Skyline R33 Spec2

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
For fuel injectors the best out there are Injector Dynamics and Asnu followed by Deatschwerks. 550 would be enough for 500HP

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
100% what @Eager has said. Once you approach 400 bhp it's gonna be time for rods, bearings, pistons, mls head gasket etc. Go 350/370 area and buy a proper good LSD and enjoy the driving experience. The STI injectors is definitely a great money saving tip. I'd also fit a fuel regulator. It's not all about numbers.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
An LSD alone would be money well spent if you don't have one already. Spend money on that, suspension, and brakes instead and stay sensible on power as @Eager said. Will be more reliable too, and easier to drive on real roads. Then just enjoy it.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
Appreciate the advice lads

Il check that out Dave 👍

It’s got decent suspension and brakes already.

It had a 2way diff in it once upon a time before I bought it, I contacted one of the previous owners and he said it was too unpredictable and removed it 😒

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
It had a 2way diff in it once upon a time before I bought it, I contacted one of the previous owners and he said it was too unpredictable and removed it 😒
Aggressive 2 way CLSDs are not that great in these on the road, and really dislike mini roundabouts. A nice 1.5 way streetable CLSD is great though. Love the OS Giken in my RB-Z.

You would want more headroom ideally. I maxed out 550cc at 500bhp
Yeah, if he were going for 500, but as he is not they are more than enough.

I find 1cc per hp+ 20% formula works well for me.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
The car passed Mot yesterday with no advisory’s but the mot guy Fec ked my clutch some how

Told him it’s a hard clutch and he nodded/didn’t care what I had to say…

He drove the car with bit of reving so didn’t konk out and on return he cruised round ok, had to stop for another car, went to move off again and looked like he was struggling and konked out due to struggling with the clutch. I thought nothing off it as most people struggle with the clutch at first being a stage 3. He gave up and ditched the car and I walked up to him.

He said passed no problem and walked away. I get in it and clutch is virtually on the floor, it popped up and when pressing again 95% travel it’s doing nothing until it’s basically on the floor. You can drive off without lifting foot of the ground and i got home Craigavon with it like that.

I checked the fluids there and then and all seemed ok.

The slave & master cylinder was all replaced when I got the gearbox rebuilt a while back, along with clutch fork etc etc the clutch and bearing was fine as wasn’t long in it before I bought it.

I was gona go over and ask the guy wtf but 8:45am and didn’t want the headache… just glad it passed and went on.

I’ve parked it up and haven’t went near it from yesterday.

Potential slave cyclinder issue you guys think? Or release bearing?

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
Clutch isn’t slipping and no funny noises, thought I put it under pressure to see if anything changed and lit up the back tyres lol

All works fine… the travel on clutch pedal and the way it is feels like something been pushed in too far and it’s struggling to hit the correct position if you get me

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Suppose it could be a lot of things. From something bent in the linkage, to fluid/hose/pipe, a broken cylinder, or even air in there somehow.

I doubt it was something he did to be honest. It probably just happened to break when he was driving the car.

Maybe something in the linkage didn't like the heavy clutch and had enough?

andy.

RMS Regular
Drives
MKVI GTI
It’s been a long time from I’ve been near a skyline, but have a look at the slave and make sure the bar hasn’t popped out and misaligned itself.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
The mighty liner is back home in its heated garage plugged into the life support charging machine lol

The mechanic bleed the clutch system and all is well again… he couldn’t find any reason why it happened, there’s no obvious leaks and everything seems fine. Weird.

Anyways… it’s parked up and I’m debating wether or not to go to town on it or not with paintwork and go faster mods.

With the price of everything currently and my wife going part time and mortgage etc possibly rocketing I’m on the fence if I should blow so much money on it at once with a sh it show coming ahead of us. Meh

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The clutch on my MX5 did as you described. Was fine then went to the floor and got jammed. Felt a bit weird & sticky then all of a sudden was OK. Replaced the slave cylinder, bled and all was good until a blast round Mondello a few months later when it put the release bearing through the pressure plate which pretty much annihilated everything inside the bell housing. So be careful 😂

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
There will be a reason why it happened, so just pay attention to start with at least. Don't worry too much as long as it feels fine. It's an old car, xxxx will happen. Don't worry too much or you'll never drive it, lol. Just fix it when it breaks and carry on.

As for go faster bits - it's an old car. It's a different game now. And lots of other xxxx going on at the moment as you say. Just leave it as is and enjoy it. Maybe a mild map or something if you must but don't go wild on her.

Paint might be a good investment, just depends what condition it's in. Again don't go wild and start pulling it all apart and all that. Just fix whatever needs fixing and keep enjoying it.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
With price of them increasing it’s better than money in the bank

Price an rb engine lol that’ll prob make up your mind about chasing power figures lol

Clean up the paint, have it sitting nice and a fun level of power etc and enjoy it.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
The mighty liner is back home in its heated garage plugged into the life support charging machine lol

The mechanic bleed the clutch system and all is well again… he couldn’t find any reason why it happened, there’s no obvious leaks and everything seems fine. Weird.

Anyways… it’s parked up and I’m debating wether or not to go to town on it or not with paintwork and go faster mods.

With the price of everything currently and my wife going part time and mortgage etc possibly rocketing I’m on the fence if I should blow so much money on it at once with a sh it show coming ahead of us. Meh

Let it sit as it is. At the moment it's costing you very little and you can enjoy it.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
One of my 200sx’s many moons ago had clutch behaviour just as you described. I never got to the bottom of it. It only done it twice from memory. I never fully investigated to point Of replacing parts but I did have it checked and nothing obvious was found.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
I think 350z/370z have a common problem with dodgy slaves.

the slave & master cylinders both replaced whilst getting gearbox freshly built along with new fork and oil.

If it happens again think I’ll change slave again maybe.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
Let me out to play!!! 😅
8AC9AA92-2FEF-490F-A057-C75D9A507992.jpeg

Not long after another full service, spark plugs changed & new battery etc ready for spring play time

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
45C19341-D0DF-486C-A514-0B75E0ECE6C6.jpeg

Since the car has been off the road with the bad weather etc I went about tidying up the engine bay.

I had flushed the coolant system and upgraded the radiator also as the old one had the tiniest of holes in it.

Might take it out this weekend and fill it up with 99ron and start to enjoy it again 😊

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Clean bay for a 33 at this stage. Assume it’s had a freshen up and towers done?
Looks well