Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

rollinstone

RMS Regular
Drives
Old man car
Sent them an email today, but no luck. I've tried that number loads of times over the last few weeks and never got an answer. Whole situation is a disaster

View attachment 296205
Mate have to keep trying I managed to get through today just when you hear the automated our lines are too busy hang up give it a minute or two and go again, pain in the ar$€ but worth it when you get it!

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Mate have to keep trying I managed to get through today just when you hear the automated our lines are too busy hang up give it a minute or two and go again, pain in the ar$€ but worth it when you get it!
Thanks, finally got through earlier today and booked an MOT. Must have tried that line over 100 times over the last few weeks

K55

RMS Regular
I'm stuck in this situation myself

Impreza MOT expired at the end of August and hasn't been extended. Websites all say it's out of MOT.

Been trying the phone number to book one for weeks at various times of day including 8am when the lines open and it always says the line is extremely busy and hangs up. Still yet to get through to anyone, and can't book online.

Any ideas?

It's a 2003, so can't see why it wasn't extended, though I brought it over from England in January, so hasn't had an NI mot before

Strangely I managed to get the MOT extended on a car from England - despite it never having been tested here. Simply emailed them on the above address and got a reply several days later, hey presto 6 months added!

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Our mini is 2017 and is still showing as MOT being due in October 2017, I believe it came from Scotland. I assume I need to contact them as it should be 4 years for a first MOT in NI?

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Strangely I managed to get the MOT extended on a car from England - despite it never having been tested here. Simply emailed them on the above address and got a reply several days later, hey presto 6 months added!

Yep the same for me...emailed that pro-forma and it got extended even tho never been registered in N.I. or had an MOT over here.

No point ringing them- just email them and wait for their reply as mentioned

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Yep the same for me...emailed that pro-forma and it got extended even tho never been registered in N.I. or had an MOT over here.

No point ringing them- just email them and wait for their reply as mentioned

I done the same with that form and was told I couldn't have an extension as it had never been mot'd in NI, seems to be luck of the draw

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Got through on the phone on 3rd attempt today and got talking to someone very sensible and straightforward. Sorted.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Been ringing for the past three days at various times and either get the "we're experiencing a high volume of calls" or "all our operators are busy" message and the call ends.
Anyone else had this? Had hoped to book the test for the weekend.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Does anyone know what’s happening about MOT refunds? My wife just got a cheque from “Account NI” with a refund of £16 for her test which was cancelled due to the defective lifts. Her fee was £30.50, any idea why it didn’t get fully refunded?

Also we have a good few other vehicles which haven’t received any refunds at all, for tests that had been booked earlier in the year.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Does anyone know what’s happening about MOT refunds? My wife just got a cheque from “Account NI” with a refund of £16 for her test which was cancelled due to the defective lifts. Her fee was £30.50, any idea why it didn’t get fully refunded?

Also we have a good few other vehicles which haven’t received any refunds at all, for tests that had been booked earlier in the year.
Did you pay by credit/debit card? It normally gets refunded directly back into that. I booked mine in early Feb but the refund didn't come through until April I think (about a week after the test was due to be). I still haven't received my £16 for defective lift cancellation.

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Tried snoopcousin’s form for an English MOT’d car but got told it needs MOT’d here 😭

This booking phone line’s great craic.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Tried snoopcousin’s form for an English MOT’d car but got told it needs MOT’d here 😭

This booking phone line’s great craic.

Strange that some get let through...
Mine was never MOT or registered in NI before either but got 6 months TEC until March 21

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Works for some and not others. Consistently inconsistent :grinning:

To be honest I think I'd prefer to MOT now than have one over winter anyway. There'll be a significant back log, you will have to stand outside and it's going to get cold.

Loggie

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra
Not MOT related exactly but does anyone know if you can apply for a trailer test or if there is a targeted date for this? Nothing available online so assume not? Really need to get it as soon as possible :worried:

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Not MOT related exactly but does anyone know if you can apply for a trailer test or if there is a targeted date for this? Nothing available online so assume not? Really need to get it as soon as possible :worried:
The guy I done mine with put up on Facebook the other day that all tests were being cancelled due to the latest restrictions. This is what he put up:

ALL TESTS CANCELLED

Firstly I'd like to apologise to all our students for the difficulty and frustration this will cause. At 2.30pm on Friday 16 October....
(3 hours 30 mins notification) we have been told by the DVA we must stop all lessons. All tests booked from Monday 19th October 2020 for 4 weeks will be cancelled and the DVA will refund. Apologies again, but please note we have no control over the powers that be...
STAY SAFE.

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
Wife's car is coming 4 yr old. I tried phoning about 20 times over couple of weeks before getting through to anyone, always said I hadn't even joined the queue and hung up. After a good few attempts I did email the address mentioned a few pages back on here but got copy and paste reply saying to phone the number.

Anyway, took it over on Thur evening, have to get out and stand over in the smoking hut, took 25 mins so not sure what he was at but anyway all passed.

Serious hassle though getting it booked, why can't they just use the website?

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
Website is open to book online
1CD9878E-727D-4FD0-AB62-B9E527A978A3.png

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
Then why did they tell me the only way to book a test was by phone?

I did look on the website but seemed to be for HGV only.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Happy days, have one to book shortly, tried a few weeks back and couldn't get through after ringing for a full week.

I think they'd the online booking closed as they only wanted stuff out of an mot for over 2years or whatever it was and so someone had to physically check and explain this.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
The mini we bought is 2017 and is showing as being due MOT in November this year. Surely it should be 2021 when the 4 years is up? Any ideas about how to get it sorted?