£300 because one of my cars was lifted with no tax

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

CapMan

Banned
Drives
Wait and see!
Not particularly worried about adding to my criminal record, lol.

Defaulting and going to prison for a fine is now proportional to the size of the fine, hence it being 52 days for me. A few years ago i done 2 nights in jail for over £1000 in fines, but its all changed now unfortunately. Might just sue the DVLNI for incompetence when i get out, that'll teach them for messing me about....

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Miss 206 said:
cant back tax, you just have to pay arrears for the time uve missed, after 2 months you'll get an 80 quid fine reducing to 40 quid if paid within 28 days! get the car taxed asap, get the disc down to them and collect the car!

yup was jus about to add that meself, bit tight gettin towed, but it has to b paid, bet u wish u'd lamped 6 months on it now :p

tim

RMS Regular
CapMan said:
52 days for me
My current manager is an ex-prision officer, and he was telling me just the other day how you can work the system and even if you had like 14 days to do you could end up only spending one night in a police custody, you dont even enter jail, you arrive the next morning at 9am for registration at the prison and they let u go that afternoon. i was like thats a feckin joke, but he assured me it was completely legit

CapMan

Banned
Drives
Wait and see!
Thats the way it used to be Tim, now its like i said before, the time you are sent to jail is proportional to the size of the fine.

Last time i done it (in about 2002), it was 7 days i was supposed to do, so i timed it so it was a Bank Holiday on the following Monday/Tuesday so theres no prison releases those days or on any Sunday, so i went into the cop shop on a Thursday night at 10pm (if you are in before 10.30pm then its counted as a 'day in custody') and handed myself in. Ended up doing one night in the police cells then the Friday night in Maghaberry, out first thing on Saturday morning. They even gave me a lift home, £2.00 and a packet of rolling tobacco. Great. :grinning:

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
CapMan said:
A few years ago i done 2 nights in jail for over £1000 in fines, but its all changed now unfortunately.

Those were the days! You and a mate heading down to the police station on a Wednesday night to hand yourselves in for a weeks stay, then they let you out on Friday because it costs too much to keep you over the weekend. Fines paid.(y)

John D

RMS Member
OP
J
What if I want to get a SORN?

Anyone know if I still get the surety back or will I have to get it taxed?
How much would it cost for a 1.5TD corsa for 6 months tax?

Cheers

John D

RMS Member
OP
J
2000 I think it is...

Big problem now though.
I don't have insurance on the car - Been planning on selling and its just been sitting here so didn't need insurance.

Any way around this?
If I get the tax I will get the £120 surety back but I can't get it without insurance.

Would I get the surety back if I got a SORN?

Miss 206

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR GT - Mil
No you wont get the surety back if you sorn it, you may just insure the vehicle for like a day to get it taxed, then un insure the car, SORN the car and claim the tax back from the DVLNI> Job done!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.