1.4 vauxhall chugging

tommy309

RMS Regular
Hi lads, the wifes 1.4 meriva, (2006 50k miles) starts and runs ok, but if you drive it hard once ya get to 4k rpm it chuggs and coughs like mad wont go any harder, even coughs a bit on the over run, seems to be down on power too. First thought was fuel filter but i cant find one on it, tried it with the upstream o2 sensor disconnected incase the cat was blocked but made no difference and inside cat looks perfect. Plugs are old but look ok all the same nice and dry etc.
Any tips appreciated.

tommy309

RMS Regular
OP
tommy309
Yeah its a one piece coil pack think ill tey a new one and some plugs first as they're original

Airhead

RMS Regular
You can get a repair kit (contact springs and insulators) for the coil pack. Only around a tenner from Vauxhall and often solves the problem. The contacts corrode away to nothing over time - easy enough to check.

tommy309

RMS Regular
OP
tommy309
Thanks for the help, luckily my friend has an astraeitb the same engine, tried his coil pack and air flow meter, no change, new plugs and no change either. Seems like its gotta be a fuel issue, just a pain as i think u have totake the tank down to get at the pump, doesnt seem to be a flap under the rear seats

tommy309

RMS Regular
OP
tommy309
Right so new plugs, good coil, good afm, good throttle body all tried, no better, ran without airfilter temporary, no good, checked timing, all ok, compression good 150psi per cylinder, took out fuel pump, cleaned the intank filter, no better, ran in a temporary wire to the relay to make pump run all the time, no change. Only seems to be 3 real vacum pipes, checked them all, and blocked each off, still no better. Engine light on, when stationary wont rev past 5k, when on the move itll chug really hard at 4500, wont go beyond. Not sure if this is cause the light is on or this is the fault and thats why the lights on. Need to get a reader onto it really i think, just been messing about cause i havent got one lol

ItsAdamC

RMS Regular
Drives
Scrappers
I'd get the codes read before going any further mate. You'll end up spending a hell of a lot more time on it trying to figure out whats wrong when a code could (but not always) lead you directly to the problem. Good luck! Cars can be a serious pain in the hole at times but hopefully its something cheap and simple :cool:

tommy309

RMS Regular
OP
tommy309
Thankfully its fixed! A friend very kindly lent me a good diagnostic tool today, put it on, cranksensor fault, replaced with known good one. Car starts again, idles better, light goes off by itself and revs fully. Thanks for the advice, easy when u have the gear lol

ItsAdamC

RMS Regular
Drives
Scrappers
Thankfully its fixed! A friend very kindly lent me a good diagnostic tool today, put it on, cranksensor fault, replaced with known good one. Car starts again, idles better, light goes off by itself and revs fully. Thanks for the advice, easy when u have the gear lol
Glad you got it sorted mate!