F1 2018 : All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
his own stupidity caused a hydraulic failure? hmmm

was actually a good drive to make up ground and not bin it in the rain. Helped hugely by a lot of luck of course. but still took the top step.

Him boucing over the kerbs caused that issue but the team came out and protected him later saying it wasn’t etc. I thought it was him getting frustrated as his laps beforehand were messy

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
Usually I’d agree with you it being F1 but the problems occurred straight after he’d came back onto the track. Either way shame Bottas wasn’t allowed to race him as possibly he’d have beat him on the fresh rubber

scub

Banned
his own stupidity caused a hydraulic failure? hmmm

was actually a good drive to make up ground and not bin it in the rain. Helped hugely by a lot of luck of course. but still took the top step.
his own stupidity did indeed cause the issue if you actually watched the qualifying?
he ran wide & then floored it over the kerb on the way back onto the track .the impact toasting something underneath..

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Commiserations @scub, told you all them negative waves were no good :joy::joy::joy:

Brilliant recovery drive, great result, he and Mercedes will take that :cool:

Very lucky boy, but that's ok, have had his share going the other way.

Always a shame when team orders come into it but had they not called it from the wall then both cars would have taken each other out in the conditions.

Interesting call by ferrari leaving Vettel stuck behind Kimi for so long when they were on different strategies.

pablo

RMS Moderator
his own stupidity did indeed cause the issue if you actually watched the qualifying?
he ran wide & then floored it over the kerb on the way back onto the track .the impact toasting something underneath..
you inspect the car did you? If the team said it wasnt related then it likely wasnt related. Not sure why they would "cover it up".

scub

Banned
Commiserations @scub, told you all them negative waves were no good :joy::joy::joy:

Brilliant recovery drive, great result, he and Mercedes will take that :cool:

Very lucky boy, but that's ok, have had his share going the other way.

Always a shame when team orders come into it but had they not called it from the wall then both cars would have taken each other out in the conditions.

Interesting call by ferrari leaving Vettel stuck behind Kimi for so long when they were on different strategies.
shut up shut up shut up.....

scub

Banned
you inspect the car did you? If the team said it wasnt related then it likely wasnt related. Not sure why they would "cover it up".
the commentators at the time called the exact instant the damage occurred.. After he'd ran wide. didn't hear anything from Mercedes. just pointing out he got very lucky today.
oh & did I mention I hate the arrogant little turd so I may be a tad biased !

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
What was going on with the hair hahaha.

Think the last two races have been season defining for Hamilton, was dead last at Silverstone and came second, had a nightmare qualifying and won the race and his nearest rival crashed out. It’s his to lose imo. Still can’t stand him though. I can’t even watch his interviews anymore.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
There's a long way to go, with all the twists and turns so far it can go any which way I think.

Ferrari's latest upgrade has really worked, plus we're getting to "Ferrari" circuits now. Mercedes do need to step up.

Whoever wins this year will have done it the hard way!

stevyg

RMS Regular
Churchill once said that eating your words is a wholesome diet :p

Apart from Ricciardos retirement the race was pretty uneventful until Hamilton pitted. To me honestly it looked like even if Vettel didn’t crash, Hamilton would’ve won - he’s the master of inclement weather. Bottas had just passed Kimi & Hamilton made up 12 seconds to Vettel in the 5 laps before he crashed and only had 11 seconds to go. Both Ferraris tyres were done, Vettel had to tip-toe around in the rain not to mention his front wing had no end plate. The only drivers that can drive in the wet are Lewis, Max & the Hulk, the earlier the rain started the more likely those 3 would be on the podium.

Very unfortunate for Vettel, I admit I felt terrible for him. Such a small mistake at the worst part of the track with no runoff, half the drivers made much worse mistakes but had plenty of runoff and just kept rolling. Vettel didn’t have that luxury, as soon as he hit the gravel it was all over. Home GP and all, should’ve abided by the old take er easy when she’s greasy.

We all would’ve liked to see Bottas & Hamilton go at it after the SC but understandably they were told to hold position. Mercedes desperately needed those points and even if Bottas was 1st and Lewis 2nd they would’ve said the same thing. Bottas needed to pip Hamilton at the restart and he got very close but was forced to take the damp line and lost some time right before they told him to hold up. Once he was out of DRS, I don’t think he would have been able to pass Hamilton just because of watching Vettel earlier not being able to get close to Kimi. But we’ll never know…

When is Ricciardo going to catch a break? Did RB not just put a new PU in his car this weekend? Starts from the pits and then his engine poos the bed. RB really need to sort out the unreliability.

Great result for Ericcson & Hulk. Not sure what Sauber were thinking throwing full wets on LeClerc. Numbnuts.

Was a good day for Mercedes at their home GP, nice seeing Lewis & Dr Zetsche relationship. Apart from him nearly falling getting up on the podium, I’m sure that’ll be one of the highlights of his career standing on the podium in Germany with his F1 race team getting a 1-2. That’s the first time Mercedes have ever got a 1-2 in Germany.

Imagine working that hard and driving your bones off then getting a trophy that looks like that? What ever happened to “Silverware”? Looked like a piece of plastic a 7 year old girl would design.

Can’t believe we are only half way through the season, seems like it could all be decided at the last race.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Did he know Honda were around the corner? Or did Merc know something about the (then upcoming) engine rules?
It's pretty well known that Mercedes pushed through the regulations that brought about the hybrid era we're 'enjoying' now, and that they were developing for it long before anyone else.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Very sudden too, complications from a shoulder op.

I know he's only just gone, but any news on who is taking over yet?

stevyg

RMS Regular
They had a succession plan in place pretty quick, Camilleri is the new CEO. He was one of the guys behind the Mallaboro Ferrari F1 partnership back in the day and a Ferrari board member. I thought I remember talks of him taking over the F1 team at one point too? I read that Sergio "stepped down" a few days ago suggesting before he went in for his operation that he had handed the reigns to someone else because of health issues. Apparently he was hiding the seriousness of his illness from board members for a while now but such a shame to go like that at only 66. He's done wonders for :RACE on the stock exchange. Even though the brand is stronger than ever, Camilleri has his work cut out for him with the new Hybrids, Ferrari SUV in the works and the F1 team haven't won a championship in 10 years.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.