1.6 HDI DPF Fluid - What’s the story?

RevT

RMS Regular
Ok, I’ve a wee MY14 Citroen Berlingo here, showing as needing diesel additive as it’s reading low.

I know you can buy PAT fluid I think it’s called which is used to top it up but apparently there is a bag/sachet type too.

What’s the story? Do I need a specific brand and how much does it take?

Also, does it have to be done a certain way? There was chat that it might need to be plugged in after to reset it with diagnostic equipment.

What a load of dung by the way, I hate new stuff!!

RevT

RMS Regular
OP
RevT
@Woodcutter - I’m sure you’ll know with selling the stuff and having Berlingos on the road.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
It's a hateful job if you don't have the pump to do it, DPF our and do it on floor. ELOYS fluid I think its called, any motor factor should have it.

RCT

RMS Regular
You need to get a look underneath and see what colour the connector is at the bag/tank at the rear left wheel iirc. That dictates what fluid goes in as your not supposed to mix any of them together. There is 3-4 different types of fluid but the rare one is normally on 508’s. You’ll need a box with the 3 litres and put that into it, then it needs the parameters reset.

We stock the 2x most common types of fluid, I’d near guess you’ll have a green connector on your van. Eloys 176 is one and I think the other is 171 from memory.

Dandy

RMS Regular
Drives
Yours should be 176 fluid, one type has a bag the other is a sealed tank, both are refilled the same way. With a computer you'll need the counters reset and sometimes do a refill.

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
try citroen, i know peugeot filled my friends and reset it, he told me that it was a set price at £9.99 for topping up, unless he is winding me up.

RevT

RMS Regular
OP
RevT
try citroen, i know peugeot filled my friends and reset it, he told me that it was a set price at £9.99 for topping up, unless he is winding me up.

You might be thinking of Adblue top-up?

RevT

RMS Regular
OP
RevT
So I sorted this today, handy job. Two litres of the fluid and the wee refill kit for £72.

Underneath the van just in front of rear offside wheel you will see a plastic trim cover with a few 10mm nuts. Remove these then you’ll see one 13mm nut up above to front right corner of the tank, remove that and then remove the two reusable plastic trim clips holding it to the exhaust heatshield. Once this is done you’ll need to push the tank up slightly and from left to right with with a bit of pressure to slide it out of two clips up above. Then disconnect fluid pipe and electrical plug and set the tank on the floor.

Disconnect the wee U pipe still on the tank and use the filling kit to plug into this pipe and hold the refill bottle above the tank and let gravity and a small bit of squeezing do its job.

Refit in reverse order then reset the diesel additive refill settings using diagnostics.

An hour would easily sort this start to finish.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
ive never heard of this. so you now have to add more than just adblue to diesel cars? fri sake, it will soon he handier to change a battery pack than go through this faff

RevT

RMS Regular
OP
RevT
ive never heard of this. so you now have to add more than just adblue to diesel cars? fri sake, it will soon he handier to change a battery pack than go through this faff

It’s instead of Adblue, before Adblue was developed/used.

Bit of a balls though for a standard van that you have to do this dribble every once in a while.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
My Focus was a topup at 35k, but it was near 70k in reality.

These tanks dose via a reed switch in the filler cap so putting £10 in 4 times uses more fluid than £40 once

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Mine was done there not too long ago on the Citroen C4 picasso, same engine. Supposed to be replaced at 100k, my bag had actually perished before the fluid was done. Simple enough replacement but it was very expensive from Citroen dealer for the replacement part. Luckily, Traynors had one.

Boksic

RMS Regular
Bit late in the game, but know a few ones that refilled this using diesel, with no known ill effects..

colin84

RMS Regular
We had a 2004 2.0 hdi 307 with a similar system. My uncle bought the car new, and bizarrely the first time the refill light came on was about 6-8 years later, he didn't even know there was such a thing on it. He brought it to a Peugeot dealer who refilled it for about £80 IIRC, and it never came back on before I recently sold it.

RevT

RMS Regular
OP
RevT
Bit late in the game, but know a few ones that refilled this using diesel, with no known ill effects..

Heard that too but didn’t want to take the chance to be honest.

dervsport

RMS Regular
It’s instead of Adblue, before Adblue was developed/used.

Bit of a balls though for a standard van that you have to do this dribble every once in a while.

Not instead of adblue, adblue and ELOYS do completely different jobs. Adblue is injected into the exhaust to reduce NOx emissions whereas ELOYS is injected into the fuel to reduce the temperature at which the diesel particulates combust in the DPF.

RevT

RMS Regular
OP
RevT
Not instead of adblue, adblue and ELOYS do completely different jobs. Adblue is injected into the exhaust to reduce NOx emissions whereas ELOYS is injected into the fuel to reduce the temperature at which the diesel particulates combust in the DPF.

What I mean is I don’t need to fill with adblue too.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Adblue is no more difficult than sticking washer fluid in. About 30 seconds and £10 every 6k miles in the VW. The pug system sounds a right balls lol

richie_mck

RMS Regular
When is it supposed to be changed. We’ve 2 MY13 Berlingos from new, one with 102k and the other with 115k and neither have had a warning light or top up. I didn’t even know about it until reading this thread.

RevT

RMS Regular
OP
RevT
When is it supposed to be changed. We’ve 2 MY13 Berlingos from new, one with 102k and the other with 115k and neither have had a warning light or top up. I didn’t even know about it until reading this thread.

Around 100K it tends to come on Richie, 95K with my one but I’ve heard of others getting to 125K or so before it came on.

Apparently when topped up it doesn’t last as long the next time though.

glenn0987

Drives
Berlingo van
Sorry I know this is an old thread but anyone confirm if pat fluid is compatible with my 2013 berlingo 1.6 B9 and if it’s supposed to be eloys 176 as today my top up light came in. Many thanks.
You need to get a look underneath and see what colour the connector is at the bag/tank at the rear left wheel iirc. That dictates what fluid goes in as your not supposed to mix any of them together. There is 3-4 different types of fluid but the rare one is normally on 508’s. You’ll need a box with the 3 litres and put that into it, then it needs the parameters reset.

We stock the 2x most common types of fluid, I’d near guess you’ll have a green connector on your van. Eloys 176 is one and I think the other is 171 from memory.
Is the green connector 176 fluid? If so will pay fluid be compatible? Many thanks.
Sorry I know this is an old thread but anyone confirm if pat fluid is compatible with my 2013 berlingo 1.6 B9 and if it’s supposed to be eloys 176 as today my top up light came in. Many thanks.

Is the green connector 176 fluid? If so will pay fluid be compatible? Many thanks.
Pat fluid^