Mechanic to Replace Turbo?

ViperGRM

RMS Regular
OP
ViperGRM
Drives
Mazda 6 2.2D
I've actually been keeping a close eye on my DPF regens and they occur every 150 miles or so which is just about perfect according to Mazda.

I live in the country a bit and my average speed is certainly a lot higher than if I was still living in Belfast. I guess this helps to avoid DPF issues, touch wood!

ViperGRM

RMS Regular
OP
ViperGRM
Drives
Mazda 6 2.2D
This one was a 2011 car
That'll be the last gen MZR diesels I think which were Ford made. The newer Skyactiv diesels are Mazda built from 2013. They still have some silly issues but I don't think to the same extent as the previous gen.

Gambit

RMS Regular
fair enough but a quick google of 2014 skyactiv issues isnt exactly pleasent reading - i wouldnt touch a diesel mazda with a barge pole, nor a lexus one - lexus actually gave up on diesels as they where that much of a cluster**** for them

ViperGRM

RMS Regular
OP
ViperGRM
Drives
Mazda 6 2.2D
fair enough but a quick google of 2014 skyactiv issues isnt exactly pleasent reading - i wouldnt touch a diesel mazda with a barge pole, nor a lexus one - lexus actually gave up on diesels as they where that much of a cluster**** for them
No it certainly isn't pleasant reading, but then again you are likely to find dirt on virtually any diesel engine via search. The one glaring flaw I can find with the Skyactiv diesels is the wearing out injector seals. They do seem to be the root cause of most of the oil pressure issues. Mine apparently are OK, but I'm going to ask the mechanic swapping the turbo to replace these again anyway just to be absolutely sure.

I didn't know Lexus diesels were so bad. I nearly bought one last year! I actually ended up buying another Mazda (3) diesel and touch wood, it has not caused any issues.

Personally speaking, I don't think anyone who only does short trips all the time should be using a diesel. They need a lot more TLC versus a petrol.

ViperGRM

RMS Regular
OP
ViperGRM
Drives
Mazda 6 2.2D
***Update***

I got my car back yesterday with the turbo fitted and all is well at the moment. It took longer than originally intended, thanks to yet another occurance of 'low oil pressure' on my car. This was supposed to be fixed last year. Anyway, turns out that the issue was caused by corroded injector washers which was allowing too much air into the oil, causing it to harden and block the strainer. The last garage with me assured me it wasn't the injector seals, despite me asking them repeatedly to check them. Two of my injectors were seized but the mechanic was able to get them off without breaking them. The washers/seals have all been replaced with new design ones that apparently aren't prone to this faut.

He replaced the turbo, oil/oil filter and strainer, all for less than £500. I'm well pleased with the work he did. He's an experienced Mazda mechanic having worked for them for over 30 years, so he certainly gives me confidence that the oil pressure issue is now resolved. FYI - I bought a reconditioned turbo charger off a place called Vehiclo Ltd. They sent a full diagnostic and balancing report with it and it was in superb condition when I got it with all new bolts and gaskets etc. The turbo itself has a 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty.

I'll post another update in a few months and by then hopefully everything is still going well. Cheers!

ViperGRM

RMS Regular
OP
ViperGRM
Drives
Mazda 6 2.2D
5,200+ milles since the turbo and injector seals were replaced. All is well.

Summary: If you have a low oil pressure issue with this engine, replace the injector seals! They're about 6 quid plus fitting. If your mechanic tells you it's not the injector seals. Find a new mechanic! This has cost me a small fortune not doing this.

jimboger1

RMS Member
Drives
mazda cx5
5,200+ milles since the turbo and injector seals were replaced. All is well.

Summary: If you have a low oil pressure issue with this engine, replace the injector seals! They're about 6 quid plus fitting. If your mechanic tells you it's not the injector seals. Find a new mechanic! This has cost me a small fortune not doing this.
hi, wonder if you can give me the details of the guy who did your repair?

ViperGRM

RMS Regular
OP
ViperGRM
Drives
Mazda 6 2.2D
hi, wonder if you can give me the details of the guy who did your repair?
Sure! I'll PM you his number. Not sure if it's his private number so won't post on the forum just incase.
11,000+ miles and no issues whatsoever with oil pressure again. Without any doubt, it was the corroded injector seals.

jimboger1

RMS Member
Drives
mazda cx5
Sure! I'll PM you his number. Not sure if it's his private number so won't post on the forum just incase.
11,000+ miles and no issues whatsoever with oil pressure again. Without any doubt, it was the corroded injector seals.
ive done the injector seals, cleared out the sump etc. but its the small turbo now

ViperGRM

RMS Regular
OP
ViperGRM
Drives
Mazda 6 2.2D
ive done the injector seals, cleared out the sump etc. but its the small turbo now
Flip sake! It was the small turbo on mine too. Ended up needing to replace it. Theres a guy near Wilbert who does fill professional turbo restores. I would have gone with him but it takes several days and I couldn't do without the car that long, so I bought a professionally refurbished one off Ebay at a decent price. Wilbert did the work and it's been great since. That was about a year ago.

liver1874

Drives
Mazda 6
Hi I know this was last year but I've recently had a problem with my mazda and mechanic is now saying the small turbo as ceased up, and quoting 2.5k+ vat to replace.
Can I ask where you managed to get a turbo for 500 please and as it sorted out your problems

Thanks

jimboger1

RMS Member
Drives
mazda cx5
Hi, just make sure that it IS the small turbo. I almost spent a lot on a new turbo for mine - spoke to the guy in Ireland and he advised it was probably a sensor as it was an intermittent fault
I have the guys number somewhere
Jim

liver1874

Drives
Mazda 6
OK thank you. The garage have taken it off to inspect it apparently and said its completely ceased up. But getting a 2nd opinion as 2 guys at same garage told me 2 different things