GOLF G60

Tufty

RMS Regular
OP
Tufty
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Ive a thing for the colour the car was but at the same time it might look out of place carbon and orange. I have exhausted all avenues in looking for carbon rear 1/4 panels a friend in england has them but wont sell or let me take a mould of them.

I too often wondered were your`s has went It turned out real nice and I was gutted when you sold it.. my brother just sold his blue shell and it went to Belfast i thought you might have bought it to build an other.

Really deep black with the carbon bits would look unreal

I always wonder where my mk2 is after reading this!!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I think carbon and orange would look great. Bit of contrast, lets each stand out, and the car pop. Black with black, they'd just blend together...

Saves you another paint job too.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
IMO Carbon, wings, trims, mirrors, roof, etc. all look great, even in some cases a carbon bonnet. But if you have random bits of carbon like the doors sticking out to me it looks awful unless its matched with a similar shade of paint. Please tell me you plan to paint the doors if you go orange.

Tufty

RMS Regular
OP
Tufty
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
@EF Ian ive been toying with the idea of painting the outside only and leaving the inside carbon. I want to show the carbon off but I don’t want the car looking like a patch work quilt.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
@EF Ian ive been toying with the idea of painting the outside only and leaving the inside carbon. I want to show the carbon off but I don’t want the car looking like a patch work quilt.
My thoughts exactly, select areas that can stay carbon without just having random carbon panels all over the place, and of course show the carbon roof off because it doesn't clash with other panels. Evos look great with carbon trim and accessories for example.

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Ive a thing for the colour the car was but at the same time it might look out of place carbon and orange. I have exhausted all avenues in looking for carbon rear 1/4 panels a friend in england has them but wont sell or let me take a mould of them.

I too often wondered were your`s has went It turned out real nice and I was gutted when you sold it.. my brother just sold his blue shell and it went to Belfast i thought you might have bought it to build an other.

Yea it ended up in Kent in England. Always check for tax and insurance and think its sorn. To scared to ask on the forms if anyone knows where it is 😂.

When do you hope to have yours painted?

Tufty

RMS Regular
OP
Tufty
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
It’s knowing what to paint and what not to paint. I agree the roof would be ok to leave as is but do I paint both boot and bonnet. I have been going over and over in my head about it but can’t work it out.

My thoughts exactly, select areas that can stay carbon without just having random carbon panels all over the place, and of course show the carbon roof off because it doesn't clash with other panels. Evos look great with carbon trim and accessories for example.

I’m hoping early new year for paint but I need to work out what I want painted and what colours.

Yea it ended up in Kent in England. Always check for tax and insurance and think its sorn. To scared to ask on the forms if anyone knows where it is 😂.

When do you hope to have yours painted?

I had planed to paint the bay a different colour to the outside of the car but then I think there is to much going on.

2147B0BA-6DD2-444D-B1BA-AF6B7FD268C8.jpeg

23BF7977-B974-456E-BA38-3413DD2155C2.jpeg

A8FDDF0E-371D-4561-830A-9017D9F94248.jpeg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
It’s knowing what to paint and what not to paint. I agree the roof would be ok to leave as is but do I paint both boot and bonnet. I have been going over and over in my head about it but can’t work it out.
Its your car, so you'll just have to work it out. For me though, I'd paint the boot and the doors, leave the accessories and trim, and the roof. The bonnet I would probably test it on once the car is painted to decide. Doing this on mine confirmed that I wanted to have the bonnet painted. I left it bare carbon on the inside though.

I also believe that you don't need the bay to be a different colour, you have enough awesomeness going on without needed that, might only distract from the awesomeness.

Last edited:

Tufty

RMS Regular
OP
Tufty
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Yesterday evening I got the call to come and collect the Golf from the Bodyshop as it was ready to be collected. It was left with a friend who kindly fixed the rear arch’s as had made a balls of them and also he fix the rear panel so that the bumper sits right. So we got it on his ambulance and I sat off home around 5 mile journey. Then some three mile into the journey I noticed a lot of smoke coming from the right rear wheel and thought Oh No…so i pulled over to check the wheel and it wasn’t moving freely so at this point we knew there was a problem. I had two miles to do until i got home so off we went moving very slowly the wheel was freeing up then locking up and once we where on the home straight I seen the rear wheel pass me on the road and at this point **** got real lol. Thankfully there is no damage to the car as it fell on the rear beam I was only doing around 15mph when it happened. Any how I made a phone call to a friend who came to my aid and picked it up with his recovery truck.

9C9FE4CC-E140-43D3-970F-420948C46DA8.jpeg

8441D5B9-33DE-4245-B0D9-525EA1A3FAE4.jpeg
28CDF5FE-9CE5-45F4-BD0D-0E64F3D8FA0C.jpeg
17D97882-CEC8-4B86-8D36-7DD4E41F648D.jpeg
6DFFE37F-7BB7-46BE-80A3-BDEE2AB19338.jpeg

So now it’s home I will get stuck into replacing both rear bearings again only this time they will be done right. I have a list of stuff to be made and a list of stuff I still need to buy so I will be focusing on this over the next few weeks. I’m hoping to have the car wired with in the next few weeks and I will do a full dry fit of everything so once back from
Paint it’s a matter of fitting everything.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That's bad luck. At least just a bearing, probably seized up from being sat laid up for so long?

Lucky the car wasn't damaged. Or the wheel hit oncoming traffic 🤫

Onwards and up.

Tufty

RMS Regular
OP
Tufty
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
That's bad luck. At least just a bearing, probably seized up from being sat laid up for so long?

Lucky the car wasn't damaged. Or the wheel hit oncoming traffic 🤫

Onwards and up.

I think I over tightened it at the time and no doubt it laying up didn’t help either. So I will strip both out and go down the road of Polo bits.

Thankfully there was no cars coming my way when i seen it coming past my heart sank with panic but thankfully all is ok.

Tufty

RMS Regular
OP
Tufty
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Small update.

My eldest girl came to me the other day and asked me when am I going to finish the brown car in the Garage and it was at this point I decided to get things rolling again with it she is currently suffering from a brain tumor and she wants to see it finished like the me and the rest of the world also lol. So this week I've bought some bits to get the ball rolling and get the car back on all four wheels.. Big thanks to @natogreen16v for answering all my questions this week lol.

So I've ordered some Polo hubs,S4 Disc's, bearings and already have the Mk4 Calipers so this should allow me to get the car back on its wheels. I plan on doing a dry build this time round before paint so when painted its a matter of bolting it all in and that should be us. How ever i still need to work out what seats I want and might scale back on the carbon bits until the car is up and running as it will give me something to change down the line.

Last edited:

Tufty

RMS Regular
OP
Tufty
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
When it comes to painting the car I’ve absolutely no idea what i wanna do. I know I’ve mentioned it before but part of me wants to keep the carbon but part of me doesn’t as i feel it would look crap so ive been exploring ideas.

So I messed about on Forza for A few hours to try help but its not working out lol.

15F73B3D-98F7-43CF-859D-5B292C053FE3.jpeg

09362C96-4A02-4699-924A-C19AFE1BC788.jpeg
134FAB59-A9B5-46D2-9D49-AC98919B0087.jpeg

Tufty

RMS Regular
OP
Tufty
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
@natogreen16v has fired some idea`s my way in regards to paint and I'm currently mulling over them. It might be a case of fit all the carbon bits before paint and make a decision at that point but that's all in front of me.

@pablo thanks a lot.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yes, sad about your daughter there. That's not good, hope she pulls through.

Paint wise - exposed carbon on body panels really works best if either everything is carbon or a few carbon details I think. Looks a bit strange with exposed carbon wings and other bits not... Just a symmetry thing I guess.

But also a shame to hide all that lovely carbon.

I do like the orange and black myself, just maybe not half and half like that...

Tricky one!

Or a transparent paint which will be orange but still show the carbon/weave?
Now that's an idea! Saw that on a BAC Mono the other day. Whole car painted green, but all carbon bits with the weave still showing through. It looked fantastic. Much better than part painted, part exposed.

Not a clue what kind of paint that is.