F1 2020

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's a proper old school circuit, there should be some decent racing and overtaking. Fingers crossed and all that.

That's a decent chance of rain to mix things up and level the field for RB.

KHI

RMS Regular
Drives
very early!
Not a bad race today though a bit of rain would of definitely spiced it up.

I suspected yesterday that Bottas's set up was a tad more suitable for quali,it's something he has did quite a bit before in the past and it showed as soon as the race
got underway as Hamilton clearly had the superior pace.Hamilton made a substantial gap to Verstappen as soon as he passed Bottas.

Comedy moment of the day was Bottas saying he could of probably under cut Hamilton.How he could of done that with the time he had already lost and Ham and Ver stopping on lap 16 under the virtual safety car is beyond me.
As soon as he locked up he lost the race and he knows it.

Chuffed to bits for Danny Ric,he;s too good a driver to be in the midfield so it was great to see him on the podium.

I think the writing is on the wall for Albon after today,it really couldn't of been any worse for him today.
Max is obviously such a great talent there must be a lot of pressure on any driver who partners him,for once mebbe Redbull should consider partnering Max with
a more seasoned driver like Perez or Hulkenburg rather than tarnishing young drivers careers.

Oh dear Vettel.........

Crofty and more suprisingly Brundle were off their game today,they were both mystified why Albon pitted so early when not long before they commentated on him having a
huge lock up,doh!
Crofty also thought Merc had screwed up Hamilton's pit stop and was starting to blether about Covid affected Merc employees until Brundle informed him Hamilton was held as Max went by.

Quite a nice sporting moment when Mick Shumacher presented Lewis Hamilton with one his Dads helmets for equalling his Dads wins tally of 91.You could hear the emotion in Martin Brundle's voice when he said how unfortunate it was that Michael Shumacher couldn't present it himself.Keep fighting Michael!

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Anyone catch di resta put rosberg back in his box after the race mid analysis?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Job done, another record down :cool:

Unlucky for Bottas. Did a great job at the start but he had already lost the race when the engine gave up.

Well done Ric, and well deserved.

Unlucky for Perez, that stupid Hollywood "safety car" at the end cost him dearly.

Didn't phase Lewis though! It's just ridiculous with stunts like that from the race director. The drivers were complaining how unsafe it was. No reason for it at all other than to force a "showdown"... They removed Russell's car from the same spot earlier no bother...

Brilliant by Hulkenberg. Got to the track an hour before quali. Qualified last. Finished in the points.

Drove circles round Vettel too 😅

So that's Perez and Hulkenberg without drives next year. And Vettel at RP despite being comprehensively out-performed by both. Makes total sense :innocent: But hey, that's F1.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Are there any seats going still that would allow Hulk a decent drive? Not too worried if Perez is there next year tbh.

Coulthard is getting better and better at the commentary on C4 I have found too.

Was a fantastic line about the stewards giving another penalty out for a racing incident along the lines of how many of them have actually competed. Other comentator said someone (cant remember the name), response was with all due respect to him, that was a long time ago 😂

scub

Banned
Job done, another record down :cool:

Unlucky for Bottas. Did a great job at the start but he had already lost the race when the engine gave up.

Well done Ric, and well deserved.

Unlucky for Perez, that stupid Hollywood "safety car" at the end cost him dearly.

Didn't phase Lewis though! It's just ridiculous with stunts like that from the race director. The drivers were complaining how unsafe it was. No reason for it at all other than to force a "showdown"... They removed Russell's car from the same spot earlier no bother...

Brilliant by Hulkenberg. Got to the track an hour before quali. Qualified last. Finished in the points.

Drove circles round Vettel too 😅

So that's Perez and Hulkenberg without drives next year. And Vettel at RP despite being comprehensively out-performed by both. Makes total sense :innocent: But hey, that's F1.
job done??
seriously., 🤦‍♂️
5 titles where his only rival was his 3rd rate team mate. & he couldn't even beat all of them...
you can't be that deluded or naive?

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Are there any seats going still that would allow Hulk a decent drive? Not too worried if Perez is there next year tbh.
Haas I think are yet to announce their seats and Albon's seat is looking precarious after the last few grand prix, but I would say they would be more like to parachute Gasly in again now he's developed a bit more.

job done??
seriously., 🤦‍♂️
5 titles where his only rival was his 3rd rate team mate. & he couldn't even beat all of them...
you can't be that deluded or naive?
Bottas, fair enough hasn't been champion material but you're forgetting about the years that Rosberg was his teammate. Probably the strongest teammate he's had. I personally wouldn't bet again Hamilton getting to 100 and beyond. He doesn't look anywhere like he's ready to quit.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I do laugh at all the criticism of Hamilton as a driver. Criticise him all you want for the other aspects of his life but are you guys seriously doubting his credentials as a driver? Just look at what he has achieved and also look at what those that compete against him or work with him say.

Schumacher wouldn’t have had all the titles without a dominant Ferrari either.

I think Brundle said on Sky this week - the best drivers end up in the best cars, that’s not a coincidence

Just read this as well - I’m not the biggest fan of the writer but some of the stats are hard to argue with

Last edited:

pablo

RMS Moderator
he showed real skill against Bottas imo, he had a crack at the start to put the pressure on then sat at a consistent gap waiting for Bottas to crack, which he did and it was game over. lol @ trying an undercut, not a chance.

I wish Max could get a car that would allow him to fight the mercs, they are so close. Even early in the race it was +14s or so to 4th place. Albon surely for the chop for making an utter mess of his race.

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb

Coulthard is getting better and better at the commentary on C4 I have found too.

Was a fantastic line about the stewards giving another penalty out for a racing incident along the lines of how many of them have actually competed. Other comentator said someone (cant remember the name), response was with all due respect to him, that was a long time ago 😂

Derek Warrick. Enjoyed that too.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
I don't begrudge Hamilton the records or the wins he truly is a fantastic driver.

However I do begrudge this strangle hold that Mercedes seem to have over F1 that if we don't get our way we are taking our ball and going home.

I know the new engine regulations coming in are scrapping the MGU-H to make the engines less complicated but its getting to the point no other manufacturer will enter the sport due to the complications and knowing it will never be a match for Mercedes.

My view has always been has a standardised hybrid system then let the manufactures build their engines round that.

What bemuses me is whenever Ferrari deployed the F2002 the FIA changed the tyre regulations for the next year as it was too dominant then we had a decent 2003 season. Then when the F2004 destroyed everything in its path they reacted immediately to really shake up the rules for 2005 to stop the dominance and Renault and McLaren were able to catch up.

In this era there has been so little of that fair enough a few aero rule changes but nothing major and we have been stuck with Mercedes domination since 2014 and with the rules locked for next year too may as well just hand next years trophies over now.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Difficult to see what Hamilton could do different. He’s not going to turn down Mercedes support from the age of 13, no driver would.

He’s also not going to leave a winning team - why would he? No other driver on the grid would leave Mercedes and go drive for someone else.

A consequence of the rules remaining stable and the power unit playing such an important role in car performance.

If it was cheaper to change the engine regs I think the FIA would have acted sooner but they risk losing manufacturers who have invested hundreds of millions of euros into them already.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I don't get the gripe with merc dominating. Competing in F1 isn't just about the drivers on the grid.

They are much better at building a car than everyone else, end of story.

If a driver won loads of races in equal machinary we wouldn't want rules in place to slow that driver down and make it fair on the others. It's competition and marcedes and Hamilton are just leagues ahead of everyone else

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Why did Albon not finish?

He got caught up in the pack early on, and then got that ridiculous penalty, but didn't see what was terminal?

Nobody else can drive that RB but Max. They've tried a few other RB drivers already and none have done any better. And they've all done well again once back in the sister cars at AT so clearly not a driver issue.

The only one who could match Max was Danny R, but they wouldn't give him equal status in the team so here we are.

It's hard to see any other top rank drivers joining RB, they all know they will be in the same place as Danny R and be support drivers for Max. The team is set up around Max, it's just how it is.

RB have pretty much exhausted their own supply of drivers now. So barring hiring Hulkenberg or Perez they're pretty much stuck with what they have.

I think both Hulkenberg and Perez would be up for it. I don't know if they would do any better. And I don't know how it would play with the RB drivers' programme.

scub

Banned
Haas I think are yet to announce their seats and Albon's seat is looking precarious after the last few grand prix, but I would say they would be more like to parachute Gasly in again now he's developed a bit more.

Bottas, fair enough hasn't been champion material but you're forgetting about the years that Rosberg was his teammate. Probably the strongest teammate he's had. I personally wouldn't bet again Hamilton getting to 100 and beyond. He doesn't look anywhere like he's ready to quit.
Tbf he could sprout wings & change his name to Gabriel & i'd still be sickened by the sight of him, so I'm hardly a balanced judge of his achievements haha 😇

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
I don't get the gripe with merc dominating. Competing in F1 isn't just about the drivers on the grid.

They are much better at building a car than everyone else, end of story.

If a driver won loads of races in equal machinary we wouldn't want rules in place to slow that driver down and make it fair on the others. It's competition and marcedes and Hamilton are just leagues ahead of everyone else

Well for me it boils down to the whole sport being a form of entertainment.

In order for the sport to get the money in they need to provide something to encourage people to watch and pay for subscriptions.

Two Merc's driving off into the sunset isn't entertaining.

F1 always has periods of domination but its usually a 4 year period then the FIA jump in to shake things up.

Any sport has done it to peg back those in front are running away with it, sure the Premier League was the exact same when Man City was outspending everyone they needed to bring in some form of regulations to peg them back to make it interesting again.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Why did Albon not finish?

He got caught up in the pack early on, and then got that ridiculous penalty, but didn't see what was terminal?
According to Horner when interviewed by Sky, a stone had punctured one of the radiators and they retired the car to save the power unit.
Tbf he could sprout wings & change his name to Gabriel & i'd still be sickened by the sight of him, so I'm hardly a balanced judge of his achievements haha 😇
I will admit during the Ferrari-Schumacher years, I was sick of the sight of him winning all the time (same could be said for Loeb in the WRC) but I now recognise his achievements for what they are. A supreme driver at the wheel of a supremely engineered car.

Alonso is also considered to be one of the best drivers of the modern generation and only has 2 championships but that was largely down to being in the wrong car at the wrong time. Champions need to be in capable machinery. Anyone touting the old "stick him in a Williams and see how he does" can't expect any of the greats to suddenly start winning with substandard cars. On the flip side there are 2 race winning cars (Merc and Redbull) on the grid and yet it's 1 driver from each team that's dominating. It just goes to show you can't just throw anyone into these cars and expect results.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.