Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

clio_craig

RMS Regular
Drives
Renault clio
Parents merc is up on the 30th September. Phoned and got told we need to email, give the cars details and ask for an extension. Whole things a ****ing mess.
Should be left as normal, book online and then give out an extension if it can’t be done.

Do you have the email dude?

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
I'm stuck in this situation myself

Impreza MOT expired at the end of August and hasn't been extended. Websites all say it's out of MOT.

Been trying the phone number to book one for weeks at various times of day including 8am when the lines open and it always says the line is extremely busy and hangs up. Still yet to get through to anyone, and can't book online.

Any ideas?

It's a 2003, so can't see why it wasn't extended, though I brought it over from England in January, so hasn't had an NI mot before

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'm stuck in this situation myself

Impreza MOT expired at the end of August and hasn't been extended. Websites all say it's out of MOT.

Been trying the phone number to book one for weeks at various times of day including 8am when the lines open and it always says the line is extremely busy and hangs up. Still yet to get through to anyone, and can't book online.

Any ideas?

It's a 2003, so can't see why it wasn't extended, though I brought it over from England in January, so hasn't had an NI mot before

English imports don't get an extension. I brought one back in August 2019. Needed to go get it MOTd. Keep trying the booking number that's in the NI Direct website. They had very good availability for me.

RevT

RMS Regular
Email DVA on :

dva.customerservices@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk

Explain your situation and supply them with all vehicles details and they’ll stick an extention on it.
English imports don't get an extension. I brought one back in August 2019. Needed to go get it MOTd. Keep trying the booking number that's in the NI Direct website. They had very good availability for me.

They do. I’ve had three English cars done. I also gave @euge07 details on how to do it the other day and he’s just had one sorted I believe.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Email DVA on :

Explain your situation and supply them with all vehicles details and they’ll stick an extention on it.

They do. I’ve had three English cars done. I also gave @euge07 details on how to do it the other day and he’s just had one sorted I believe.

They don't. I got one extended, but another they wouldn't do it and had to be tested here 2 weeks ago.

RevT

RMS Regular
They don't. I got one extended, but another they wouldn't do it and had to be tested here 2 weeks ago.

Hmm, they do, if I’ve had three done and Euge got one done in the last few days they are obviously putting at least some through. You maybe got someone on an off day or else we’ve got quite a few people on good days.

Was the one that needed extended a fresh motor and how long had the test expired?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Or perhaps I didn't ask the right question?
Hmm, they do, if I’ve had three done and Euge got one done in the last few days they are obviously putting at least some through. You maybe got someone on an off day or else we’ve got quite a few people on good days.

Was the one that needed extended a fresh motor and how long had the test expired?

One that was extended had the MOT expire in 2013.

The other was just out. Was MOTd the day before it landed in NI and they insisted it needed tested.

RevT

RMS Regular
Or perhaps I didn't ask the right question?

One that was extended had the MOT expire in 2013.

The other was just out. Was MOTd the day before it landed in NI.

Unlucky. It should have obviously been the other way around for your two.

AFAIK they are sorting older English motors out no problem as long as the test hasn’t expired more than 12 months.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
My car was registered in England up until May this year, for insurance purposes. (Company group policy) I changed to a personal policy and therefore had to get the car changed into my name in May.

Its been MOT'd in Northern Ireland the last 3 years, but no exemption for me, boooo. So MOT booked for 5th of October. Dates were available from 30th of September.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
My car was registered in England up until May this year, for insurance purposes. (Company group policy) I changed to a personal policy and therefore had to get the car changed into my name in May.

Its been MOT'd in Northern Ireland the last 3 years, but no exemption for me, boooo. So MOT booked for 5th of October. Dates were available from 30th of September.

This doesn’t make sense!

I bought my car in April- had only been in England before that with all English MOT’s...

Registered it here in April and MOT was up today- contacted them by email and they have added 6 months TEC on today

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Don’t know how but mine was due some stage in the next few weeks and it’s now showing I’m good til 31st March next year.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
This doesn’t make sense!

I bought my car in April- had only been in England before that with all English MOT’s...

Registered it here in April and MOT was up today- contacted them by email and they have added 6 months TEC on today
I thought it was weird also, but that's what they said on the phone

Maybe I missed some arbitrary cut-off or something, I changed the V5c details end of May time.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
I thought it was weird also, but that's what they said on the phone

Maybe I missed some arbitrary cut-off or something, I changed the V5c details end of May time.

Did you send the pro-forma to the DVA customer service email address with all the necessary vehicle and your details ?
They replied to that by adding on the TEC

rollinstone

RMS Regular
Drives
Old man car
If you ring up and the lines are busy just keep trying that's what I did and I've an appointment now for the 7th Oct, still going to have to try to get a cancellation as need to get the motor on the road ASAP!

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
If you ring up and the lines are busy just keep trying that's what I did and I've an appointment now for the 7th Oct, still going to have to try to get a cancellation as need to get the motor on the road ASAP!

No need to ring if your car doesn’t fall into the categories that require a physical MOT.

If it’s an English car or MOT hadn’t expired over 12 months ago just email the DVA customer service

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I will maybe try and call and query it then.

Only took about 5-10 minutes to get through for me last time.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Just had a look on the .gov mot checker website and a 4yr old car (would've been first MOT) and an 8 Yr old car have just had their Mots extended again automatically. Thought the 4yr old one def would've been going ahead!

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
Just had a look on the .gov mot checker website and a 4yr old car (would've been first MOT) and an 8 Yr old car have just had their Mots extended again automatically. Thought the 4yr old one def would've been going ahead!
My 4yr old car had a further extension then they took it back. Apparently they get a max 6mth extension.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Email DVA on :

Sent them an email today, but no luck. I've tried that number loads of times over the last few weeks and never got an answer. Whole situation is a disaster

IMG-20200921-WA0002.jpg

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Just checked the wifes car due up in November, automatically extended to May 21, happy at that!