Tracking Devices

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

hig

RMS Member
Drives
06 impreza sti
Looking to fit a tracker to my ford ranger so looking recommendations as to best device to go for, prices and who to go to.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
If its for logistics they are grand, not a big addition to anti theft as the naughty thief can spike them out in a very short time. We install them but make the above points to the customer

Dave..

RMS Regular
There is a tracker called “Ghost” supposed to be very good, not sure if anyone fits them over here.

Cro

RMS Regular
There is a tracker called “Ghost” supposed to be very good, not sure if anyone fits them over here.
Is that not the special immobiliser that uses button presses to deactivate? I always see Black line performance advertising ‘ghost security’ not sure if that’s the same

Dave..

RMS Regular
Is that not the special immobiliser that uses button presses to deactivate? I always see Black line performance advertising ‘ghost security’ not sure if that’s the same
You are correct it is an immobiliser and not a tracker.

What's a ghost Immobiliser?
The Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser is a new product by Autowatch, a South African company at the forefront of vehicle security technology. It protects your car from key-cloning, hacking, and even key theft.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
If it's for logistics we use Teletrac Navman in work, info it gives you is unreal, most of it not required mind!

hig

RMS Member
OP
H
Drives
06 impreza sti
After talking to Pauline earlier think I will go with the tracker locate device she offers as its solely an anti theft device I'm after, the jamming counter measures featured with this device sorta puts it out in front of all others.

hig

RMS Member
OP
H
Drives
06 impreza sti
499+v.a.t that includes 3 years paid subscription

Reactions: Cro

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
We use the rewire gear, their user interface is brilliant

I've one, although never really need to look at it much...which I guess is good lol. Seems to work fine though, but when I bought, I wasnt aware that for text alerts you need to then buy additional SIM card credits. But the app itself does seem to pick up movement and alert ok via that method.
Never did get the perimeter thing working though..not sure if that needs to use text rather than alerts via the app.

Still, seems to work well.

Boksic

RMS Regular
On a side note to this, does anyone have a tracking device locator?
The work van has one and I'd like to be able to not use it every so often..

It's not an obd port type one, and I didn't see anything glaringly obvious stuck in under the dash.

PM if you prefer as I don't want this turning into a "Boksic wants to know how to stop tracking a stolen van" thread..

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
It may not be an OBD port one...that doesnt mean it isnt wired to the OBD port.

And depending what battery backup any unit might have, simply removing power from it will do nothing other than draw attention to a problem. So you'd need to find it first and get a model number etc to see exactly what can be done.

But it will probably be stuffed up in behind the dash somewhere, and is there no aerial visible you can trace to the device ? Places fitting thee things will want them in and out the door as fast as possible, so highly unlikely it will be anywhere that takes hours to get to.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
I've one, although never really need to look at it much...which I guess is good lol. Seems to work fine though, but when I bought, I wasnt aware that for text alerts you need to then buy additional SIM card credits. But the app itself does seem to pick up movement and alert ok via that method.
Never did get the perimeter thing working though..not sure if that needs to use text rather than alerts via the app.

Still, seems to work well.
Stevie ask them for a m2m sim they cost about £60 for the year, tracks all over eu and uk using various networks. Never bother with the texts tbh just use the interface

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Stevie ask them for a m2m sim they cost about £60 for the year, tracks all over eu and uk using various networks. Never bother with the texts tbh just use the interface

I have the M2M SIM. Although it seems looking at instructions etc, you can get more alerts via SIM. Hasnt been any issue yet though. I think mine can be wired to shutdown the car too via text message, although I never bothered wiring that up.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Can you just get a basic type that you can see on your phone we’re its parked at without all the fancy guff

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.