Dashcams and Dashcam Footage

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Firstly, Yes it does seem smart, rein yourself in Dr Phil.

If someone genuinely just drives up behind me and is looking to overtake i'd happily pull over, but when you can tell it some wee smicker acting a c*nt and flashing the lights giving hand gestures etc, i'll happily sit in front of them. There has been plenty of occasions i have been in a rush, including to get to a hospital that i dont drive up peoples holws flashing and flipping them off

You're as big a **** as the person trying to get past then.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
I've met a few drivers on the road lately doing well under the limit in a single lane road or the outside lane on a dual carriageway. I always think, just because you're not in a rush, doesn't mean the person behind isn't. It's selfish, inconsiderate and annoys the crap out of me.

I often want to do this... (from about 1:55ish)

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
On a motorway, I can understand the annoyance especially if the overtaking lanes are being used incorrectly.

But single lane A and B roads, the same attitude puzzles me. Firstly (and not everyone on here will see this), speed limits are not targets. If you find someone doing 50 in a 60 for example, that's their perogative. They may be early for whatever they are going to, they may be attempting to consume less fuel with prices being so high, who knows. So long as they aren't excessively slow (e.g. 25mph in a 60), then they are perfectly within their rights to carry on as they are.

If you find yourself in a rush, that's on you, not the cars in front.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
My driving instructor taught me if you have the speed use it. I'm not talking thay many years ago either. I was sitting doing less than 40 odd he asked me why I was sitting so much under the limit. Simply put if you can do so in a safe and controlled manner drive at the limit.

If you do any sort of miles slow drivers can cripple your time spent on the road. Everyone can drive at whatever speed they like but when you constantly meet drivers 20+ mph under the limits or coasting driving which is the worst imo it can really knock the time on.

thomas_lad

RMS Regular
You're as big a **** as the person trying to get past then.
yep pretty much lowering myself to their level, i love it
If you aren't turning right or overtaking someone yourself, you shouldn't be in the right lane and this should never ever happen.
Oh im aways driving fast enough to be overtaking someone, but just not fast enough for them wanting to blast past me at 100 in their aygo with r plates. dont hog the overtaking lane

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
On a motorway, I can understand the annoyance especially if the overtaking lanes are being used incorrectly.

But single lane A and B roads, the same attitude puzzles me. Firstly (and not everyone on here will see this), speed limits are not targets. If you find someone doing 50 in a 60 for example, that's their perogative. They may be early for whatever they are going to, they may be attempting to consume less fuel with prices being so high, who knows. So long as they aren't excessively slow (e.g. 25mph in a 60), then they are perfectly within their rights to carry on as they are.

I remedy this, usually by staying in L1 that's near empty. It doesn't = "overtaking on the left" and is usually flowing better as other lanes "congested"

Would argue in court all day long.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I remedy this, usually by staying in L1 that's near empty. It doesn't = "overtaking on the left" and is usually flowing better as other lanes "congested"

Would argue in court all day long.
Same with me. The m2 northbound after fortwilliam to sandyknowles is wild for this. Apart from the odd lorry in L1, I rarely have to move out of it on the way home.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Inconsiderate driving and being a p***k works both ways. And either can encourage dangerous actions...and lead to you getting tangled up in them.
If someone clearly wants past, don't be a self righteous **** and just let them past.
Then in a few seconds they're gone, everyone's happy.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Inconsiderate driving and being a p***k works both ways. And either can encourage dangerous actions...and lead to you getting tangled up in them.
If someone clearly wants past, don't be a self righteous **** and just let them past.
Then in a few seconds they're gone, everyone's happy.
Not sure where that came from. I never said the driver in front should hold up the driver behind, just that someone driving at their own pace (within reason) doesn't deserve to be hounded by someone less patient behind them.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Not sure where that came from. I never said the driver in front should hold up the driver behind, just that someone driving at their own pace (within reason) doesn't deserve to be hounded by someone less patient behind them.

I was just quoting the example you gave, it was not directed at you. Much in line with what Rigger posted. It may have absolutely nothing to do with patience.

When my mum had her stroke ( and died hours later ), because the ambulance service was fcking useless and couldn't even give an ETA, I managed to get her into the car and rushed to the hospital. In all honestly if someone had got in my way, they would have been pushed out of the way. That was nothing to do with patience, but absolute need.

Just let people past, no need to be a **** as firstly it gets them away from you, but they may have good reasons.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
That's fair enough, dude. Thanks for clarifying. Sorry to hear about your mum.

For what it's worth, I'm the sort to just get on with my own journey. If I see someone behind me at a quicker pace, I will slow up slightly on a straight in the hope they will overtake.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Reasons above are well stated, and sorry to anyone who's lost a family member through similar circumstances. Same goes for trying your best to get an injured friend or family member to hospital.

Another reason to put 'Keep left' reminder signs on lamp posts etc. Some of the drivers I see are almost comatose with no situational awareness of what's going on around them in the slightest. I also had this confirmed on a speed awareness course - the instructor said that some study or another; most drivers who commute to work switch off after 15 mins in a 1 hour drive. To be honest, I find this horrific - a kid in Bangor got killed a few years ago by someone driving at 5mph. What is a 1.5t car going to do at 60mph, if you're not paying attention? Carnage. So even just a reminder sign to drivers on 'autopilot' to keep left might be a good thing.

"Now that you've passed your test, you'll really start learning to drive" was what my instructor said to me years ago after passing my test.
Didn't know what he meant at the time, but I do now. The test is only a minimum standards test. Which might be why we have so many muppets on the road.

One of the reasons I think we should have a retest every 5 years.

Consideration for other drivers seems to be a thing of the past.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Got to love these self righteous road warriors 😂

See them all the time swinging out into filter lanes to stop people merging like a zip. Same ones operating the rolling road blocks because they think you’re going too fast. Was one at a speed awareness course I was on years ago and the attitude was staggering.

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
Often wonder why we don’t simply put a ‘merge in turn’ sign below a lane closure. I’m on our annual visit to Bournemouth and there’s a section coming off a roundabout that brings 2 lanes into 1. ‘Merge in turn’ on it and everyone does and the road flows.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Got to love these self righteous road warriors 😂

See them all the time swinging out into filter lanes to stop people merging like a zip. Same ones operating the rolling road blocks because they think you’re going too fast. Was one at a speed awareness course I was on years ago and the attitude was staggering.
What got me was the instructor asking what you should do on a country road when someone comes up obviously going faster - or wanting to.

Do you speed up?

Lady on the course said that she would carry on and not let them past.

Instructor said she was right - and she is in the eyes of the law.

I asked why not just pull over for 5 seconds - and let them past. Gets them off your bumper and you can concentrate on the road ahead not on your rear view mirror.

He conceded that it was a valid point to be fair - but I was more puzzled that an advanced driving instructor would say to carry on and not let them past.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
To be honest, I find this horrific - a kid in Bangor got killed a few years ago by someone driving at 5mph.

Which yet again is another example of speed not being the main problem. It's simply blind morons

Although in a lot of cases with children, their absolute lack of attention is often the danger and may never be mitigated, but just re-enforces that a lack of attention all round is the single biggest danger on the roads.
Often wonder why we don’t simply put a ‘merge in turn’ sign below a lane closure. I’m on our annual visit to Bournemouth and there’s a section coming off a roundabout that brings 2 lanes into 1. ‘Merge in turn’ on it and everyone does and the road flows.

I've never seen any such road works flow. I've been stuck for hours in roadworks in England, they never flow ! Flow to me is smooth and not stopping. All roadworks over there involve stopping for ages ! lol And never a road worker in sight.

big cyril

RMS Regular
I think a fair proportion of drivers (subconsciously or otherwise) see an element of competition in their decisions on the road. Ie they simply do not want the other driver getting ahead, whether it’s the guy who sits in the overtaking lane on the dual carriageway for ages with nothing in the left lane or the guy who beeps and flashes the lights in response to a safe overtake or the anger at the person who has used the merge in turn correctly. We see it all the time and probably many of us do it.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
I would rather not have some random unpredictable road user try to help me overtake, I don't need help and it'll be solely my decision when it happens. If anything, maintaining current speed and holding road position is more useful

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
What got me was the instructor asking what you should do on a country road when someone comes up obviously going faster - or wanting to.

Do you speed up?

Lady on the course said that she would carry on and not let them past.

Instructor said she was right - and she is in the eyes of the law.

I asked why not just pull over for 5 seconds - and let them past. Gets them off your bumper and you can concentrate on the road ahead not on your rear view mirror.

He conceded that it was a valid point to be fair - but I was more puzzled that an advanced driving instructor would say to carry on and not let them past.

Not often it happens unless I’m towing and in that case I’ll continue on as normal. If whoever it is is driving like a bell and I’ve the kids with me I’ll pull in. Would never be one of the dads army types to hold someone up on the motorway or dual carriageway though.

carson555

RMS Regular
VW Golf R Estate: DG20 HYH

Coming back from Ballymena, Carnlough Road outside Broughshane, national speed limit. Line of traffic going between 40 - 45mph due to jeep with sheep trailer and a Mini with R plate in front of me. Golf R back of the line, overtook two cars to get behind me then proceeded to dangerously overtake twice; Firstly coming up to a blind right hander, and then past a pub with a blind crest to overtake the jeep with trailer and Mini.

I flashed and beeped when he overtook me as it was completely idiotic, and of course he brake checked me.

Absolute moron. If those three oncoming bikes had have been motoring on, would’ve been a different story.