Tr7 V8 Fast Road/sprint/trackday Restoration Project.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Check with Kirkistown and see if they can let you on some time mid week for testing. Have a chat with Donal from Trackskills, he'll point you in the right direction.

You don't want to do testing on public roads, definitely not in built up areas. And definitely not without road tax.

Very hard to get a slot to test at Kirkistown at the moment - i spoke to Richard Young who runs the Circuit not along ago.

A big Private space would be ideal for what i need atm

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Very hard to get a slot to test at Kirkistown at the moment - i spoke to Richard Young who runs the Circuit not along ago.

A big Private space would be ideal for what i need atm
Have you thought of Bishopscourt, they allow private testing these days.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Or Nutts Corner circuit? Gone are the days of being able to hire it for £30 from the council unfortunately.

Reactions: IL

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I'm having it out with DVLA over getting the car taxed.. So i have had to tax it via the post with all the supporting documentation which takes 6-10 weeks.

Was it on a current V5 ?

I did recently change mine to "Historic" for free tax, although mine was a renewal from paid tax, and car is always MOT'd which I guess makes it all go smoother.

First petrol station/post office I went to didn't have a clue though. Second one had it done in a few seconds, then the DVLA send out a new V5 with it marked as historic tax

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Was it on a current V5 ?

I did recently change mine to "Historic" for free tax, although mine was a renewal from paid tax, and car is always MOT'd which I guess makes it all go smoother.

First petrol station/post office I went to didn't have a clue though. Second one had it done in a few seconds, then the DVLA send out a new V5 with it marked as historic tax

Yeah, its on a New V5, i had that row with them about 5 years to get the Car & Plate resurrected after Swansea took over from Coleraine and Binned a stack of files...

This time its as simple as the computer says No in the 4 post offices i went to.

DVLA say its due to the car having no current MOT - but i am lodging for tax with a V112 for MOT Exception

Also there is a Typo in the Chassis number - they have inputted a J instead of a U so that has to also be edited and photos of chassis stamps sent off too with the Tax Application.

Bring back the Motor Tax office where people actually know their job and you don't just get passed off to the Live chat Web Bot

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Web bots should be banned, on pain of death! Whoever came up with those wretched things should be forced to spend the rest of their life in solitary confinement, only interacting with those hateful things :mad:

It's a catch 22, had similar problems twice this year.

If you can correct one thing at a time then that's easiest, they're easily confused in Swansea!

For example, get the tax situating cleared up first. Then sort out MoT. And then correct the chassis number at the end.

Or get the MoT first, or whichever other order works in your case.

I corrected a chassis number the other week. Photo of chassis plate, and highlight the offending letter. Sent in with V5 and had it back corrected in about ten days. Easy when everything else is in place. Getting the other stuff lined up is the hard bit!

By the way, regarding testing. There's a trackday on Sunday at Kirkistown. Have a word with Donal and see if you can work something out?

Statler

RMS Regular
Drives
Slowly ;-)
This is interesting to follow as we're just about to tax the Midget into historic class after 20 years on SORN.
They did a similar thing on the move to Swansea and binned the car's details, then tried to fine me for not registering SORN. A solicitor's letter and ALL the previous SORN acknowledgement letters put that to bed, but it took for ever to sort out, with no apology.

It hasn't had an MOT since 1994 and I'd planned to just try the class change with the V112 first, not sure if that requires an MOT?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Have to watch this as I've a 1974 car that I got a new V5 for from Coleraine just before they were closed. Sounds like a right ballix now. 8-(

Andy55

RMS Regular
Yeah, its on a New V5, i had that row with them about 5 years to get the Car & Plate resurrected after Swansea took over from Coleraine and Binned a stack of files...

This time its as simple as the computer says No in the 4 post offices i went to.

DVLA say its due to the car having no current MOT - but i am lodging for tax with a V112 for MOT Exception

Also there is a Typo in the Chassis number - they have inputted a J instead of a U so that has to also be edited and photos of chassis stamps sent off too with the Tax Application.

Bring back the Motor Tax office where people actually know their job and you don't just get passed off to the Live chat Web Bot
Good to see I'm not the only one having issues getting the tax class updated. I've been in the post office 3 times with my V5 trying to get it changed to historic. Each time they scan it and it errors on them.
Phoned the DVLA last night and they say all looks fine to them and can't see any reason that it shouldn't have gone through.
They told me to fill in the new tax class on the tax book as 'Historic', sign it and send it off with the insurance certificate and V112.

The only thing I can think of that might be making it fail is it has been without MOT for 2 years but the way it is worded it appears it requires either a valid mot OR V112.
Sent it all off today so the wait has started.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Best to tick all the boxes, something missing and the system gets confused even if that thing might not be strictly necessary... Once through to DVLA they're usually helpful, the hard bit is getting through.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Hi Folks,

Sorry I cannot advise any further on the Historic Tax and MOT Exemption at the moment, I decided not to send my letter to DVLA and had the car MOT'd as that was the quickest route for me to get using the car before the winter fully sets in.

MOT Status.jpg

Now its Fully Road Legal I will start the process of having the V5 amended & claim the Historic status early next year when I am in no rush (y)

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
They'd be afraid that the vibrations would damage the batteries in their EV :heart_eyes:

• Haha

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Probably the easiest way forward, sort out one thing at a time. All good for now, have fun :cool:

Fixes the "testing" problem too :innocent: 😁

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Hi Folks,

Sorry I cannot advise any further on the Historic Tax and MOT Exemption at the moment, I decided not to send my letter to DVLA and had the car MOT'd as that was the quickest route for me to get using the car before the winter fully sets in.

View attachment 338987

Now its Fully Road Legal I will start the process of having the V5 amended & claim the Historic status early next year when I am in no rush (y)

Mine is always taxed and MOT'd, tax was due via reminder, and ( the second ) local petrol station/post office was able to sort it to historic in a few seconds. They kept the tax book and the new one arrived in a couple of weeks.

If you've paid for the tax, I'd guess you could now do what I did and they might refund the tax ?

edit...

At March 1982, you're not due historic yet anyway ? It'll be 2023 before you are ?

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
At March 1982, you're not due historic yet anyway ? It'll be 2023 before you are ?

You can claim MOT & Tax exemption from the date the car was built rather than registered if you proof of this.

The TR was built in May 1981 but not registered until March 1982.. so it is currently MOT Exempt and Tax Exempt as of April '22.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Is what I’m seeing Facebook real? 😮

Yep! I've had a suprising amount of interest in it too.. in various configurations.

6964E86B-5CEB-48ED-909A-09211F261804.jpeg

If it doesnt make enough to put me straight into a Porsche 991 then it is going no where! 😎

Running and Using one race car is Enough for any man - I have decided this one is my keeper...

4848683C-A011-4C74-8E72-9AAC80DC6D32.jpeg

Last edited: