Nissan Silvia S15 Part II

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
A small update as I have been doing quite a bit of travelling with work.

I re-fitted the engine into the car, again running into more issues, not only did I damage some of my fancy purple paint work but I found the gearbox tunnel in need of plenty more sledge hammer massaging.

qDAnUoS.jpg

After having it in and out a few times and getting very frustrated I decided to leave it out until I solve some of the clearance issues, pushing the engine to the side of the garage got me thinking how I was maybe losing my way with the colours of the car a little, there was currently a little too much going on and with the damage to the purple I thought it was now or never. So I got to work.

6c8V78K.jpg

y90UQjA.jpg

Ut9Q2IB.jpg

I laid this down at 23:30 last night using the spare paint from doing the car, looking much better and thankfully didn't cost £6k :p

CtaTiIy.jpg

XGohRdB.jpg

Built the rest back onto it today as I needed to push the car back outside, when it came out into the light I felt really happy about it, much cleaner looking and I am not worried about colours for painting other bits in now.

XRQP7LO.jpg

The engine will be going back in for the final time soon (fingers crossed), I have just had some packages arrive with all my wiring to start making the custom wiring loom.

Got quite a heavy work schedule so the next update may take a few weeks.

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Any updates

Not quite as big an update as I would have hoped for, as I have been in France a bit for work and haven't had much time, I am also waiting on more parts arriving which can be frustrating as it holds me back quite a lot, the post system where I get stuff delivered to is horrific which doesn't help.

Anyway, the biggest killer of Holset turbo's is not having a large enough oil drain, I spent hours researching options and was very much put off with using AN12 fittings with just now restrictive they are, also I wanted something to be heat resistant that met up to the stock sump drain. I got myself some 5mm stainless steel and a length of 22mm stainless tube and set about making one from scratch. I ain't no decent welder, my hand isnt steady enough but I think it came out okay.

bFO1kwU.jpg

61coFDt.jpg

ciFMQ2Q.jpg

LrshQM4.jpg

Now I have got most of the stuff modified and fitting correctly I whipped off both manifolds, oil filter, mounts and water system to give the engine a slight tidy up, it probably wouldn't be noticed in the car but when I was this deep with the engine on a tyre it would be silly not to.

Got the scrubbing brush out and gave it a clean down.
mXh2y0L.jpg

To try and keep the OEM kind of look I went for the black again, brushed on some engine enamel.
QLaYLxU.jpg

CIwdrjb.jpg

0WRakkY.jpg

Gave the alternator, starter and water pump a very quick blast of silver before building it back up again.
jxNL5Sp.jpg

sNy8Wf7.jpg

Got myself a nice braided line for the turbo feed which is a proper good fit, just waiting on the block adapter to arrive now.
uKxpLCf.jpg

Excuse the rocker covers, I am still deciding what I am going to do with them paint wise to compliment the engine bay.

The next few weeks are probably going to be a write off due to working commitments, but hopefully that will give all my bits time to arrive.

Thanks for looking.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I hear you. When you are at the detailed stage of a build you seem to on keep finding little things you need.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
What engine enamel did you use?
Not quite as big an update as I would have hoped for, as I have been in France a bit for work and haven't had much time, I am also waiting on more parts arriving which can be frustrating as it holds me back quite a lot, the post system where I get stuff delivered to is horrific which doesn't help.

Anyway, the biggest killer of Holset turbo's is not having a large enough oil drain, I spent hours researching options and was very much put off with using AN12 fittings with just now restrictive they are, also I wanted something to be heat resistant that met up to the stock sump drain. I got myself some 5mm stainless steel and a length of 22mm stainless tube and set about making one from scratch. I ain't no decent welder, my hand isnt steady enough but I think it came out okay.

bFO1kwU.jpg

61coFDt.jpg

ciFMQ2Q.jpg

LrshQM4.jpg

Now I have got most of the stuff modified and fitting correctly I whipped off both manifolds, oil filter, mounts and water system to give the engine a slight tidy up, it probably wouldn't be noticed in the car but when I was this deep with the engine on a tyre it would be silly not to.

Got the scrubbing brush out and gave it a clean down.
mXh2y0L.jpg

To try and keep the OEM kind of look I went for the black again, brushed on some engine enamel.
QLaYLxU.jpg

CIwdrjb.jpg

0WRakkY.jpg

Gave the alternator, starter and water pump a very quick blast of silver before building it back up again.
jxNL5Sp.jpg

sNy8Wf7.jpg

Got myself a nice braided line for the turbo feed which is a proper good fit, just waiting on the block adapter to arrive now.
uKxpLCf.jpg

Excuse the rocker covers, I am still deciding what I am going to do with them paint wise to compliment the engine bay.

The next few weeks are probably going to be a write off due to working commitments, but hopefully that will give all my bits time to arrive.

Thanks for looking.

What about candy apple red? Powdertek in Belfast did this for mine

2.JPG

3.JPG

What engine enamel did you use? POR15?

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
A quick update for a Sunday evening.

I finally received some bits I had been waiting on, drill bits, a 1/2NPT Tap, 1/2NPT > 10AN fittings and 10AN 90 degree fittings to name a few, all of this was in aid of coilpacks, you can't run coil on plug coilpacks in a 1jz/2jz with the stock cross over pipe, I decided I would bite the bullet and get working on a catch can setup, fairly easy on a 1JZ as the holes are already there, they just need opening up with the drill and tapped.
6rLXigz.jpg

Of course, the old crossover pipe holes are now no good, I drilled the old fittings out and set about welding them up.
JiW4JLn.jpg

QKlgFV2.jpg

Now to make them look pretty
2MMTRU5.jpg

qo2tERd.jpg

IPIChVp.jpg

Fitted my Yaris coilpacks
zMGRpwp.jpg

And added the 1/2NPT fittings with the AN10 90's which look really smart.
8Ajdi9L.jpg

ics7BFk.jpg

The engine looks really great now with this colour scheme, makes it look VERY clean.
O9wHkye.jpg

After a weird and wonderful once in a life time lay in on a Sunday I got up mid afternoon and set about doing this, it fitted much better this time after massaging the gearbox tunnel more, its still tight but a little more adjusting should see it perfect, of course, now I have it back in there is more issues, look how close that wastegate is to the brake booster!!!!
2N0Ool7.jpg

mF2dOZk.jpg

More issues means probably more waiting for parts unfortunately, in the mean time I will be trying to fabricate a gearbox bracket and also trying to work out some more of my stand-alone wiring, more to come :grinning:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Nice effort, engine looks great. Do you expect to be able to run it with that booster using some heat reflection products or are you going to run without the booster?

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
This is an awesome project. Love your, quick updates that are knocking out a week's worth of head scratching for most.

Would the engine vibration not cause it to foul the master cylinder.

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
This is an awesome project. Love your, quick updates that are knocking out a week's worth of head scratching for most.

Would the engine vibration not cause it to foul the master cylinder.
Nice effort, engine looks great. Do you expect to be able to run it with that booster using some heat reflection products or are you going to run without the booster?

Thanks guys, so, the plan is to possibly run a GKTech brake master cylinder delete and also a different clutch cylinder. However people have mixed reports on how good your brake pedal is, Richard Bradley recommends keeping my stock brake master and doing some good heat proofing.

There is actually more space than you think between the wastegate and brake booster but not enough room to stop the heat issues, with the poly engine mounts there shouldn’t be major movement.

I might try and get some proper heat proof stuff of a jet engine if I can snag some from someone’s scrap pile at work!

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
It has been a busy week for me, I set about making some form of gearbox mount to hold the rather large BMW gearbox up, I was a little worried about making it off centre so I done lots of measuring to make sure it was going to work. I ain't no perfect welder but with some 40mm wide 3mm thick box section it is hard to go wrong.

Started out by cutting some 3mm plate to match the gearbox face, with a **** angle grinder and not amazing cutting discs this was quite the challenge, was waiting for a snapped blade to smash me in the face.
KoxGwUb.jpg

Mocked up some box section to get the heights roughly right, if anyone has seen below an Sbody, one side sits 40mm higher than the other.
DFQpMf7.jpg

I forgot to take many pictures in between, but I eventually got to the stage of having it sitting right with some OEM BMW 1 series gearbox bushes, I threw some cheap black paint on it all.
YRsrSt6.jpg

5pruVdU.jpg

Vg9H9ii.jpg

0q6c9Q5.jpg

Checked the angle, 89.40 degrees, very happy with that.
ik1sCfU.jpg

Got back to the bathroom to wash myself and being lost in working on the car all day hadn't even noticed I had burnt all my arm with the welder by wearing a t-shirt.
xYgVFNl.jpg

Added some length to the gear linkage and installed it, which meant I could actually feel what the shifter was like.
l6zGxR2.jpg

w1JtTvz.mp4

Done a test fit of the radiator, it looks fantastic but unfortunately it doesn't work with the setup as I want to keep the viscous fan, unsure what to do now, cut the slam panel and buy an SR20 radiator, or try and customise some form of swirl pot and change the angle the radiator points at.
Y62m0uz.jpg

KuI1s48.jpg

In my last post we talked about an issue with the brake booster being mega close to the wastegate, lots of people told me about moving the wastegate and different ideas, unfortunately with the twin scroll setup it isn't quite that easy so I went for a different solution, the GKTech brake booster delete kit, also got a clutch cylinder adaptor kit too for goods measure. Great service from GKTech, ordered 6 days ago from OZ, delivered yesterday. The pictures show the bottle on the kit, but I will be using the remote reservoir option to mount the reservoir a little further into the corner.
5QS2eCa.jpg

1KdAuFv.jpg

vTrtxpB.jpg

FAmX9xd.jpg

And lastly, a few pictures of the car sitting in the garage looking pretty damn cool from a few feet away.
vcAARyK.jpg

qKnh1qr.jpg

Off for a few weeks working so more when I come back.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Great stuff.

Great work on the mount. I was Just wondering, there looks like there may be quite a bit of leverage on the mount if its only one bolt per side near the front end and the weight supported by the rear end? Its hard to see from the photos so it might not be bad but just something I thought about looking at it, probably will be fine but I'd imagine you could end up running over 500hp through this it could see quite a lot of force?

Is the fan is only hitting the top outlet? Wondering if welding up the top outlet and moving it to the side would work. Would probably require you to find someone to do the welding but shouldn't be too costly.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Really have outdone yourself this time ..m absolutely perfect s body ... Can't wait to hear it running

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
I have been neglecting this slightly, life once again getting in the way and stealing all my time. But I do have an update!!!

Leading on from above, heat is a massive thing when you have the turbo on the same side as the fluids, so in a battle to try and stop my brake/clutch fluid from boiling I have made a custom bottle which mounts in a position where the bonnet closes, maintaining some gravity so the fluid can still get to the cylinders. A bit **** not being able to see the level of fluid but should hopefully work a treat. My TIG work is still not as neat as I would like, but its welded and I am learning every time I work with any aluminium.

qPjfMlT.jpg

z9cMsx0.jpg

kUgjY9s.jpg

vbKBlX5.jpg

Next challenge, radiator, from previous posts you may have seen that my fancy under slam panel radiator was just not cutting it if I wanted to run the viscous fan (A must on JZ swapped Sbody) so I had to do the horrible horrible job of cutting a nice freshly painted slam panel to make some space, cutting up an S15 aint cool for anyone who is wondering. I still need to get some rubber edging to finish it and protect the radiator from the edges.

n3VIyv0.jpg

5V8lrVu.jpg

ILPe7Wr.jpg

Going back to the stock water neck meant I needed to do a little bit of modification, the holset does not require a water feed, so the TIG was out again, cut the pipe off, made a little blank with 5mm aluminium and then welded the blank in.

siKEDyu.jpg

gOl3g31.jpg

YAKAPMB.jpg

This is the part I have been dreading, wiring, I can do it, but sometimes with lots of **** going on it gets confusing, so I have been taking my time, double and triple checking to make sure everything is in the right order. It still is not finished, but I have made the coilpack loom, pinned up the ECU plugs with all the wiring and will soon be starting to terminate all the brand new connectors to the engine. Been using the HPA videos online for some guidance, really love how some of the crimps and glue lined heat shrink have turned out.

iH9StxR.jpg

LCJflcE.jpg

Tnqy2Fo.jpg

tngzUFz.jpg

gIasbhI.jpg

ZShUghb.jpg

TwVytBu.jpg

YD8H0gy.jpg

Managed to grab these for a total steal on eBay, couldn't quite believe I was the only bidder on them. Wilwood Calipers, DB Conversion adapters, 330 discs and braided lines.

d4D1WYw.jpg

yQAQII2.jpg

And last but not least, a shout out to the local Indian for pretty much keeping me alive every time I am in the workshop.

GpqW9rp.jpg

I have just ordered all my exhaust parts, new stainless steel filler rods and a few silly sensors needed to pretty much make everything work, more updates with this soon, more than likely continue the wiring and fit the brakes this weekend coming.

Cheers for looking.