My RB26 260Z Project

RevT

RMS Regular
It’ll be probably the best car on here IMO once it’s finished, unreal amount of work but it’s a keeper for life and it’ll be like ten times better than new.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
How come no work all summer?

Still great progress, these things take time. You don't want to do it again, ever.

Keep it up :cool:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Jesus wept, that’s so much work!

Fair play mate for putting so much into it, can’t wait to see it finished
Yes, its a crazy amount of work, I can't see it being under 550 hours by the time its complete but being optimistic that it won't get to as much as 600.

It’ll be probably the best car on here IMO once it’s finished, unreal amount of work but it’s a keeper for life and it’ll be like ten times better than new.
Well, obviously that would be a very subjective opinion but thanks. It will certainly be the best that I can make it and will be my dream come to life.

Certainly a keeper for life. My job plays havoc on having a relationship but if I ever settle down enough to get married and have children then it would likely the type of car to pass down once I can no longer drive it. Who knows what motoring will be like by then, but hopefully there will still be a way for people to run cars like these on a limited basis.

Its certainly going to be better than new as every area where it possible to improve upon has been, stiffer, stronger, lighter, better corrosion protection etc.

It's nearly more surprising the amount of old repairs that have been done before.
Yes and no, these cars rust really badly and most have had work done by this age, but I was never expecting this amount given that prior to this work anybody who saw the car would describe it as mint, a lot thought I was mad to be doing bare metal on it (I am mad of course, but for different reasons) but its the only way and I think I have proven that. Otherwise you could spend quite lot of money on a respray and then find problems several year down the line.

How come no work all summer?
They have been working on other customers cars. I have not been chasing, as much as I want it back asap so I can start rebuilding the costs are high and the delay gives more time to save.

On top of the costs of the resto I still have other costs to get back on the road, new bumpers, new windscreen, rebuild of the interior wiring including more tucking work in the bay, new winged baffled oil sump to design and build, possibly going to add an oil accumulator, new equal length downpipe to get built, ideally billet stainless adaptors need made to get a smooth transition for the air from the intake pipes to the turbo inlets. Due to the chassis rails being lengthened and joined to the rear sub frame I now need a new anti roll bar setup for the rear and I need new wheels. I will be feeling the pinch from this project for all of next year also.

You don't want to do it again, ever.
That is for absolutely certain.

Keep it up :cool:
No choice now, but I'm still highly motivated.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Back in the shop today, hopefully will be able to post a progress report in a week or two.

001_Back_In_Shop_-.jpg

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
As mentioned already this will be better than new when finished I really cant wait to see it done.

Dave and the team dont mess about there work is on an other level the Mk2 Golf they have just finished is something else.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
As mentioned already this will be better than new when finished I really cant wait to see it done.
Absolutely. Better finished, stiffer and with a lot better corrosion protection.

Dave and the team dont mess about there work is on an other level the Mk2 Golf they have just finished is something else.
The sure don't. I've never seen anything leave them short of perfect.

Still to be done:

Driver side minor crash damage repair. Replace inner/outer bonnet hinge panel
Replace part of the pass side bonnet hinge panel due to rust
Few minor mods to the engine bay
Rebuild/replace rear slam panel and surrounding area
Fit the new rear quarter panels
Replace rear lower panel
Various minor repairs around the rear areas of the car
Some stitch welding work
Repair the doors
Replace lower section of drivers side wing.

After all this it should then be on to the bodywork stage.

Still quite a scary list.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It still needs to be painted and trimmed, and all suspension and transmission and engine and all that rebuilt/refurbished and put back in, etc.

Fair play, I know what this car means to you. If we sat down and totted up what we've spent on our cars over the years it would be a terrifying number 🤫 At least you create something unique.

You only live once, whatever makes you happy (y)

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Serious hours, but it will be worth it.. are restoshack painting it and building It after?
Its not worth it from a logical viewpoint, but from all others I consider it is.

I will receive a fully painted and sealed rolling shell from Resto Shack Then its over to me.

Glad I read that wrong.
Me too.

It still needs to be painted and trimmed, and all suspension and transmission and engine and all that rebuilt/refurbished and put back in, etc.
After the painting though it won't cost me anything other than my time.

Fair play, I know what this car means to you. If we sat down and totted up what we've spent on our cars over the years it would be a terrifying number 🤫 At least you create something unique.
What else is money for if not to chase after your dreams and do what gives you passion. Or you could end up like some of the Billionaires I've worked for where all they want is more money and worry about spending it despite having more than you could use in a lifetime. Trust me, most of us on here are richer in life than some of them.

I know to the exact penny what this has cost me since I bought it. Let just say its a lot. I've basically built a car from the ground up using uprated and custom parts, it was never going to be cheap. Thought I never ever imagined it would cost even half of what it will have by the time its done.

For a laugh I still keep track of how much over my original budget for everything relating to the engine swap part of the build. Its now £12,300 over my initial budget that I set at the planning stage. Originally I had planned on stock engine, stock wiring harness and off the shelf intercooler and radiator etc. But then I decided I want to do everything as properly as possible.

Not really much to add to that now though, accusump, improved oil sump, custom equal length downpipe and intake pipe improvements will see that done for a long time. Many years down the line I may plan for some upgrades, we shall see.

Last edited:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
You’ll have one of the best 260Zs in the world once it’s finished, which is worth the investment alone.
Thanks, it will be my perfect 260Z. Won't be the fastest, or the craziest, but that wasn't what I was going for. Pretty the result of my dreams and obsessing over details brought to life.

Love it, we need to get out for a drive :laughing:
Once its back on the road I want to go on as many drives as possible. There are several cars on here I would like to experience, would be good to arrange a get together where we can try out each others cars, from the passenger seat.

Wow this is an awesome build!! Great work!
Appreciate it.