laughing:

82C2AFC3-4C16-420A-8E6D-6446A6D57B59.png

19CCD9F6-3486-4E62-820B-4DFC5A4C5AC1.png

KevM

RMS Regular
It’s synthesised racing. Wouldn’t surprise me if it was all corrupt to the core. Ferrari made ‘a deal’. Perhaps Mercedes have left a big envelope somewhere too. They’re not on the same page as the rest.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Nah, he is brilliant and along with Hamilton probably one of the fairer drivers on the grid in terms of not punting people off generally.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Listening to Kimi’s recent team radio makes him sound like a tw*t. Shouting back at his race engineer for no apparent reason.

His attitude would try my patience if I was working with him.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Compared to the chief complainer Grosjean I think he would be grand to work with!

TBH they all seem to have their moments of yapping on the radio, and only a bit of it is actually put out there for people to hear.

Reactions: DC.

stevyg

RMS Regular
I love Kimi. His engineer doesn't understand him on the radio sometimes that's why he gets frustrated, Kimi wants you to tell him straight and they beat around the bush trying to sugar coat it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.