'92 hilux surf ssrx 2.4

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

407_hdi

RMS Regular
Drives
E-Class / Z4
Good friend of mine had a two door one of these a good few years ago, it was lovely big thing. Lift kit, light bar and nudge bars on it, great going thing but very sore on diesel

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Good news is it's the primer is on it's last legs. Got it facing downhill and it started first time.

Anyone know a breakers yard in the north that might have these? £90 for a new one seems steep.

Mackins in Saintfield or McCombes outside Newcastle would be worth a shot.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Always good getting a delivery of new parts!!
Full Engine gasket and seal set
Fuel pump gasket set
Water pump
Fuel filter
2 rad caps
Thermostat

IMG_20180820_194449~2.jpg

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
So, got the head off it today (cheers again @Nicky for the advice!). All the bolts weren't torque'd on so it's not surprising there was a leak. Then the old fella made a wonder find....leaking core/freeze/Welch/welsh (pick one) plug. The other three are fine.

Anyone have any idea where I could get one in Belfast or anywhere round there? I'd never even heard of the things before.

As she sits for tonight.

IMG_20180821_195202.jpg

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Most decent auto factors should keep a variety of core plugs in stock. If you can get your old 1 out intact you should find it easy enough to get a comparative replacement.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Bit of an update, have everything built back up but it just isnt starting.

Cranks over but its not doing anything at all, no smoke coming out from the exhaust at all. First start when we put it all back together it arched of the busbar on the glow plugs where it connects due to myself not putting it on correctly and as as result fried the fuse, well, what was left of a bodge on it.

New fuse bought & fitted, still nothing.
Checked the relay and it seems to be working fire with current going to the glow plugs. Also tried bypassing it with an old bit of starter wire between the two thicker wires and still nothing.
Glow Plugs checked and all are withing tolerance at 1.2
Fuel is getting to the injectors as when loosened it squirts out.

Anyone any ideas at all? of what else I could look at?
Getting to the point I may have to concede and see about getting someone to look at it. Any idea's for someone round Belfast area that could call out?

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Nope. Replaced some of the seals in as it sat as the pulley was not coming of for love or money. It had three seals replaced and two copper rings.
The leak was coming from the main large rectangle seal.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
F**k. Sakes.
Threw the head up and started stripping it all back this evening. When the old fella was taking the timing belt off he got trigger happy with white marks....so when he put the belt back on it was 180 degrees away from the way it should be.
Hopefully....it hasn't bent anything and in a day or two she will fire up and play ball for a while!

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Well, it lives!
Timing was fine, I was being a plank. When I brought the rest of the timing marks into line they all lined up. So I went through everything AGAIN.
No joy with finding anything obvious, so i admitted defeat, put a post onto FB about a good derv mechanic and sulked onto the Hilux forums. Found one that mentioned about the Spill control valve/solenoid and I remembered we only put it onto the pump by hand tightness but the post I was reading said it would be tight to come off. Got a spanner onto it and it went in around another half a turn, put the necessary back on and gave it a crank.....and it spluttered into life.

Built everything back up and all seems to be good bar a slight leak from a turbo water return pipe that thanks to @PeteMoore we tried a weld but think when the head went on it before it just has fractures all along the bend of it so will be getting a new one made, better safe than sorry.

Good news is no leak from from the diesel pump and the oil leaks seem to have calmed down a lot so over time I'll fix the tiny ones as I go along.
Fingers crossed get it out a run this weekend!

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
It lives!
After numerous attempts at trying mend a lost cause with @PeteMoore and pipes just not fitting round the turbo on the bodge I touched lucky for a return pipe in a breakers (cheers @Nicky ) got it fitted and thats it no longer leaking, seems to be holding temp and not blowing up. All the electrics work....get it out for a good run on Sunday and hopefully it will be grand.

Much needed wash...

IMG_20180913_175518~3.jpg

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
After it running well for a couple of days mostly on short journeys I figured only way to tell is to take it a run, so off to Cork we set lol.
She figured we would at least make it to Dublin so loaded up and set off. Big thing cruises well around 65/70 mph and really is a comfy big bus.

Just past Dublin it was suggested we go to Avoca for lunch, if this is ever suggested...dont go. Over priced for what it is and the place is mental busy that its just not pleasant. Although the sambo's on the ground floor that I found just as we were leaving looked amazing and were only take out. Started up grand and away we went.
Got through the last toll just before Cork and the temp just jumped into the red. Gutted! Quick look under though and one pipe has a slow leak in it so a quick fill up of water after letting the steam out it held temp again and off we set for the last 20km or so.......without boost. It would come on and the little green turbo light would show up around 2.5k and the unmistakable sound of a boost leak. Trundle on to the brothers gaff for beer/food/wine repeat until Monday morning time for the next leg and find the boost leak before we set off. Every single pipe is fine, no splits or pushed off etc. Start it up and there is a really bad rattle, turns out the hard pipe from Turbo round the back of the block into the inlet mani has worked all 4 nuts free, two have escaped with the other two about too. Out to a local garage in Blarney and thankfully they had a couple spare. Bolted back up and we're good to go!

Set off for Kilarney, Dingle, Slea Head drive and then back to Belfast on the Monday and not another bit of bother until Dublin on the return leg and it starts leaking diesel again. So will source a new pump, refurb it and then swap it out. Just need to get a good pulley remover to get its pulley off as old one I have doesn't cut it. Any suggestions?

All in it covered 1200km's over 5 days without any real problems and done around 420km to a tank. More than happy with it now.

Slea Head drive
IMG_20180924_172819~2.jpg

Inch Beach
IMG_20180924_143412~2.jpg

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
And it looks excellent. Have you any big modifying plans for it or just drive it as is.

Great thread

Just enjoy it for now to be honest. The more I look at the various site the more the plans grow but for what I need it for it doesn't need lifted and big tyres.....yet. lol.
Need to get a light bar fitted and toying with the idea of a roof rack built up and welded into place.
If I go for the roof rack it (lightbar) will be built into it, if not fit it into the grill as want it hidden a bit out of the way.

j44nty

RMS Regular
Just enjoy it for now to be honest. The more I look at the various site the more the plans grow but for what I need it for it doesn't need lifted and big tyres.....yet. lol.
Need to get a light bar fitted and toying with the idea of a roof rack built up and welded into place.
If I go for the roof rack it (lightbar) will be built into it, if not fit it into the grill as want it hidden a bit out of the way.
I’m in the midst of fabricating a custom roof rack at the mo for the same reason of some winter light.
I dont think you need a valid reason for big tyres and a lift its just fun
7AD6ED39-A64A-4D21-A844-5CEAE84C0738.jpeg

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I had planned to lift mine and fit big tyres and stuff, but it drove and handled too well to mess with. I done a lot of towing with mine too, so didn’t want to put any extra strain on the 25+ year old gearbox with big tyres and several ton loads.

A set of 32mm wheel spacers fairly helped the look of it on the standard SSR-G diamond finish wheeels though.

You can spend enough on it maintaining it without adding £££ for mods. They’re surprisingly capable off road too, which is why the Russians love them so much.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
They really are a comfy big bus as they are. With the rack and lights sorted out, home made wheel refurb is on the cards. Might look into those spacers too.
I showed her that pic above and asked what she thinks fully expecting a 'that looks ridiculous' response....thinks it looks cool! Which is full approval should that ever happen haha!
@j44nty what light bar you going for?

Haven't taken it off road as yet, but would be rude not too I suppose. Will keep an eye out for the next off road day.

j44nty

RMS Regular
They really are a comfy big bus as they are. With the rack and lights sorted out, home made wheel refurb is on the cards. Might look into those spacers too.
I showed her that pic above and asked what she thinks fully expecting a 'that looks ridiculous' response....thinks it looks cool! Which is full approval should that ever happen haha!
@j44nty what light bar you going for?

Haven't taken it off road as yet, but would be rude not too I suppose. Will keep an eye out for the next off road day.
Still watching reviews on them dont want cheap eBay nonsense but dont want to spend 500 quid on only a bar either so something middle of the road that gets good reviews. After lots of consideration for my needs I am going 2x 9” spots on front bar for distance and flood bar up top for sides and general higher Iight level. 2x small flood bars at the rear of the rack to light the trailer. That’s the winter long plan anyway will see how I get on and update my own thread as I go.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Raptor 4x4 (look them up on Facebook) do lightbars at good money, and they’re very impressive. A friend of mine bought a 50” curved bar off them for £69 and it’s lying in my garage. If it lies here much longer, it’ll end up on the roof of my DAF.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Surprisingly this thing is still going so need to sort a couple of things in the next couple of weeks.
First up is to sort greasing the front hubs, I'm guessing this can only be done with a gun? Any one know of the fitment or is it just a standard one?
Havent a clue what im at and google isn't much help so far so any pointers appreciated!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.