Mercedes G Wagon - Does it warrant the ridiculous price tag?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Compared to even the best of the defenders they are light years ahead in terms of comfort and weatherproofing. Still, as much as I enjoy the odd trundle around in it, as @Odhran says, you wouldn't own one by accident.

karl7900

RMS Regular
Drives
Touareg 3.2 V6
Rather fond of them. Was one out with us offroading recently and it went absolutely everywhere. Pretty much unstoppable and made the defenders look like wee toys. It even made a rather special Nissan look a bit silly in places. This was a standard G-Wagen on mud tyres driven by someone that knows how to use it.

This one per chance? I was very impressed by it also. Took everything in it's stride.

IMG_0960.JPG

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Funny, you mention dup, I imagine Arlene driving around Fermanagh in one of these now that she's off work.
Parks it up in her garage beside the weights bench and punchbag.
The weights bench and punchbag had to move into the house to make room for the woodchip boiler.

Paul.

RMS Regular
I'm not sure if it warrants the ridiculous price-tag, but I think the G-Wagen is appealing because it has so much presence. Pretend there are no German plates in the below picture and I guarantee this is a dictator's wet dream.

dsc_8690.jpg

Plus, the fact they're actually handy off-road and can be specced to be genuinely quick are bonuses. I don't know how these qualities help an A-Lister manoeuvre life in LA any more easily but there comes a point where a price tag is just numbers, I suppose.

Taz007

RMS Regular
Drives
E92
Always liked these myself but i dont know if i would ever buy one as they go for crazy money for higher spec models, couple of nice brabus ones out there too.

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
A normal G wagon, I think is silly.

The 6x6, the one Hammond tested on TG was very cool, made sense as a big crazy 6 wheel machine.

This particular one in solid Gold is worth £370k

1D23591C-D9A3-47DE-8137-530AD38C6001_zpseywlxlyc.jpeg

The Brabus versions have this interior
3808591D-5682-46D1-B3D1-81E23E4FB0E8_zpssyojtglf.jpeg

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
So a normal sized G-Wagon that you can use everyday is silly but the HUGE 6x6 beast makes sense as a 6 wheel wheeled machine.

Here's a t-shirt for you
kids_imnotcrazy.jpg
Ok so maybe 'makes sense' was the wrong term.. Why would anybody want a standard G wagon when there are so much better looking 4x4s out there.

It just looks better with 6 wheels as one of those insane creations that you really want.

Sheesh you people on here are dynamite!

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Ok so maybe 'makes sense' was the wrong term.. Why would anybody want a standard G wagon when there are so much better looking 4x4s out there.

It just looks better with 6 wheels as one of those insane creations that you really want.

Sheesh you people on here are dynamite!
What same 4x4 has the same mechanical capability to go off-roading and looks better?

Not many can come with proper locking differentials all round or come with proper solid axles anymore.

Your the one the got touchy over a VW CC being called a Passat CC when that's basically is what it is, they've just drop the Passat name on it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.