03 Honda Hornet CB600F

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
Bike passed MOT on Saturday morning. Managed to get a good clear run to get over and back too which was nice!

Have everything ordered ths I need for a service it as well. Just going to tackle it myself as it seems fairly straightforward

4lts Motul 10W40
Hiflo oil filter
Hiflo air filter
4 x NGK CR9 plugs
Magnetic sump plug

Hopefully get this done in next weekend or two

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
This is going to be for sale shortly if anyone is intester in a low milage and very clean bike.
Super bike and a thrill to ride but I think I'm after something less powerful tbh.

IMG_20210418_200220.jpg

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
Have been wrecking my head over my bike dilemma. I have started looking for some lighter/smaller engined bikes and I know it is very much what I want... most of the time. But I might just want something quicker now and again and do like the idea of having options.

In short I think I need 2 bikes so looking at options and something that is light and fun to go with this. Like the idea of a BMW g310gs / Svartpilen 401 / maybe even a monkey or a cub trail if they get released in the UK

Any ideas or thoughts welcome. Hoping to jump on a baby GS at the weekend

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
Drz 400, ninja 400 maybe
The Drz400 is cool. Was also looking at the CRF300 which is similar I guess.

Ninja is the wrong direction for me. Would I be mad to buy a 125 cub? They look cool

Lee

RMS Regular
Have been wrecking my head over my bike dilemma. I have started looking for some lighter/smaller engined bikes and I know it is very much what I want... most of the time. But I might just want something quicker now and again and do like the idea of having options.

In short I think I need 2 bikes so looking at options and something that is light and fun to go with this. Like the idea of a BMW g310gs / Svartpilen 401 / maybe even a monkey or a cub trail if they get released in the UK

Any ideas or thoughts welcome. Hoping to jump on a baby GS at the weekend

You need to get the Hornet away for a good blast south of the border with a couple of others, you'll not want less power then. That's what I think

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica

Ninja is the wrong direction for me. Would I be mad to buy a 125 cub? They look cool
Had a DRZ400 after I sold my hornet strangely enough! Big step back. I wouldn’t advise. If you want something slower but still fun look at a ‘proper’ road going supermoto like a KTM 640/660/690 ( I had a 660). Also had a new Honda Monkey as well I parted with at the start of the year. The novelty wears off quite quickly though.
Bit of a curveball but do you have any interest in classic bikes? Maybe the likes of a Honda 500/4 or Kawasaki Z650 could be interesting. Something to tinker at and still fun and nippy enough to ride without the speed of the Hornet?
Another curveball, any interest in Cruisers? Harley 1200 or something would be considerably slower but they are an acquired taste admittedly.

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
@Lee I agree totally and want to keep the hornet for that sort of thing but my main use would be my short commute or sadly enough just having fun on my own tbh lol. The hornet would be nice kept mega fresh and taken out for a longer trip like that as you suggest for sure!

@mikey A classic would be cool but only to replace the hornet maybe some day. Defo don't want another 'proper' bike. Something smaller, nimble that can be ridden flat out.

I am looking forward to trying out this baby GS actually and think it could be a good option to have alongside the hornet.

Which one of yous feckers on this forum got me going on bikes FFS 🤣 I only wanted one!

Reactions: Lee

Slimsbikers

RMS Regular
Drives
S1000xr
@Lee I agree totally and want to keep the hornet for that sort of thing but my main use would be my short commute or sadly enough just having fun on my own tbh lol. The hornet would be nice kept mega fresh and taken out for a longer trip like that as you suggest for sure!

@mikey A classic would be cool but only to replace the hornet maybe some day. Defo don't want another 'proper' bike. Something smaller, nimble that can be ridden flat out.

I am looking forward to trying out this baby GS actually and think it could be a good option to have alongside the hornet.

Which one of yous feckers on this forum got me going on bikes FFS 🤣 I only wanted one!
The number of bikes you need is whatever you have +1:laughing:.Couple of wee 400 bandits for sale on facebook and gumtree.

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
Down getting a puncture sorted and there's some sort of cruise thing being moved about the yard just sounding amazing. Need one of those too now flip sake.... 🤣🤣

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
I had an MSX125 for a year or so when they first came out, my first ever road bike. Was seriously good craic, just riding it flat out everywhere. I used it to commute into Belfast too and it was so handy for that. Sold it because the novelty kinda wore off, plus I got back what I paid for it brand new, so couldn't really turn it down.

I'd say if I had a bigger bike for the speed thrill, I'd absolutely love another wee MSX125 for blasting about on

Reactions: ALN

Sharkman

RMS Regular
Drives
Stick

I have a drz and it's class for blipping about on, as said it is a step back but with a system, rejet and 3*3 mod opens it up rightly.

Cubs are cool/ retro looking not sure I would want to drop as low as a 125 again though. I've actually been looking at Suzuki burgmans recently for cruising about on but I know I would miss the drz

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
I have a drz and it's class for blipping about on, as said it is a step back but with a system, rejet and 3*3 mod opens it up rightly.

Cubs are cool/ retro looking not sure I would want to drop as low as a 125 again though. I've actually been looking at Suzuki burgmans recently for cruising about on but I know I would miss the drz
My drz had the full works, cams, FCR carb, ‘E’ base gasket to raise compression, super sticky race only wet tyres (sorry officer) and other wee tweaks. I bought the bike like that so could never compare to what it was standard. Don’t get me wrong, a fun wee bike, but my standard KTM 660 made it feel like the brakes were stuck on but then they are two different beasts. Couple of pics of my DRZ with my Hornet too!
AE6C5FAB-A31A-40CC-8915-5A318A64515E.jpeg
A5FE1EC7-3EA1-4D7D-9421-FEDAB77606BC.jpeg

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
Haven't been out on this much just with work and general life but finally got round to servicing it today. I realise now how simple this is and was good fun with the cub who really enjoyed it. I know not particularly exciting but I thought worth a post to possibly encourage someone else to do their own servicing or new to motorbikes like me.

Only 9,475 miles on her
IMG_20210620_121210.jpg

First up was oil, oil filter and may as well replace the sump plug too with a magnetic one.
IMG_20210620_115551.jpg

Ran the bike up to temperature before draining the oil. Sump plug released easily. Oil wasn't quite as dark as the photo but definitely needed changed.
IMG_20210620_120813.jpg

Oil filter was a bit of a pain to get off but came in the end. Could have done with one of those strap wrenches.
IMG_20210620_121301.jpg

Got it!
IMG_20210620_122515.jpg

Magnetic sump plug was only a few quid so may as well. Torqued to spec per the booklet.
IMG_20210620_132720.jpg

Smeared a little oil round the gasket per the instructions and a added a small fill before replacing.
IMG_20210620_132150.jpg

Kinda wish I could have got another half turn to show the branding but whatever.
IMG_20210620_155256.jpg

3.8lts added per the owners booklet and help from the assistant.
IMG_20210620_133656.jpg

The assistant did the air filter for me
IMG_20210620_145032.jpg

IMG_20210620_145441.jpg

IMG_20210620_144859.jpg

IMG_20210620_145453.jpg

Ran the bike for a few mins and checked for any leaks. I realised at this point I dripped oil onto the exhaust manifold when doing the air filter which got quite smokey. Cleaned it all up using anachem laser which did the trick!
All seems good with no leaks and dipstick showed the correct level.

Will do the spark plugs next and need to get something to polish the exhaust back to the standard the previous owner had it!

domo gti

RMS Regular
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
And gone to it's new owner. Good to meet you @domo gti. All the best with it.

Probably one of the cleanest Hornets in the country.

Completely forgot to reply, yes @ALN It was a pleasure to meet you and get the Hornet.
Im over the moon with the bike and look forward to getting it out when the sun appears.
The bike really is like new still and il be keeping it that way if i can!
I will maybe start a new thread to keep history of my ownership.