Toyota Yaris GR

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Dream Car Giveaways must have 1 coming up for raffle, they posted a photo of 1 being delivered earlier.

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S

Impressed they have one already, has to be one of the first in the UK.

Would love a spin in one, they sound great fun.

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
Would love one, but just isn't special enough to be tucked away in the garage I don't think!

Would make a great daily though, just too small for my daily needs!

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
The pic from the front is hectic looking. Hard to believe that's a production car.

Would love a drive in one

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
Did you see how well it did against the fk8. Carwow tested the pair together and although it was wet, providing
4wd biased conditions, it did phenomenally well. I still don't want one though....I want a GR Corolla in 2023.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Did you see how well it did against the fk8. Carwow tested the pair together and although it was wet, providing
4wd biased conditions, it did phenomenally well. I still don't want one though....I want a GR Corolla in 2023.

Heavier car with the same drivetrain? I'd imagine the yaris to be much more fun. But then I suppose the Corolla will be more practical?

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Did ok but when u look at how the the gp3 mini got on and they are a bout the same price, makes the mini look a bargain

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Can't imagine paying £33k+ for a Yaris - probably a number of years ago people thought the same about Golf's and A3's, etc... and now some of them are starting at £50k

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
Heavier car with the same drivetrain? I'd imagine the yaris to be much more fun. But then I suppose the Corolla will be more practical?
Yes purely from a practicality aspect being a bit bigger etc and do prefer the looks or the new corolla too despite them and the Yaris sharing similar lines. Wonder will the weight difference be that great?.

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
Can't imagine paying £33k+ for a Yaris - probably a number of years ago people thought the same about Golf's and A3's, etc... and now some of them are starting at £50k
I think the only thing this car shares with the Yaris are the front and rear lights and maybe few other things, there's little to no Yaris in it of the base model! A £50k golf or A3 has a lot of the same parts as a the base model I'd imagine!.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Oh I know - couldn't tell you how many times people have referred to my car as an "A3" and only those really in the know will know the subtle differences

Another example was when I had my Scirocco R, a woman came up to me in work saying she had one as well, turned out it the only thing they had in common was the colour, green and it was a diesel lol

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
I think the weather conditions would have helped the Yaris there shine a more against the fk8. The 3 cylinder stills seems to have good legs even up after 100mph which i didn't expect, those fk8s pull hard enough after 100mph themselves too.

Dynam0humm

RMS Regular
My issue is its not exactly the practical hot hatch for the average family with kids like the competition has to offer. That's my biggest gripe with it. In my mind it's for a young lad / lady with no family still soul searching for the perfect life / career whilst driving a cool car. What 35-40 year old family man is going to buy that and feel like a legend.
Practicality was never in the design brief. It was built as a homologation special until Covid changed the rules and that is why it's so ****ing awesome. If you need space in the back and want all the latest creature comforts then this car isn't for you.

It's not really a Yaris though, is it? Think of it more like a GT86 or MX5 rival as a full fat version of one of those is a similar price to the standard GR4, then think of how much more special the GR4 is.

The new GT86 will have a rumoured 2.5L NA 230bhp lump and will possibly start with a £3 when it arrives, so I won't be surprised if Toyota UK quickly sell out the first allocation of GR4's, then maybe mention something about WLTP and bump them up closer to 40k to differentiate it from the GT. It could be a shrewd move buying one now...

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Some nice shots from Evo's Car of the Year article/shoot, Yaris behaving like a hooligan just as it should (y)

1607955292292.png

1607955422032.png

1607955437284.png

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
Hurst's Toyota in Newtownabbey have one; when you see it sitting beside a normal Yaris it hardly even looks like it's based on the same car - it is FAT/PHAT

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Hurst's Toyota in Newtownabbey have one; when you see it sitting beside a normal Yaris it hardly even looks like it's based on the same car - it is FAT/PHAT

That's not a bad thing tbh. Would you really want it looking anything like a yaris 😂 especially for the price. I think they look absolutely class. Can't wait to see them in person and hopefully get a test out in one