05 CL500

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Alross1212

RMS Regular
Drives
Mercedes CL500
Long time lurker but first time poster.

Just before Christmas I took the plunge and bought a car that I have been wanting for a looooong time, the W215 CL500. I always thought they had a timeless design and I have been a big fan of pillarless Mercedes Coupes since I bought a 300CE-24 when I was a 20 year old student about 10 years ago. I could have done what my friends do and lease a new BMW320d but where's the fun in that? With the CL I've a 5.0 V8, luxury, 300+bhp, no monthly payments and no big deposit to lose!

The CL is a wonderful car yet flawed in its design. Mercedes didn't quite get the electrics right with these cars though later models are a bit better. The infamous ABC suspension is also prone to regular failure and costly to fix. However with all this in mind I still had to own one of these for myself before they got too old to be a daily driver.

My car is an 05 car, most options ticked and I am the second owner. It's been well looked after and had the ABC pump replaced a year ago. The only issue it has had in my ownership is the Command head unit playing up.

I was planning to keep it a year and sell it on but in all honesty I am enjoying it so much that I don't see what could replace it for my budget and get bigger smiles per gallon on my face. With this in mind I'm going to be further tidying it up. It will be going in for a paint correction in the spring to fix some common rust bubbling and I will replace the suspension with a coil over set up for peace of mind when it eventually breaks. In the meantime I have got it sounding a bit more healthy via some loud pipes

Alross1212

RMS Regular
OP
Alross1212
Drives
Mercedes CL500
IMG_0205.JPG
IMG_0206.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Serious car for the money!

One just like that passed me in Coleraine a couple of weeks ago, Lodge Rd roundabout I think. Was it you? Sounded great!

Alross1212

RMS Regular
OP
Alross1212
Drives
Mercedes CL500
Serious car for the money!

One just like that passed me in Coleraine a couple of weeks ago, Lodge Rd roundabout I think. Was it you? Sounded great!

Yea that was most likely me haha! I'm based up there. Hopefully I wasn't being too antisocial with the noise.

mn5587

RMS Regular
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
Lovely car lad! Ive the baby version, CLK 55. The noise is hard to beat. What exhaust work did you get done? Ive only replaced the back box so far.

I must keep my eyes peeled round coleraine

steenson

RMS Regular
Drives
misc 80's/90's
beautiful! these are fantastic value at the minute before the rise hits, far far better choice that a boring new car!
I'd love a blue one to match my c140 cl!

c_rad

RMS Regular
Always have loved these, seen one come up for sale a while back. Went as far as going to see it, bottled it due to reading about some of issues that can crop up :worried:

Alross1212

RMS Regular
OP
Alross1212
Drives
Mercedes CL500
Lovely car lad! Ive the baby version, CLK 55. The noise is hard to beat. What exhaust work did you get done? Ive only replaced the back box so far.

I must keep my eyes peeled round coleraine

Likewise I will have to keep a lookout! I nearly bought a 04 CLK55 but I had to scratch the CL itch. It has all 4 cats in place going into an x-pipe then straight piped. Zero silencing on the car. Though it has a dummy box on each side for mot. It's very loud on the outside but quite decent inside. The CL has the sound deadening of the S Class and double glazing windows so I felt like I had to go extra loud to really get the inside sound level I wanted.

Alross1212

RMS Regular
OP
Alross1212
Drives
Mercedes CL500
beautiful! these are fantastic value at the minute before the rise hits, far far better choice that a boring new car!
I'd love a blue one to match my c140 cl!

They are really good value and at the bottom of their depreciation curve. I love the C140 and considered one as I love the build quality. A 560SEC is a dream car. I saw a blue C140 CL in Newcastle Co Down over Christmas while I was in my CL. Was that you?

Alross1212

RMS Regular
OP
Alross1212
Drives
Mercedes CL500
Always have loved these, seen one come up for sale a while back. Went as far as going to see it, bottled it due to reading about some of issues that can crop up :worried:

To be honest I don't blame you. They can throw out some hectic bills. I went through the old receipts and the previous owners last service was over half the value of the car, though from a main dealer. If you go in with your eyes open and a budget for unexpected bills then it's ok. Also when you factor in the very little depreciation compared to a new car then it's actually not bad at all. That's what I try to tell myself lol

steenson

RMS Regular
Drives
misc 80's/90's
I may have to make a purchase before they rocket. Mine is blue on blue, could well have been me I've had it all over the place

Alross1212

RMS Regular
OP
Alross1212
Drives
Mercedes CL500
How much do the ABC issues cost to fix?

Each strut is around £900 and then there is the central pump that is also £900 but the worst is that the parts are not the most reliable Mercedes ever made. You can buy reconditioned ones cheaper but there are mixed reports about the build quality. Once one fails it tends to have a domino effect on the system. If the pump or strut blows its tow truck time too which will further add cost.

There has recently been developed a few aftermarket coil over set ups that are around £800 all in. Then fitting on top. That's the way many owners will go I think. The only down side is that when the coil overs are fitted the ABC warning sign lights up unless you get the car reprogrammed.

Minikid

RMS Regular
Drives
Choopay
The ABC valve blocks and high pressure lines also prone to failure now at this age

However ,I love these !!

It sounds absolutely unreal
- better than expected !

Who did your ezhaust work?

Enjoy it !!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.