Bought a vehicle with no V5

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Does anyone know how I can get a V5 for a vehicle I've just bought, I bought the car blind from GB and had it delivered on a lorry, when it arrived there were two old V5's but the front page was missing for both of them. I was able to get the 11 digit document reference number off the last page though and used it to attempt to do a change of address online, but the online service tells me the details I am using are incorrect. So it looks like there must be a more up to date V5 that has been issued and subsequently lost by the seller....

Is there a straight forward way that I (the purchaser) can get a new V5 and the vehicle transferred into my name, or does the seller need to first obtain a duplicate V5 and then send it to me? I've been round and round in circles on the DVLA website and can't see a way for the purchaser to do this.

Unfortunately the seller is Austrian and has moved back home and isn't being particularly helpful!

KevM

RMS Regular
New keeper slip will generate a new V5 when you provide your contact details.
I’m not so sure it does, page 1 signed by the previous keeper, will do that.

If you V62 it, they’ll write to the previous keeper to verify disposal. It can take ages, but the good thing is, you’ve taxed it so can drive on

RevT

RMS Regular
Yep, as far as I know, taxing with the new keeper slip will not prompt a new tax book to be issued. It requires the change of ownership to be completed online, atleast it did the last time I tried at the start of the year.

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
I’m not so sure it does, page 1 signed by the previous keeper, will do that.

If you V62 it, they’ll write to the previous keeper to verify disposal. It can take ages, but the good thing is, you’ve taxed it so can drive on

This.

Even with a new keeper slip, they still write to the registered owner to confirm they are no longer in possession of the vehicle. Minimum six week wait ahead.

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
The address they have for the previous owner is Wales and he has gone home to Austria, so there will be nobody to answer their request

hopefully I can do change of ownership online using the document ref no off the new keeper slip!

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
After getting Pee’d around something fierce before by a seller That ‘just has to get the book from my other house’ followed by excuse after excuse as to location of the book after cash exchanged hands and then the DVA in sorting the book I would never buy another car thar doesn’t have the book sitting looking at me to fill in.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
V62 form with new keeper slip will generate one free, if you don't have new keeper slip it's a £25 fee

soccersmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
F32+RSV1000
Big risk buying without a V5.
I'd only do it if I knew the seller (and done my checks if it was more than a couple of grand.) Glad it worked out for you though

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Anyone know the current wait for a new v5? Bought my car beginning of Oct and still no v5.
If its done online its quick if its via post it'll take ages, I waited 16 weeks via post then was advised by DVA to submit a Form V62. Magically when I put a V62 form in with the fee it came the next week...