Selling Car to the South

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
What did you do in the end @Burt2000?

I sold the A6 to a guy from Dublin on Saturday and when the V5 comes through with the old reg I've to post it off to him. He said about posting the full thing, but what way does that leave me? How do I declare that I don't own it any longer?

I just gave him the tax book and took it as being exported. Then Swansea started sending us letters saying it was out of tax even though we had sent them confirmation that the car was sold. So he sent me back the tax book and we posted it to Swansea with a letter saying it was sold to the south and here are his details. Haven't heard anything since.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
On a related note, I got the reg onto retention on Thursday night and the new V5 came through the door on Saturday morning. Couldn't be believe it!

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Yeah seem to be very quick at getting V5's out at the minute, bought an A4 on Tuesday, had V5 in my name on Friday!

k20_chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything Boring
In relation to the V5 just send the slip away stating that the car has been sold/exported.
It's a ballache for us down South when we go to VRT the car and the previous owner wouldn't hand over the V5, it means applying Export Certificate, can take up to 4 weeks for this to come!!

Regards money, cash is the only way. A bank transfer from south to north bank can take 4 days because it's outside Ireland.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Do the change of ownership online, there are options to say you have sold it to the trade/private/export just like the book options.

They will then tell you that you can get rid of the book but you can just send it to him

I just went to fill the aforementioned online form in and it seems to have changed since last night. There now doesn't appear to be the option of trade/private/export?!

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I just went to fill the aforementioned online form in and it seems to have changed since last night. There now doesn't appear to be the option of trade/private/export?!

No idea, it was there the last time I used it but that was a while ago

Dandy

RMS Regular
Drives
You can still fill out the v5 with a southern address and send it of, they'll get the v5 back in a few days.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
The guy that bought my car wants the whole V5 8-(.

Same as that @Lyons, I sold my blade to the south, guy said the southern dva or whatever they are called need the whole thing. I made 2 photocopies of it signed and sent him on his way. As a matter of course I also filled in the form online to say I had sold it. Got the slip saying I was no longer the owner a few weeks later. No issues.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
That's what I was going to do, but the export issue seems to have vanished online and I cant enter his details via the "sold to private" option as he doesn't have a post code.

Will just phone DVLA I think.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
No need to phone DVLA, all you do is fill in section 11 (actually blue, it used to be purple as far as I remember) and post it off to Swansea. All you need to do and the new keeper can take the main part of V5, done it before loads of times!

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
I also filled in the permanent export slip. I wouldn't panic about it tbh. I had no bother...I'm sure I wasn't a 1 off

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Bank Transfer only and only release it when the funds have been cleared in the account. Banker's Drafts are not worth the paper they are written on!!!

Where cash is concerned, there are a lot of dodgy notes going around in certain parts of the south and unless you check each note, you don't know what you could be getting.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Bank Transfer only and only release it when the funds have been cleared in the account. Banker's Drafts are not worth the paper they are written on!!!

Where cash is concerned, there are a lot of dodgy notes going around in certain parts of the south and unless you check each note, you don't know what you could be getting.

I took euros for the bike. Cashed them in at the Bureau De Change - they never yet checked them, just ran them through the counting machine and gave me sterlings!

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
He needs the entire V5 so it can be registered in the south. Just the same as we used to require the whole V5 when buying from England.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Ah, when you said the entire V5 initially I thought you meant including the export bit!

Reactions: AMG

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Just noticed I started this thread. The southern buyers ended up buying the car. Took them to the bank with the cash, bank counted it and lodged it, filled out the export bit and gave them the rest of the V5.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Bumping my own thread here. Have someone interested in the S3 (he’s checking VRT) so do I just go online and fill in the export part and give him the full V5?
I’m assuming bank transfer is the way to go for payment? Not sure I want this much cash to worry about