CRX Del Sol - Overheated and doesnt start (B16a2)

Andymh5

RMS Member
Drives
A220/Del Sol
Hello all,

I took my CRX Del Sol to its first track day at Kirkistown last weekend (Trackskills) and had a ton of fun, until the CRX overheated and didn't want to start again.

It has a B16a2 engine with a P28 ecu.

During my first few sessions after driving it very hard I noticed some steam coming from the coolant bottle located on the left side of the radiator but didn't see it as a huge issue as the car temp gauge was in the middle of the dial and it still had water/coolant in it (nearly max level.) However, on my last run I noticed much more steam coming from the front as I was driving around and then saw that the temp gauge maxed out. I immediately put the car in neutral and pulled off the track into a safe location. The engine stopped when I put the car in neutral and wouldn't start again.

My buddy and I worked for about an hour to try and get it going again. We checked the spark plugs which and oil levels which all appeared fine. The car turned over but didn't start. We then decided to try and push started which worked but the engine sounded rough. I tried driving it home but after around a mile it overheated again (coolant still full). We forgot to check the radiator at the track but we checked after it overheated again and it was dry. We filled it with around 3 litres of water to try and get home but the CRX didn't want to start again.

My first thoughts are that it has either a faulty thermostat or water pump but this doesn't explain why it won't start.

I'm going to check its compression this Sat to rule out head damage but if anyone has any ideas on what could be wrong please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Con

RMS Regular
Drives
JDM Honda Del So
Drain all the fluids and flush.
Oil and coolant to see what state they are in

I had a blockage at lower radiator pipe, Rad (Original 1992 one) leaked aswell.
Flushed and new Rad was tip top magoo

Andymh5

RMS Member
OP
Andymh5
Drives
A220/Del Sol
Drain all the fluids and flush.
Oil and coolant to see what state they are in

I had a blockage at lower radiator pipe, Rad (Original 1992 one) leaked aswell.
Flushed and new Rad was tip top magoo
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. Would this also cause the engine not to start?

Andymh5

RMS Member
OP
Andymh5
Drives
A220/Del Sol
Cracked head gasket can be low compression which can mean no start

Price of a B16 nowadays is around £1k
Ooof

I hope it's a head gasket if it is a compression issue and not a damaged head, especially considering they're £1k.

Last edited:

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Does it overly pressurize the coolant hoses when it's running? Not good to see the gauge max out, though my Turbo MX5 done that a few times over the years for various reasons and never seemed to do it any harm. Some engines seem to brush it off and others don't

Worth noting, if coolant isn't reaching the temperature sensor, the engine could be much hotter than you think it is. Worthwhile investing in an oil temperature gauge for track use, they give a much better indication of temperature

dddrrift

RMS Regular
lack of compression id imagine... you have done the head gasket at a minimum, hopefully not warped the head. Unsure if these can take much of a skim

Andymh5

RMS Member
OP
Andymh5
Drives
A220/Del Sol
Does it overly pressurize the coolant hoses when it's running? Not good to see the gauge max out, though my Turbo MX5 done that a few times over the years for various reasons and never seemed to do it any harm. Some engines seem to brush it off and others don't

Worth noting, if coolant isn't reaching the temperature sensor, the engine could be much hotter than you think it is. Worthwhile investing in an oil temperature gauge for track use, they give a much better indication of temperature
I'm unsure if it pressurized the hoses, but I'll keep an eye out for them when I get it running again.

I appreciate the advice on getting an oil temperature gauge. I'll order one asap.
lack of compression id imagine... you have done the head gasket at a minimum, hopefully not warped the head. Unsure if these can take much of a skim
My buddy was thinking the same thing. I hope it isn't a warped head, especially after it only being my first time out in it 🤞

StephenDc2

RMS Regular
likely a head gasket issue if it over heated a few times

Personally I would lift the head, send it down to Maintech on the Cardy Road (between Carrowdore and Ballywalter). And ask for Phill, the machine shop used to be OD and Phill will pressure test clean and Skim the head for you.

Refit with a genuine Honda head gasket and torque to spec. Good service at the same time and hopefully its good after that

I had a b16a that pushed compression into the cooling jacket only when used on track, made the mistake of just changing the head gasket and it did the same. Head skim and a new gasket and it was perfect after.

Andymh5

RMS Member
OP
Andymh5
Drives
A220/Del Sol

Personally I would lift the head, send it down to Maintech on the Cardy Road (between Carrowdore and Ballywalter). And ask for Phill, the machine shop used to be OD and Phill will pressure test clean and Skim the head for you.

Refit with a genuine Honda head gasket and torque to spec. Good service at the same time and hopefully its good after that

I had a b16a that pushed compression into the cooling jacket only when used on track, made the mistake of just changing the head gasket and it did the same. Head skim and a new gasket and it was perfect after.
Thanks for the advice. I'll look into getting the head skimmed while it's off.

Andymh5

RMS Member
OP
Andymh5
Drives
A220/Del Sol
Hey, I've a small update. As you can see by the attached images, the head gasket appears to be the main culprit.
Cylinder 1
20230211_112343.jpg

Cylinder 2
20230211_112507.jpg

Cylinder 3
20230211_112614.jpg

Cylinder 4
20230211_112802.jpg

I'm going to remove the head this weekend and prep it before I fit all the new gaskets.

I appreciate everyone's help and advice here - Thank you

Ps. If any of you know where I can buy a cam cap (exhaust/vtec solenoid side) please let me know. There was a bolt missing on the bottom left of the valve cover and now I know why....
IMG-20230129-WA0004.jpeg

dddrrift

RMS Regular
think id have the head checked by a machine shop... clearly seen a lot of heat to blow on 3/4 cylinders. Place outside Carrowdore could sort it for you.

althebass

RMS Regular
Drives
Model A Ford

I’ve been happy with work Philip did on a Citroen DS head which I was working on.

Andymh5

RMS Member
OP
Andymh5
Drives
A220/Del Sol
Hey everyone. I'd like to thank you all for the help and advice on this.

I've a small update: Maintech pressure tested the head, skimmed it and replaced the valve seals. They did this in a couple of days which was fantastic.

I fitted the head and rebuilt everything. However, I pressure tested the engine and unfortunately cylinder no two is reading 75psi while the other three are 150psi. I'm not sure exactly what the issue could be but if any of you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Con

RMS Regular
Drives
JDM Honda Del So
It's been used properly at track day and abused when running with cooling issues.

New Block time

Find a B18 or Forged B16 bottom end on the 2nd hand market and put what you have together

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Try a table spoon of oil down the cylinder. Walls could be dry not allowing the rings to do their job. Wet test will also assist in diagnosing ring issues.
Or as said, could be any number of things.