What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Jesus @Moddie that sucks. Hope you get back on the road with something else soon

IMG_20220926_083045.jpg
Gave mine another coat of Double Speed yesterday before the winter weather starts to come in. Also been itching to shine up the new Goodyear's. I was really thinking of selling it this year for a hot hatch, but thinking of doing another year in it. I'll have to get the wheels refurbished though soon.

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini
It’s a long story but here goes. I’m in the middle of touring Australia. Currently up north in WA. It’s the end of the dry season, haven’t had rain since April. Heard about this remote camping spot from some other travellers. It’s on private property so you need a key to acess it. It’s 15km off the main road. Takes about an hour to drive the 15km 4wd track to the camp site. Towards the end there are a few water crossings. They aren’t very deep, maybe 50-60cm but they are very long and it’s all overgrown and there are multiple ways through.

Got in no problem. Camped right beside the water at the bottom of a waterfall. Went for a swim which was refreshing as it’s been 45°c for a few weeks. Went to sleep and woke up at 1am to heavy rain. This was odd because there was no rain forecast anywhere in the region. Didn’t have any signal to check for an updated report either. Tried to ignore it but it kept getting heavier. Me and the woman agreed if it continued for much longer then we would move out back over the water crossings so we didn’t get stranded if the water levels rose up. At this stage all the flash flood videos I’ve watched are playing through my head. Big flash of lightning happened so we decided to move.

It was now 2am. Started driving out, made it across the first water crossing ok but the visibility was shocking. Rain, foggy windows and the headlights reflecting off all the long grass made it hard to see anything. Got to the second water crossing and I took the most obvious path out, turns out I shoulda kept going straight, instead I veered right. Within a few seconds the car slipped down a rut on the passenger side, engine cut out and water started pouring in from everywhere. Driver side was up to my chest, passenger side up to my neck.

Managed to grab a few electronics, bags, and a 20l water can on the roof. Chances of someone else coming were slim to none and we didn’t wanna just sit about with no signal waiting for someone to maybe come so as soon as it was light enough made the 4.5 hour trek back to the main road. Then took an hour and a half to thumb a lift back to the roadhouse we got the key from. It was 37° when someone picked us up

Car is a total write off. We were living in it too so lost our home. Insurance are paying out. The recovery alone was $3.5k. It sat for about 36hr before being recovered. Can see the water line on the window in this pic. Thankfully there were no crocs here but they are all over the place in this region of Australia
Bloody hell, living nightmare and glad you got out of it ok!

But a hours drive off the main road to the campsite - was the biggest thing I took from that!

Enda

RMS Regular
Drives
M4
It’s a long story but here goes. I’m in the middle of touring Australia. Currently up north in WA. It’s the end of the dry season, haven’t had rain since April. Heard about this remote camping spot from some other travellers. It’s on private property so you need a key to acess it. It’s 15km off the main road. Takes about an hour to drive the 15km 4wd track to the camp site. Towards the end there are a few water crossings. They aren’t very deep, maybe 50-60cm but they are very long and it’s all overgrown and there are multiple ways through.

Got in no problem. Camped right beside the water at the bottom of a waterfall. Went for a swim which was refreshing as it’s been 45°c for a few weeks. Went to sleep and woke up at 1am to heavy rain. This was odd because there was no rain forecast anywhere in the region. Didn’t have any signal to check for an updated report either. Tried to ignore it but it kept getting heavier. Me and the woman agreed if it continued for much longer then we would move out back over the water crossings so we didn’t get stranded if the water levels rose up. At this stage all the flash flood videos I’ve watched are playing through my head. Big flash of lightning happened so we decided to move.

It was now 2am. Started driving out, made it across the first water crossing ok but the visibility was shocking. Rain, foggy windows and the headlights reflecting off all the long grass made it hard to see anything. Got to the second water crossing and I took the most obvious path out, turns out I shoulda kept going straight, instead I veered right. Within a few seconds the car slipped down a rut on the passenger side, engine cut out and water started pouring in from everywhere. Driver side was up to my chest, passenger side up to my neck.

Managed to grab a few electronics, bags, and a 20l water can on the roof. Chances of someone else coming were slim to none and we didn’t wanna just sit about with no signal waiting for someone to maybe come so as soon as it was light enough made the 4.5 hour trek back to the main road. Then took an hour and a half to thumb a lift back to the roadhouse we got the key from. It was 37° when someone picked us up

Car is a total write off. We were living in it too so lost our home. Insurance are paying out. The recovery alone was $3.5k. It sat for about 36hr before being recovered. Can see the water line on the window in this pic. Thankfully there were no crocs here but they are all over the place in this region of Australia
When I was in Oz at the start of the year I watched a program about outback camping and one of them had a camping spot that you had to get a key for, drove up a river but didn’t take the obvious route at one point and had a creek with waterfall at the camping spot. Wonder if it is the same place!

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Got Healy Pass stage done as well, and got very lucky to get a completely clear run of it in both directions, Kerry know how to make awesome driving roads. Even the road from Kenmare to Healy pass is great.

And headed back to Killarney over Molls Gap again, fun to do it downhill.

Front wheels getting less and less white, especially after today 200miles, a lot of which was drive enthusiastically.

F9702F0C-8AC6-46B2-B666-B02A949157F7.jpeg
A8964ADB-8398-4CE5-A970-723C4291DF25.jpeg
C0D5EE5C-75EA-4E4A-884E-FF67FA71E1AD.jpeg
4FC68016-D283-40AF-91D8-2AE8D4BAD96D.jpeg

Moddie

RMS Regular
Drives
mk2 golf
I
When I was in Oz at the start of the year I watched a program about outback camping and one of them had a camping spot that you had to get a key for, drove up a river but didn’t take the obvious route at one point and had a creek with waterfall at the camping spot. Wonder if it is the same place!
It’a called Harry’s Hole near Kununurra. There’s a few videos on YouTube about it

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Got Healy Pass stage done as well, and got very lucky to get a completely clear run of it in both directions, Kerry know how to make awesome driving roads. Even the road from Kenmare to Healy pass is great.

Front wheels getting less and less white, especially after today 200miles, a lot of which was drive enthusiastically.

View attachment 376275View attachment 376277View attachment 376278View attachment 376279

We were there last year and it's one of the nicest parts of the world imo. We started off early on the Sunday and traffic was light and my god it was great.

I would love a pad near Waterville.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo

View attachment 376275View attachment 376277View attachment 376278View attachment 376279

That is stunning - would love to take a long weekend at it next Spring

Was just looking on Google Maps of the rough route - hopefully this link works to a "skyshot"

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
New RMS in to the 911 today there.

Wanted it done right which means installing it square with 13mm of crank showing, so got in touch with @Coog at 3dprintni to print me off the proper tool. Great job, so easy to use! Blows my mind still that you can just print tools 😂

Old seal was a bit of a pain to get out, had to resort the the Mk1 claw hammer!

Now if anyone happens to have a set of camshaft locking tools lying around for the M96/M97 engine please let me know before I buy my own. Got the IMS bearing cover seal to do next and it's recommended to lock the timing.
20220927_164921.jpg

20220927_170729.jpg

20220927_171204.jpg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It was notched so you didn't need to remove that dowel / roll pin btw. Hope it wasn't an arse to remove :joy:

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
It was notched so you didn't need to remove that dowel / roll pin btw. Hope it wasn't an arse to remove :joy:

Ah jesus was it? I'm sure I tried it in all orientations before just pulling the pin out 😂

Was a doddle, didn't even need a ratchet handle to install it, just 3/4 turn of each bolt, diametrically opposed of course and it just pulled it self in. Then undone by hand and came straight out. A breeze!

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Another 200ish miles covered today going through the Gap of Dunloe, Black Valley up to molls gap, down to kenmare and taking the mountain pass to glengarriff which is an awesome bit of road again and all they way down to Mizen head before heading back up to castlemaine where I’m staying.

Cars chewing up the miles and drinking plenty 😂

DA6F5620-1D5C-4561-B6BD-63600E2FB7B8.jpeg
97FC5290-396D-4AED-B88F-0936C0410F04.jpeg
BCBF15C6-47F4-4AB6-95AA-6B734EEA49E1.jpeg

Last edited:

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
That Gap of Dunloe gets really tight in places. Wasn't fun taking an XF through. Definitely not taking the XJR through lol.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
That Gap of Dunloe gets really tight in places. Wasn't fun taking an XF through. Definitely not taking the XJR through lol.

For sure it does and a nightmare if you meet another car. When we went through it, I had a older lady in a Juke coming up behind me, I pulled in and within seconds she had disappeared up the road! She obviously knew it well...

Gambit

RMS Regular
Dropped the wheels of to nuluk.

This is their original colour/diamond cut which i found myself continually questioning do i like - so just decided to get them redone, going for full painted finish instead in bright silver but toned down a notch - collection next week(y)

View attachment 375616

and this is how they look after refurb at nuluk, much prefer the solid colour rather than diamond cut 2 tone finish - just need to get tyres n stuff sorted and get them on teh car now (y)

1664350576453.png

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
We were there last year and it's one of the nicest parts of the world imo. We started off early on the Sunday and traffic was light and my god it was great.

I would love a pad near Waterville.
Traffics not been too bad, tho I am out of season. Still a lot of tourist in wee hire cars tho.

That is stunning - would love to take a long weekend at it next Spring

Was just looking on Google Maps of the rough route - hopefully this link works to a "skyshot"

Didn’t know that was a thing with Google maps. The roads are fantastic for proper driving. Is was down in 2012 with one and then down at the killarney international rally and always Wanted to come back and make a point of driving the roads.

it is bad, really sharp heights that you go over and lose the road too, definitely have to take it handy and zero room to pull in bar at the passing spots, go off the road and you just hit rock.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
That’s another 240ish miles done today. Went to the north end of Dingle Peninsula and drove up into Conor pass which the brings to straight down into Dingle town, then the loop out round slea head. Then I went up to Ballybunion bay after seeing @Tuftys picture of there and currently staying at a friends house in rosscrea before heading for the Wicklow mountains tomorrow morning as the weathers looking good and then I’ll be heading home tomorrow evening as it’s looking to piss it down everywhere on Friday.

FEABF7BC-5A2C-44A6-89E7-7F880F0B709D.jpeg
D406C4BE-17BA-4F87-A615-1887F2A092B3.jpeg
BE96BA87-3267-4173-8A8D-A1A3801CF685.jpeg
3C3DD2C1-BA90-455A-BB82-8FA0FBD951B2.jpeg
37F4E02B-228D-4620-BB61-73D0A028D0F8.jpeg

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
At least you’ve got good visibility on Conor’s pass compared to when I done it last August. - this looks to be the same place
View attachment 376446

Dingle had mainly clear skies as did Blennerville etc on the other side of the pass as well
Last time I was at Conor pass we were on a beach to the north getting sand blasted and started posing it down and got to the top of the pass and Dingle and the south was blue skys and sun Shining 😂