1.6tdi fuel return popping off

sam_9n

RMS Regular
I have a 2011 1.6TDI Caddy. Bought it recently and 6 days later the thing was fairly close to going up in flames if I hadn’t have stopped.

It seems the fuel return? Pipe Seems to be popping off the side of the injector. New clips and pipe have been fitted. Initially the 4th injector pipe was popping off, I pikey clamped it in with metal cable ties. Drove good for 3 days.

Driving to work on Monday and smoke billowed from the engine bay again, the DPF is constantly trying to regen also so the fuel spilling on it is a massive risk for fire.

The 1st injector pipe has popped off this time and with some pressure as it’s damaged the plastic pipe recess for the metal spring clip.

Bar this the van drives great smooth but slightly underpowered due to the clogged DPF.

Any ideas? Want to hear suggestions before I end up pulling and potentially replacing injectors.

Thanks

IMG_0104.jpeg

dddrrift

RMS Regular
well known for duff injectors the 1.6 CAY engine..... too much return pressure maybe? You done a leak off to see how they are performing?

sam_9n

RMS Regular
OP
sam_9n
well known for duff injectors the 1.6 CAY engine..... too much return pressure maybe? You done a leak off to see how they are performing?
Will try and buy a leak off kit for it.

Any idea what would be causing too much back pressure?

dddrrift

RMS Regular
a scrap injector lol

orrrr, check for some sort of blockage in the return line to the tank maybe?

Last edited:

sam_9n

RMS Regular
OP
sam_9n
a scrap injector lol

orrrr, check for some sort of blockage in the return line to the tank maybe?

Disconnected any return lines and blew them all out. Including return to the fuel tank. Got someone to blow air and I listened into the filler cap and could hear the bubbling.

Noticed this on top of the fuel filter, seems to be metal shavings.

IMG_0197.jpeg