Steering Wheel Retrim

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I'm thinking about getting a couple of wheels done and I know folk speak very highly of Royal Steering Wheels and Arek in Ballymena too. Any photos posted afterwards always look absolutely fantastic, but how do they wear 1/2 years later etc? Ultimately as it's just another layer of leather stitched over the top, does it not loosen a bit and sag?

Ant

RMS Regular
I got mine done by Arek a couple of years back
Beckenbauer the Z4

wheels still in good shape stitching wise etc, job wise he was quick enough
but... i'd sent pictures of what i'd like (double padding and such) to make it thicker like the msport versions, and tbh he didn't really pay any attention to that at all and was a bit of hassle to chase up for a quote, that's my only real gripes.
(edit > probably cause of the size of the job, his place seemed busy with seats etc everywhere so guessing a steering wheel is a bit small potatos work wise if they've a lot on)

Royals would be my choice having seen their work as well, both are good quality but they seem a little less hassle to deal with , pick stuff off the website and send it over, wheel gets returned.

Last edited:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
How long ago? Any recent photos? You've probably only done about 10 miles in the last 2 years though :party:.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
How long ago? Any recent photos? You've probably only done about 10 miles in the last 2 years though :party:.

There are photos in my build thread somewhere lol. I'll try and remember to get a photo when I get home.

Ant

RMS Regular
Aye, saw the photo of Royals one in your thread. Looks great. Someone in that thread above mentioned £130 too?! Bargain!

aye and iirc mine from arek was £120 so price wise same diff as well now (royals was a bit more expensive previously)

Nigelo

RMS Regular
I got mine done by Tiggy Design, seems to be wearing well (ie no wear)

20160914_161609.jpg

Last edited:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Are they a simple retrim, or a little thicker? I suppose just a retrim would be the thickness of the leather thicker anyway.

And around the £150 mark Richie?

richie_mck

RMS Regular
From memory both wheels are 3mm thicker and they were in around the £150 mark. Couldn't fault the quality or service.

In saying that arek did the retrim of the gear gator in the 944 in alcantara and it is very good too

Last edited:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
The Royal ones do look a wee bit better.

Any wear on the wheel of your R? Ours is a joke, I'll get a picture of it later.

Last edited:

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
Arek done mine in suede but while it was a good job it looked like frig all after 6 months

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Another vote for Royal Steering Wheels here.

It's a very very very good job and is like new two years on, admittedly not with daily use.

It's not just leather stuck over the top of the old material. The old material is cut off and used as a template. This replaces the worn material and is fitted like OE.

You also have options of adding in more padding, removing some etc.

A few people sent me messages asking for more photos of the recovered wheel...

20150611_191427.jpg

20150611_191450.jpg

20150611_191456.jpg

20150611_191505.jpg

20150611_191514.jpg

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Excellent. Will get the Golf one booked in in the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: Ben

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Golf isn't royal though. You need common steering wheels to do yours. :p

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.