03 Honda Hornet CB600F

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
May as well throw a thread up and document a noobs journey into motorbikes!

Recently took the notion to look for a sensible daily driver/beater car to replace my r53 mini to sit alongside the m3. True to form I whittled through every possible option from old clios, volvos, etc. and found a few good examples that would have been ideal. So naturally I followed the next logical step and decided I would get a motorcycle license. I looked into the process and with help from the members here I’m now well on my way with just the practical tests to go.
I planned to wait until I could ride something home but couldn’t help but keep an eye in the classifieds and this popped up locally to me and when I saw it I couldn’t resist give the price and condition.

03 Hornet, only 9100 miles, good history and completely unmolested and brilliant condition!

Hoping to use this thread to keep picking up tips and suggestions from those more experienced.
D3A33D86-CD2E-4A0D-A110-96EB06EA19D8.jpeg
926607D3-8866-4FFB-BBBE-7A55F2B2BDFF.jpeg
529FD6A5-6947-49DE-AB5A-33683D2F2277.jpeg
FB62DA5A-1669-4251-9C5B-BEC490569BFD.jpeg
3D94F1E5-63A3-4956-8B1E-372C6DF75FBD.jpeg
A92D28D7-27F4-4F4B-98B5-190B94129C8A.jpeg

C178A00A-6391-499D-AAAD-BF11E01870EC.jpeg

Attachments

• 06B580A3-FD79-46A0-8236-9B5EC025B3E3.jpeg
    06B580A3-FD79-46A0-8236-9B5EC025B3E3.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 154

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
That looks immaculate!
It’s really too clean for what I was after but tbh it seemed to only be a few hundred quid more than higher mileage, leggier examples and was in front of me so made sense.

Reactions: Lee

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Exactly the same as my first big bike! Genuinely the only bike I regret parting with. -1 +2 front and rear renthal sprockets really transform them and a set of decent confidence inspiring tyres (I always favoured Michelin Pilot Sports on the Hornet but am usually a Pirelli man). So easy to work around compared to my Street Triple that replaced it as well! Enjoy her (y)

Reactions: ALN

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
Saw a street triple pass me on the broken bridge road at Lenaderg yesterday. Hardly you?

I’ll probably do a bit of tinkering come next summer. Fancy a few minor cosmetic upgrades too such as led headlamp, indicators, nicer mirrors though it is nice how original it’s sitting right now.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
That's in stunning condition, wonder was it a dry day toy only? Also was there any hint as to how/if it's protected, ACF50? XCP etc etc

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
That's in stunning condition, wonder was it a dry day toy only? Also was there any hint as to how/if it's protected, ACF50? XCP etc etc

Seems to have been. 2 previous owners, the first kept it for 14 years doing only about 6k miles on it and the guy I got it from was quite OCD with keeping it tidy. He claims the previous owner had it sitting in a heated garage when he lifted it

Lee

RMS Regular
It’s really too clean for what I was after but tbh it seemed to only be a few hundred quid more than higher mileage, leggier examples and was in front of me so made sense.

Makes sense really. They are a desirable bike in that condition.

Enough power to get you down the road too with 100 bhp!

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
That looks great mate, very very clean looking 👌🏻 Perfect first bike!

Bet you can’t wait to get out on it now!

dh1079

RMS Regular
Drives
loads
Looks perfect
Out of all my bikes over the years the hornet was the easiest and most fun to ride

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
So as mentioned in the “Where to start” thread I finally passed my mod 2 just over a week ago and am thrilled. Feels like a great achievement having never previously ridden a motorcycle or any kind and I don’t feel out of place at all on the bike.

First mod had to be heated grips. I plan to use this bike on my 10 mile commute and in colder weather my hands seem to go numb

Went for oxford hot grips and they seem okay. The connectors are absolute dirt and I might just solder the connections.
The little controller module sits quite nicely I think so happy enough overall for £50
FCA268E6-161A-483C-BF02-009AB00F8225.jpeg

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
In case you’re thinking of any cosmetic bits this is my old bike to show you what bellypan, radiator plastics and exhaust look like. I miss her something serious 😢
View attachment 309874
Thanks for that ya bollox lol. I have to say I’m very impressed with the bike. I can’t get over the high revs. I sort of crap myself at 11k lol

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Thanks for that ya bollox lol. I have to say I’m very impressed with the bike. I can’t get over the high revs. I sort of crap myself at 11k lol
The high end rush of a 4 is nice now! They come alive at around 9k rpm if memory serves so just let her sing!
If you do have a notion of plastics like mine in the future, Pyramid are the only company I would recommend. Fit is bang on and the colour match is like factory. 👌

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
Drives
335i MT Touring
Brilliant bikes! Had the older shape one myself and loved it! That shape you have is much nicer!

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
Looking to get a new battery for this. Is there anywhere local to Craigavon/Banbridge that is likely to stock at reasonable money?

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Looking to get a new battery for this. Is there anywhere local to Craigavon/Banbridge that is likely to stock at reasonable money?
I would have always bought my bike batteries (Yuasa) at Halfords with my trade card, and if they didn’t have what I needed in stock Fyffes motor factors in Lurgan are an agent for Yuasa so would have got me sorted.

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
Looking for recommendations re servicing lads. Anyone in Craigavon area worth going to? Or if anyone is up for lending a hand and showing me the ropes lol

Due MOT shortly so like to keep it in line

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
i now use alarm batteries on older bikes, just get one of a similar size. you might have to make some small mods to terminals,brackets but I find they last longer and are much cheaper. if you know any alarm service guys they will give you used ones for nothing and you won,t get cheaper than that.

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
great bikes those Hornets, pretty hard to break them aswell as long as you feed them decent oil they go for ever, being a honda of that era make sure your battery is healthy as they can eat the rec/regulator units but pretty rare.