TRIANGLE tyres, (yes i know)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

big cyril

RMS Regular
There's been quite a bit about tyre tests in various car magazines recently - the overall opinion seems to be not much difference in the dry but big differences on a wet surface.

Taz007

RMS Regular
Drives
E92
i currently have 2 18" triangles on my front wheels. they cost me 50 quid each in may.

i havent had any problems with them as im not one to rake about and esp in the wet i wouldnt even waste my time risking a loss of grip. if your goin to drive sensible then get them otherwise you may want somethin better.

ill check how they have worn in the morning

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Ive got Yellowsea, £54 each from street racer. Never again. Car handles like crap, and they are completely dangerous in the wet. Next time they need changed ill be buying good tyres.

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
triangle tyres are utter utter ****e mate.

i stuck them on the p1 rims for the scooby as i wanted to fire something on to get them on the car and i was skint, so far ive near ended up in about 6 hedges and about 3 cars due to zero grip.

excellent tyre for doing circles as you may as well be driving on plastic blocks.

and they are so soft i reckon they`ll last 3k miles before being scrap.

absolute pish but ive only myself t blame for being a cheap skate. toyo for me again in the future.

and i also got a damaged rim thrown in to the purchase for free.. cant say fairer than that now can you?

my advice is, fit the best tyre you can afford, and get them fitted by a PROPER tyre fitting business... like armstrong beattie, phillip white etc, one where people are actually trained to fit tyres, or your budget buy will turn into a nightmare if a rim is damaged.

i seriously wouldnt recommend anyone fitting triangles if they value their life

ally_mac

RMS Regular
Drives
05 Evo IX GT
No offence to anyone but I cant believe so many people drive around with sh*t tyres on, they are the only thing between you and the road. Even if you dont drive fast, there may come a time where you have to brake hard or swerve to avoid an accident and thats when you will really depend on your tyres

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I agree entirely with Ally_mac.

Even on my runabout cars, its always at least dunlops or the likes.

Even pulling out of a junction you can feel the difference.

Always bugs me to see ppl have got sparkley new wheels and the crappiest tyres possible on them.

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
i had continentals on two of my focus when i bought them and also on the fiesta the sport contact ones, they are definitly not a budget tyre costing over a £100 a corner but they have to be the worst tyre i have ever used it was like driving on a plastic skaeboard wheel in the wet cause it just slid around the corners,

paying the most doesnt always mean your getting the best, i have sport ones on the car at the minute and they have the same threadwear and temperature charateristics of a much more expensive tyre at half the cost.!!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I reckon I've done probably 200k miles

Quarter on good tyres, three quarters on 'sh*t' ones.

Had one accident on the sh*t tyres - silly speeds into a junction so doubtful anything would have helped and three accidents on good ones because I relied a bit too much on the grip available. Infact I had a big moment on expensive Yokohama's not too long ago because I thought they'd grip better than they did... a moment I deffo wouldn't have had if I was running Nankangs - because I wouldn't have been carrying the same kind of speed.

Think about the accidents you've actually had and the tyres you had on at the time...

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Well this is all very true, when I bought my Mondeo, it came with, crap I can't remember what their were, but I can remember they were standard fit on some AMG's and they were a bit sh*te. I ended up changing to *presumably* cheaper Dunlop Sport SP2's because I flat spotted all 4 trying not to hit a cow outside lisburn.

So all I can say, is once you find a tyre that you find acceptable /good, try and stick with that.

I had Yoko A539's on my golf, which i didn't like in the wet, changed to Toyo Proxies T1S, much better,
Now have Toyo Proxies T1R on the eunos, and when it comes to changing them, it will be the same tyre again.

So in a nutshell, I would stay stick to what you know......get tyres you thought were good in the past. (obviously more thought is required if you get a new car thats totally different eg. Micra 1.0 > Amg CL63)

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Even if you dont drive fast, there may come a time where you have to brake hard or swerve to avoid an accident and thats when you will really depend on your tyres

I came in to post this.

I have Federals on the BMW and they are awful in the wet. So bad in fact that I'm considering changing them even though theres 50% tread left.

avo5021

RMS Regular
On the note of Budget tyres, where i live on the Mainland there is a Pirelli factory that manufacturers tyres, i have a few mates there and they tell me that when a premium Pirelli tyre isnt selling too well in the market they continue to make the premium tyre but brand it as one of their Budget brands.

They then flood the market with their budget brand for considerable less pennies but in reality you are getting exactly the same tyre as you would have done when buying the premium model.

It would be interesting to see if other manufacturers do the same..

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I've heard this too Avo. Didn't know whether it was a load of rubbish or not so never said anything.

pablo

RMS Moderator
As an alternative to cheapos look for some partworns. PM gixerboy or look on ebay etc. Wont last as long sure but at least they will be decent.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Federals are indeed turd in the wet. I used to understeer at every corner that had the red chip asphalt surface... in the 306.

All cars in our family use Lassa from Central Tyres, and have never had any issues with grip etc.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
As an alternative to cheapos look for some partworns. PM gixerboy or look on ebay etc. Wont last as long sure but at least they will be decent.

No issues with side wall fatigue on part-worns from being pulled off and on rims?

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
the scoob had federals when i bought it, in fairness although **** in the wet they were predictible (sp?), i knew when the back would slide everytime, so there were fairly safe for a turd tyre.

the triangles are unbelievably turd, no consistency, no warning, just slide central mid corner.

i`d also highly recommend michelin pilot precedas.

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
Had some wick tyres in my time, and some reasonable ones too. The difference is like night and day. There are some sort of medicore tyres on the Audi but I'm scared to push it too much cause I'm a fruit. Gives the odd wee slide in the wet, will definately be investing in a set of good ones once these are done. Had Nangkings on the Golf and it slid and squeeled all over the show, then put on Potenza RE40s and they stuck all day long in the dry. For normal running about budget tyres are alright but I wouldn't like to be in a dodgy situation with them.

Bike tyres are a different matter completely, I'm a believer in buying the dearest tyres possible that you'll get a summer out of rather than hedgeseekers that'll do you for 10k miles.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
my advice is, fit the best tyre you can afford, and get them fitted by a PROPER tyre fitting business... like armstrong beattie, phillip white etc, one where people are actually trained to fit tyres, or your budget buy will turn into a nightmare if a rim is damaged.

i seriously wouldnt recommend anyone fitting triangles if they value their life

I would agree there. However, most established tyre fitting centres will also have their fair share of 18 year old part timers who have little or no training. I should know because I was one of them in my teens (not mentioning any names) and was given very minimal training.

My advice would be to get acquainted with an experienced fitter who has access to good equipment.

The new range of Corgi machines are great for fitting low profile tyres as they have a strong arm and most have an hydraulic aid that keeps continuous pressure on the bead of the tyre and thus relieves tension and the chance of a scored wheel.

There should NEVER be contact made between the machine of tyre lever and the wheel - just the tyre and that's the key really.

All cars in our family use Lassa from Central Tyres, and have never had any issues with grip etc.

Lassa are fantastic. We are the authorised mid ulster distributor for Lassa and they're our main brand.

As most people know, Lassa are owned and run by Bridgestone in Turkey and are simply the best mid range priced tyre there is.

Neill_S14

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan Silvia Sp
Here Gee what do u think of Roadchamps? PMSL

I swear my Silverstones are a good budget tyre which are very hard wearing i've found. Rears still have 4mm on them and i put them on in january. Although are a handfull in the wet.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.