RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
We are avoiding ‘decorative’ rads too, output on them is not great and they are x2-3 the price of standard.

Q.S Gav

RMS Regular
Spray foam insulation between the floor joists today.

Ready for two layers of fireline plasterboard.

3D729B5B-EDC8-46F0-B525-6C11BBDF372A.jpeg

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Merlin grey supply thin on the ground everywhere on the island and no new supply until end of June 🤦🏻‍♂️ F**k

This is the problem I've been finding with an emerald green type cladding. My base has been down approx 8 weeks, eventually got through to Shane, and we're looking back on track.

Cro

RMS Regular
This is the problem I've been finding with an emerald green type cladding. My base has been down approx 8 weeks, eventually got through to Shane, and we're looking back on track.
Happy days. He has said to me at the time that everything was sweet apart from green. Not that it was one I was after but it was most popular he said. He’s calling up on Saturday with some other colour samples for me to check out. Hopefully something decent to choose from or I’m putting a basketball court in

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Happy days. He has said to me at the time that everything was sweet apart from green. Not that it was one I was after but it was most popular he said. He’s calling up on Saturday with some other colour samples for me to check out. Hopefully something decent to choose from or I’m putting a basketball court in
Grey on lighter grey(think its goosewing) here for inspiration.

20201002_124233.jpg

But I also liked the look of the wash place on shore road at Abbey centre.
Screenshot_20210513-164620_Maps.jpg

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
He actually warned me off black on black as it would be a hothouse in the summer. He did show me an anthracite grey they did have which I might get instead with black doors. Ultimately, it will be whatever he can get hold off at the time I guess.

MarkM

RMS Regular
He actually warned me off black on black as it would be a hothouse in the summer. He did show me an anthracite grey they did have which I might get instead with black doors. Ultimately, it will be whatever he can get hold off at the time I guess.

Mine was quite warm in the sun until I put the high and low level vents in it, made a huge difference! I get nothing but positive comments from the local yokels too, which is why I wanted it to be as invisible as possible lol
My base is down a year next month, time flies!

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Got most of the electrical work done today, 2 sparks there all day and me for most of the day wiring most of the lights and all the sockets.

Ended up with 12 5ft Led twins and 10 sockets, 3 10w outside floodlights are still to do. Don't want to annoy the neighbours with bright outside floods though 20w ones are tempting.

Bought some B&Q plastic racking too, I've had one in my other garage 20 years and it's great so I wanted more. I don't need the strength of steel racking but the plastic stuff is rated to 400kg anyway.

The inside lights are great, though I'm deliberating whether to put 2 or 3 in the middle, maybe that's overkill! There's 756w of LED light already.

This is 10 of the 12 of them on fed from a temporary plug............ 😎

DSC_1418.JPG

steeldevil

RMS Regular
Drives
Lexus IS300h
For radiators, I’m thinking one at each end, just enough to take chill out of the air. Located at the two places where chipboard is resting up against the walls.

How about ceiling mounted radiant panels? I can't remember but is your garage floor insulated as well? - standard rads will be trying to heat the air which can be difficult in garages where they are not fully insulated, tight seal around the door etc.

jonny.92

RMS Regular
This is like stepping into the poor house compared to some examples on here :joy:

Recently tackled insulating & sheeting the inside of my shed to prevent it being a fridge in winter and hot box in the summer.

25mm polystyrene sheets & 6mm WBP Plywood top to bottom. Took an age to do 'right', but pleased with the outcome. Some new sockets installed at the same time at the bench and half way down the shed either side.

Had originally planned on painting the ply, but I quite like the natural wood effect now, even if it does feel a bit coffin-like with the door down. Maybe do the roof white or a light grey to break it up.

Planning to do the floor in some sort of epoxy floor paint over the summer.

Before;

20210217_152836.jpg

After;

20210514_085756.jpg

20210514_085807.jpg

20210514_085855.jpg

20210514_085907.jpg

First time I've had a garage big enough to get a car inside

20210319_203229.jpg

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Looking well @jonny.92, what dimensions is this one? I think that's the colour style I'm waiting on for mine. Did you find before the insulation went in that it would be extremes in temperature?

jonny.92

RMS Regular
Looking well @jonny.92, what dimensions is this one? I think that's the colour style I'm waiting on for mine. Did you find before the insulation went in that it would be extremes in temperature?

It's 3.5 x 7M, dead on for one car with plenty of room to walk round. I've had a Q5 in it no problem, just makes it a wee bit tight to work at. My wife drives a TT and you can open both doors out full, near enough.

I bought the shed second hand so didn't pick the colour, but it suits where it is on a farm.

Yeah before the insulation it was either freezing cold or roasting hot, which carries it's own problems with condensation etc. Seems much better now, although a fair bit of work to get it to this point.

I bought the poly/ply from Carryduff Building Supplies who were the cheapest by a mile, even factoring in delivery. There was over £100 difference between them and JP Corry for example.

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
It's 3.5 x 7M, dead on for one car with plenty of room to walk round. I've had a Q5 in it no problem, just makes it a wee bit tight to work at. My wife drives a TT and you can open both doors out full, near enough.

I bought the shed second hand so didn't pick the colour, but it suits where it is on a farm.

Yeah before the insulation it was either freezing cold or roasting hot, which carries it's own problems with condensation etc. Seems much better now, although a fair bit of work to get it to this point.

I bought the poly/ply from Carryduff Building Supplies who were the cheapest by a mile, even factoring in delivery. There was over £100 difference between them and JP Corry for example.

Happy days I've ordered a 4m x 7m one, so very similar. My jury is out on whether to insulate, it'd be easiest to do it when it's just up and empty you see.

Cheers for the recommendation for CBS, I'll keep them in mind if I go down the insulation route.

If you want to PM me the price for the ply & poly that would be great, it'll be a ballpark figure for me to factor in.

Q.S Gav

RMS Regular
How about ceiling mounted radiant panels? I can't remember but is your garage floor insulated as well? - standard rads will be trying to heat the air which can be difficult in garages where they are not fully insulated, tight seal around the door etc.

Yes Alan, I went for 200mm spray foam in between the first floor joists.

The garage is a 150mm blown bead insulated cavity, but the roller doors will only be 40mm insulation, so I guess that is the weak link, then a reliance on the seals.

Bryan

RMS Regular
1621256514000.png

I finally got my 8x8 posts from Rea Sawmills over the weekend. These things seem to be unobtainium at the minute and they were £60 more expensive than first quoted about 2/3 months ago.

Now just to get stuck into getting the base sorted out. The level is about 50cm above the current ground level so I will have some serious filling to do first.

1621256602881.png

Also - what's the best product to protect the bottoms of the posts in the ground?

seanmooney

RMS Regular
View attachment 322871

I finally got my 8x8 posts from Rea Sawmills over the weekend. These things seem to be unobtainium at the minute and they were £60 more expensive than first quoted about 2/3 months ago.

Now just to get stuck into getting the base sorted out. The level is about 50cm above the current ground level so I will have some serious filling to do first.

View attachment 322872

Also - what's the best product to protect the bottoms of the posts in the ground?

Soak the ends in creosote, stand them up in a bucket and leave for a day.

Amazon product ASIN B06WVCSWRZ
Get it in any good builders merchants

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Lads, I'm sure this has been covered before but is planning permission required for the likes of a 5m X 5m steel structure sheds? Also, do the incur extra housing rates?