E36 M3 EV

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
grumpy cat no GIF by Internet Cat Video Festival

Gambit

RMS Regular
funny i was reading about Mate Rimac for the first time yesterday....and he had a EV e30 BMW called the Green monster he built in his garage at home

1613661977920.png

The E30 they call the "Green Monster" coaxes 600 horsepower and a bit over 650 pound-foot of torque from a 441 kWh motor. It goes from zero to 62 mph in 3.3 seconds and has a top speed of about 174 mph,

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
As a bloke that's spent the past year fiddling with weber carbs, fitting offroad tyres to a V8 Cayenne and turbocharging a 30 year old roller painted MX5; I don't find the idea of electrifying 'classic' cars as disgusting as I probably should.

There's a trade off of character and noise to the immediate and brutal power delivery of the electric motor. I get it. Men that wear Subaru jackets and polish their cars for Sunday runs with other men in Subaru jackets so that they can all buy expensive coffees and talk about Super Unleaded will guffaw and laugh and say how it should be reserved for commuting or fridge freezers or something.... but there's something in me that quietly thinks "that's actually class".

I'd quite like to try it out but it's expensive and complicated right now and my head's full of turbo and carburettor knowledge already. Maybe in future though. The big XJ6 would be a great thing on electric.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Agree @Coog for the most part.

I don't get too caught up in performance figures all the same, as theres a heck of a lot more to driving enjoyment than out and out speed. Some classic stuff is ideal for it too.

As for the e36, meh. Its an e36, even with a petrol engine I wouldnt be too interested.

As for the men in subaru jackets and expensive coffees. Absolutely nowhere near the level of the Porsche or Ford beards in terms of being outright tedious people šŸ˜‚

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I don't see a problem with it, as long as we aren't forced to do it. That there will be the option for petrol powered cars and you can electrify them IF you wanted to.

I see little appeal in max power output and brutal acceleration, they do little for me. I do crave aural stimulation a lot more, there is nothing like driving cross country with nice intake roar and a cheeky exhaust note, whether you have 50 or 500bhp.

The other bah humbug comment is manual gearboxes, in a commuter, I can see the sense in a auto but in anything fun. And I do mean fun, not fast, I prefer a fully manual gearbox.