Home charging point

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
How much is a charge costing you fellas, say 8hr overnight charge?

Ours is a etron 50 with 71kw battery, we charged it from flat last night, the balance on the electric meter dropped by a over a £10! I didnt think it was as much as that, although one charge a week does us so its no big deal.

The supercharger we normally use is out of order and becoming available less and less due to more demand, they really need to increase the number of public chargers here as the amount of Ev’s here is definitely on the rise? I’ve noticed a lot more on the roads this year.

Last edited:

Marc

RMS Moderator
How much is a charge costing you fellas, say 8hr overnight charge?

Ours is a 50kw etron and we had to charge it from flat last night, the balance on the electric meter dropped by a over a £10! I didnt think it was as much as that, although one charge a week does is.

The supercharger we normally use is out of order and becoming available less and less sure to demand, they really need to increase the number of public chargers here as the amount of Ev’s here is definitely on the rise.
They will be increasing the number of public chargers but they will be charging a fee per kw like in the south, so it will be beneficial to charge at home. I think the fee is something like 25p per kw on the public network.
At home your around 17p per kw, so your 50kw charge will cost about £8-£9 at home.

if you take how many miles you get to that £9 and see how much it would cost in the likes of a Q5 you will realise it’s still good value.

When the public charging is paid for, you will soo find that switching to a dual meter setup with overnight rates could be beneficial.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Ah that explains it 71kw battery by 17p a kw does end up around the £11 mark. I Must look into a dual meter, I assumed that night rates were just cheaper anyway but maybe not as simple as that. Our charger is about 5 year old so maybe a newer one might be more efficient?

Marc

RMS Moderator
Ah that explains it 71kw battery by 17p a kw does end up around the £11 mark. I Must look into a dual meter, I assumed that night rates were just cheaper anyway but maybe not as simple as that. Our charger is about 5 year old so maybe a newer one might be more efficient?

the dual meter tarrif works something like say 20p per kw during the day and 10p for the 7/10 hours at night. (Not actual costs)

The charger is actually part of your car, the thing on the wall is not a charger, it’s just supplying electricity to the charger in the car.

You would need the ability to set charging times on a schedule to take advantage of the night rate, so likely you could set this up on the car, saves you running out at midnight to connect the car to the grid.

Marc

RMS Moderator
Is that with economy 7 @Marc ?
Yup! Or I think when I looked into it Economy 10 was also an option.

I done the sums and for me at the min with the amount of free charging I have done it doesn’t make sense to me, but once the on street charging becomes a thing I will revisit it as I think it will work out for the best.

I have had £300 free fuel the last 6 months 👍👍

I have only started to top up at home the past few weeks with the weather changing and not wanting to walk the 5/6 mins to work from the charger these days, I am using the free public charger for a couple of hours 2 times a week and maybe the Rapid charger at the weekend once.

I think post-Covid the on street charger will end up being a lot busier and getting a spot will be more difficult when people are back in the office.
00F8873B-5539-4DEA-A661-10478D472409.jpeg

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
We do that few miles that I'm not sure we will see the benefit of changing either, especially with working at home during the day. Need to look into it a bit more.

Had looked at providers online. Seems the choice for NI is a bit poor?

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
This week was the first time we charged it at home too lol. Been on free electric since August. One rapid charge for 1hr per week does the job. It wont last forever though! There is a 22kw public charger about 1.5 miles from the house that we can use I’ll maybe try that next time. The rapid charger at vouchers has cars queuing up for it at times!

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Full charge for the E Golf on economy 7 is about £2.50 but in reality I have been trickle charging it via solar for most of the year as working from home since April and using public chargers if I am out and about.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
£2.50 is cheap what size batteries and how much range on that @Mark Irwin
35.8 kw with about 32 kwh usable. During summer it can be up to 160 miles or down to 100 miles in middle of winter ❄️ Average of around 130 miles I do 18k per year and it is enough for most of my driving. Use rapids if going down south or longer journeys.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
This week was the first time we charged it at home too lol. Been on free electric since August. One rapid charge for 1hr per week does the job. It wont last forever though! There is a 22kw public charger about 1.5 miles from the house that we can use I’ll maybe try that next time. The rapid charger at vouchers has cars queuing up for it at times!
Maxol Shaw's bridge?

I've found one at my local Lidl so planning on topping it up while I grab the groceries.

Boucher is also close to us but I've noticed Hurst's tend to have cars at it charging a lot.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Full charge for the E Golf on economy 7 is about £2.50 but in reality I have been trickle charging it via solar for most of the year as working from home since April and using public chargers if I am out and about.
What kind of set-up is the solar charger? Charger, cable, etc.? I'm wondering is this something I can do with my PHEV.

Ciaran

RMS Regular
Drives
i3 REX
Cheers, looks like a good job. Did you buy if direct from podpoint or Baird?

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Using a Zappi 2 to charge from solar; it has 3 different settings to minimise the use of mains electric. Mine is wired directly into the meter box. This is connected to the internet so I can monitor and manage from my phone.
P1010580.JPG

davyk31

RMS Regular
May be looking into chargers soon. I have a big garage where cabling will be easy. Am I right in thinking that the best option is to contact someone like Baird Electrical and I will have nothing to pay as the grant covers it all? Is it as simple as that or are there choices to think about?

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
May be looking into chargers soon. I have a big garage where cabling will be easy. Am I right in thinking that the best option is to contact someone like Baird Electrical and I will have nothing to pay as the grant covers it all? Is it as simple as that or are there choices to think about?
Grant is unlikely to cover it all and I think it has been reduced since I put my first one in 3 years ago. All depends on the type of charger you buy which will dictate the price; also useful to negotiate as there were mainland companies who could (and would) do it for me cheaper than some local suppliers. Also make sure you are getting what you are paying for; I was told I was getting a 7kw charger but found out later that it was only 3.6kwh.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Is it a case that the prices are bumped up because of the grant and you could buy a charger yourself and get a local electrician to install?

That’s a bit poor not getting what you had ordered Mark. How did you discover that and who was your installer as they should maybe be avoided never mind kicked off the approved installer scheme.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The most recent one a friend fitted, the unit itself was around £500. Although by sounds of things it was not very easy to use. Customer bought it from a local supplier. Project EV was the brand.
From what he showed me of it....it looked kinda cheap, although does seem to comply with most of the regs easy enough.

The Zappi V2 does seem to be one of the better ones from a lot of the youtube videos.

Certainly the Tesla charger is a bit crap