GTI Clubsport, M135i, A4 Avant, 320i Touring?

Crxpete

RMS Regular
Drives
R55 MCS, SQ5
Hi Guys

Got a new company car list and I’ve went through it and I’ve shortlisted it to the below.

Any help or comments would be appreciated as I’ve not driven any of these newer models.

I’ll be commuting a lot between Comber and Dublin, I’ll have some hand tools and test equipment in the boot. The back seat will do for the suitcase if I’m away for a few nights!

- A4 Avant 40TFSI Sline/Black Edition
- A4 Avant 35TDI Sline/Black Edition
- A4 Avant 40TDI Sport
- A6 Avant 40TFSI Sport
- BMW M135i MSport
- BMW 320i MSport Touring
- VW Golf GTI Clubsport 300

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
My personally choice would be the A4 40TFSI, but it sounds like you don’t need a big car so I’d say M135 or Golf.

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
Out of that list I'd say go for the Golf Clubsport.

...Unless you need loads of room, then go for the A4 Avant TFSI.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
I'd be between the two BMWs, depending on how much space you need.

320i might also be that bit nicer for longer trips as well as more space, and still isn't a huge car in the grand scheme of things.

redxl77

RMS Regular
A6 or 320i MSport

Common complaint with the new golf - you can't change the temp without having to go through menus... I couldn't imagine not having a simple physical dial to easily turn up/down.

The grille on the M135i looks like one of those black dresses with shiny bits thrown on to it!

Last edited:

dh1079

RMS Regular
Drives
loads
135i all day
Spent most of night shift looking at them after enjoying my 125d from purchase 135i is next on my list

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
A6 or 320i MSport

Common complaint with the new golf - you can't change the temp without having to go through menus... I couldn't imagine not having a simple physical dial to easily turn up/down.

The grille on the M135i looks like one of those black dresses with shiny bits thrown on to it!

The new A6 is the same kind of touch interface as the Golf for all that. Both **** for real world usability.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
320i touring for me.

1613055399084.png

56oval

RMS Regular
The new A6 is the same kind of touch interface as the Golf for all that. Both **** for real world usability.
You don't in the A4 😉

I just did my first long commute in the A4 and I've got to say hands down the best car we've had, it's an A4 Avant b/e, 40tfsi and it's a brilliant car to do the miles in. Nice and comfy, lovely cabin and plenty of gizmos. Some of the switchgear and equipment takes some getting used to but for a mile muncher it's awesome. Averaged 40mpg there on a good run which I thought wasn't bad at all. The 40 is pokey enough for every day, not rapid by any stretch but lovely spread of power that you don't have to wring its neck. I quite like short shifting with the flappy paddles 😂.

Brilliant alrounder. Big thumbs up from me

Last edited:

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
You don't in the A4 😉

Or the A3 interestingly. I thought it was unusual that out of the 4 Golf based cars in that segment, Audi went with physical ventilation controls and Seat/Skoda/VW are all touch. Wonder have they realised it was a crap idea. Same for the new e-tron GT, back to physical HVAC.

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
If the M135i was still RWD I'd have said go for that but because it's now 4WD I reckon it will feel boring and as such the Golf will feel faster and be more fun to chuck around but still be comfortable for everyday driving too.

Crxpete

RMS Regular
OP
Crxpete
Drives
R55 MCS, SQ5
Do you not have to pay bik if you work from home ?
Apparently not, a few of the other engineers in my team have opted out of the personal usuage as they were getting crazy BIK bills.

I think I’m going to see if I can get a nosey around and see what the cabins and boot space is like in person before I pull the trigger on anything as it’s for the next 3 years I’ll have it

davyk31

RMS Regular
I would be very careful on your BIK thoughts as some of those cars will be very expensive if HMRC rule against you. Normally a car needs to be left at work premises to negate BiK. The fact your work is at home does help but they will need to be assured you do absolutely zero personal driving, not even a nip
To the shop! Regular travel to the same location can also have an perfect and cause issues. I would take good advice on it and not just what others are doing or saying, they maybe just haven’t been investigated yet. HMRC can give judgements on particular circumstances which would be well worth having on your file.

Crxpete

RMS Regular
OP
Crxpete
Drives
R55 MCS, SQ5
I would be very careful on your BIK thoughts as some of those cars will be very expensive if HMRC rule against you. Normally a car needs to be left at work premises to negate BiK. The fact your work is at home does help but they will need to be assured you do absolutely zero personal driving, not even a nip
To the shop! Regular travel to the same location can also have an perfect and cause issues. I would take good advice on it and not just what others are doing or saying, they maybe just haven’t been investigated yet. HMRC can give judgements on particular circumstances which would be well worth having on your file.
Yea I’ll maybe give HMRC and get some guidance, car will also have a tracker fitted and I need to submit mileage every month for every journey I’ve made.

My office is my house, main HQ is in London so can’t really leave the car there every night 🤣

I would maybe be in the same building for x1 week depending what equipment they have installed but it will be far from a permanent place of work